PDA

View Full Version : 38 special

DCP
05-08-2017, 10:49 AM
Need to load 38 special for Modern reproductions.

I have a lot of lubed boolits made up for smokeless

Do I need to de-lube and lube with black powder lube?

Also what about Lee Alox

If I load round ball there wont be any lube

Thanks
DCP

sac
05-08-2017, 12:10 PM
Need to load 38 special for Modern reproductions.

I have a lot of lubed boolits made up for smokeless

Do I need to de-lube and lube with black powder lube?

Also what about Lee Alox

If I load round ball there wont be any lube

Thanks
DCP
If you are using true BP then you will need to use BP lube. Just put your lubed bullets on a cookie sheet with a paper towel and heat up your oven and your smokeless lube will melt off, then pan lube with BP lube. The lube on a revolver helps with fouling, leading in the barrel plus keeping the cylinder moving free. what reproduction are you using? If you are using a ball you should put lube or a wonder wad in front of ball.

big bore 99
05-08-2017, 12:14 PM
I sometimes shoot round balls from a 45 colt. I tumble them in a 50/50 mix of alox and paste wax.

Wayne Smith
05-08-2017, 12:23 PM
Depends on your lube. I use the modified Emmerts for all pistol and BP loads, so my 38's are already loaded with a Bp lube. If your lube uses petroleum products you probably ought to melt it out and replace it.

DCP
05-08-2017, 06:32 PM
If you are using true BP then you will need to use BP lube. Just put your lubed bullets on a cookie sheet with a paper towel and heat up your oven and your smokeless lube will melt off, then pan lube with BP lube. The lube on a revolver helps with fouling, leading in the barrel plus keeping the cylinder moving free. what reproduction are you using? If you are using a ball you should put lube or a wonder wad in front of ball.

Schofield and Open Top

John Barleycorn
05-14-2017, 06:01 PM
Get a pound of American Pioneer Powder (APP) you can use the bullets as is with the smokeless lube.