PDA

View Full Version : excellent day

leadeye
07-17-2008, 09:42 AM
I tried my first set of Ranch Dog wheelweight 265s in my 20 year old 1894 Marlin and my new Ruger Super Blackhawk Bisley. The boolits were on top of 16 grains of 2400 and shot well from both guns, I think I will put a scope on the Marlin and tweak the loads some before deer season. The boolits go in the 444 next. I can't hunt with that here in Indiana but it is fun to shoot.

Hard to top a day ATV riding and target shooting in the nice weather Monday, my wife even found a nice stone arrow head. Made her day.

joatmon
07-17-2008, 09:51 AM
Sounds like an excellent day alright!

Buckshot
07-18-2008, 01:07 AM
..............Yup, those are days you like to think back to when there's 3' of snow on the ground and the forecast is ditto's for the next 10 days :-)

................Buckshot

kingstrider
07-19-2008, 04:20 PM
Well this post helped make my mind up about buying the Ranch Dog 265 mold. Now if I can just get my Marlin to start feeding right I'll be set!

Thin Man
07-19-2008, 04:48 PM
Last year I made my first hunt with a cast boolit - the RD 265 over H110 and fired in a Marlin 1894. Results were a nice 4-point fell to one shot. The boolit entered the left side of the chest and exited from the center of the lower neck. The deer ran about 30 yards and piled up. The alloy was ACWW but the exit hole resembled a J-bullet from being much larger than boolit diameter. You can expect to find me using that same rifle and boolit combination again this year, and on from there.

Ranch Dog
07-19-2008, 07:18 PM
All sounds good to me guys!

kingstrider... its hard to associate forum names with those on my orders but if it is one that piled up because of the health issues in my family it will be out of here and on the way Monday.

Thin Man... You wouldn't have a picture of that buck for the "Trophy Room" pages on my web site would you? I just got my 1894P and I've very interested in working with both of my 44 bullets from this compact Guide Gun!

kingstrider
07-19-2008, 07:42 PM
Hey Michael, I haven't ordered yet but will do so as soon as funds permit. I hope everything is okay with your wife and glad to see you back here.

leadeye
07-20-2008, 03:45 PM
Kingstrider, I have had good luck with that RD 265 and it was my first aluminium mold. I have to tap the gas checks on with a plastic hammer but that is not an issue. After I get some time with it in the 444 I will order the 300 and see how it works.