PDA

View Full Version : pioneer powder

charger 1
07-17-2008, 05:57 AM
Anyone tried the new kid on the block out? Trying to get black pressures in the old 57 snider without the slop and glop.. How is it for accuracy robbing fouling? I'd appreciate comments before I buy cause its about 40 bucks a can up here

August
07-17-2008, 01:24 PM
A lot of guys shoot APP and say it keeps their guns running all day without cleaning. Personally, I think black is easier to work with. The one virtue of APP over black is that it can be run with regular lubes. Other than than, I find it to be inconsistent, difficult to clean, and a wee bit on the powerful side. But, I must say again, a lot of folks around these parts swear by it!!!

Don McDowell
07-17-2008, 03:45 PM
App, Shockeys Gold etc , smoke more than regular bp, really isn't any easier to clean up, and as per manufacturers direction you must clean the brass afterwards as the residue will attack the brass. You must still use a good lube for the bullets, and the stuff costs way more to buy than black. Not much advantage when you get all said and done.

I wish the folks that try and pass the easier to clean up than black bs, would actually use some bp sometime so they'ld maybe come to understand just how wrong they are.:roll:

keeper89
07-17-2008, 05:33 PM
Got to agree with you on that--I usually go two wet patches, one dry, and one with a light coat of sewing machine oil for storage and that seems to be all that's needed as far as the rifles go. Casings get deprimed and a soak in hot water with dish detergent, a rinse and then hung up for a little while before tumbling. A bit more trouble than smokeless but well worth the effort as far as I am concerned......:coffee:

Don McDowell
07-17-2008, 11:43 PM
Keeper I've taken to pouring about an inch of simple green in the bottom of a mayonase jar, then fill it about half with water. When I'm thru shooting for the day just deprime (or not) the cases and plop them in the jug, fill the rest of the way up with water and shake vigourusly. Then pour out all the black water and just run the faucet (or garden hose) into the jug until the water stays clear. Let them dry, and then tumble.
I've also run a test batch without tumbling and have suffered no ill affects.:drinks:

Have taken to doing that even with smokeless fired cases.

07-17-2008, 11:54 PM
Because it was the only thing available when I went to re-up the camp supplies, I have gone through about 5 lbs over last year and so far this year. I have a line running with kids shooting 50 gr charges and .490 RB's. They shoot for a steady 2 hrs a day as fast as they can load. Had very good accuracy at the 25 yard course. The range doesn't go any further. Fouling is not an issue. I don't even dry patch 'em. Cleans easy with "Black Solve" (currently), homemade :Murphy's oil soap/peroxide/alcohol solvent, CVA solvent or just about anything else I can find. Not my first choice but have not been disappointed at all. Over the hundreds of shots taken this summer, haven't had a misfire yet. Well I did have to cap up twice on one loadiing, but that was due to my oiling/storage contamination and not the powder.

charger 1
07-18-2008, 03:24 AM
App, Shockeys Gold etc , smoke more than regular bp, really isn't any easier to clean up, and as per manufacturers direction you must clean the brass afterwards as the residue will attack the brass. You must still use a good lube for the bullets, and the stuff costs way more to buy than black. Not much advantage when you get all said and done.

I wish the folks that try and pass the easier to clean up than black bs, would actually use some bp sometime so they'ld maybe come to understand just how wrong they are.:roll:

Hey the way I see it we live 3 score and ten. If we're not going to try more than one thing thats a boring time:mrgreen:
I have tried the" HOLY black",(even I struggle with that statement). Tried short loads of fast smokeless, now going to try this. Its wrong not to try HOLY black, its also wrong to spend the entire day at the fair and only sample one flavor of pie:mrgreen:

Don McDowell
07-18-2008, 11:17 PM
Well don't want to mess up your pie eatin, but the reason I was able to post the stuff I did about the fakey crap,,,,, cuz I've tried it, been there done that, figured out its a farse, and a feller is just better off to stick with good ol bp. If you're not going to shoot black then shoot smokeless it cheaper than the fake crap, more accurate, and a lot less bother.:drinks:

Old Ironsights
07-18-2008, 11:47 PM

I regularly shock folks by firing 3 or 4 five shot strings with my flinter before running a damp patch... which comes out only slightly green. Cleaner than Swiss or Schutzen. No Carbon Crud at all.

I shoot nothing but pure Black. Cheap Lidu 3F to be exact. Difference is, I sifted it to a consistant granulation and pulled out all the 4-7F/fines before repackaging the bulk powder for my use.

charger 1
07-19-2008, 04:42 AM
Well don't want to mess up your pie eatin, but the reason I was able to post the stuff I did about the fakey crap,,,,, cuz I've tried it, been there done that, figured out its a farse, and a feller is just better off to stick with good ol bp. If you're not going to shoot black then shoot smokeless it cheaper than the fake crap, more accurate, and a lot less bother.:drinks:

I'm getting the sense it wont blow the ol girl up so I'm going to fire the 20 I've loaded, then I guess we're back to lookin for AA 5744. Thanks all:drinks: