PDA

View Full Version : Beeman coated wad cutters dissapointing

Multigunner
05-07-2017, 07:55 AM
Awhile back I recommended the Beeman coated wadcutters as being exceptionally accurate. Well that was because I was using up my stash of these I'd bought many years ago.

I recently bought three tins of the supposedly same pellets but found their recent production is nothing like the older pellets despite bearing the same product number.

The newer pellet is nothing special at all. I doubt its even really coated. The color is pale compared to the old ones and the pellets are shorter.
When using the old pellets I could feel them pre engrave when closing the bolt of my pump up rifles. When loaded into CO2 revolver cylinders the flat nose of the old pellet was plainly visible, with the new ones not so much.

Also on a few of the new ones I could see a very faint line across the flat nose, never saw that on the old ones.

These seem accurate enough from the revolvers, haven't tried them in the rifles yet.
No way of weighing them but the new ones seem lighter as well.

All in all I'm very disappointed that they changed the pellet while keeping the old product number.

I withdraw my recommendation.

GARD72977
05-07-2017, 08:33 AM
I have used them. The were low quality. Izh 46 would not shoot them any better than cheap crossman

melloairman
05-07-2017, 10:48 PM
Awhile back I recommended the Beeman coated wadcutters as being exceptionally accurate. Well that was because I was using up my stash of these I'd bought many years ago.

I recently bought three tins of the supposedly same pellets but found their recent production is nothing like the older pellets despite bearing the same product number.

The newer pellet is nothing special at all. I doubt its even really coated. The color is pale compared to the old ones and the pellets are shorter.
When using the old pellets I could feel them pre engrave when closing the bolt of my pump up rifles. When loaded into CO2 revolver cylinders the flat nose of the old pellet was plainly visible, with the new ones not so much.

Also on a few of the new ones I could see a very faint line across the flat nose, never saw that on the old ones.

These seem accurate enough from the revolvers, haven't tried them in the rifles yet.
No way of weighing them but the new ones seem lighter as well.

All in all I'm very disappointed that they changed the pellet while keeping the old product number.

I withdraw my recommendation.
I understand your feelings . But remember pellets are like cast bullets . Some on those bullets are wrinkled , frosted , have a parting line , and or are out of round . But if they are sized right they can be very accurate in the right situation . If they are accurate at the distance you are shooting at and load right smile and enjoy the hobby . I have been using cheap Daisy WC at 10 yards in all my .177 pistols with good results . Ran low and bought some Gamo WC , Beeman WC , Beeman pointed and Beeman HP. All shoot good in the pistols . All though the Daisys load the easiest then the Gamos and HP . Will use Daisy for the most part . I bought several types of .22 pellets for my Disc. And from past experience I really thought CP would rule . But they were a let down . I needed accuracy out to a max of 20 yards for pest . And the most accurate was the Daisy WC . Weights were about the same , skirt diameter was about the same but the front bearing surface of the Daisy was .001 larger in diameter than the rest of the pellets . I will say that after 25 yards the WC was no better than the rest . Never looked for a longer range accurate pellet because I did not need to shoot farther than the 20 -25 yards . Also PA has all of the .177 pellets I mentioned and several are under $5.00 per 500 . Including the Daisy WC .Marvin

Multigunner
05-07-2017, 10:55 PM
When I ordered these the advert pictured the tin as being nearly identical to the old tin, but when I got them the tins were of a very different color and design.
Don't know where the earlier production pellets were made but the recent production tins are marked as made in China.

I've noticed a few brands of pellets being marked as made in Slovenia, and these have a good rep for accuracy, though they are rather pricey. I may order some of these next.

Using the new wadcutters I had pretty good results plinking cans out to 20 yards with my 38T , but that is in large part because I replaced the overly strong sear spring with a very light spring.
Like all wadcutters these lose velocity quickly, so at 20 yards I had to hold the front sight a bit above the rear sight notch to get them there. Other than that they fly very straight.

My best results with the 38T was with the Gamo 10.5 gr round nose. A long heavy pellet that just fits the cylinder, but is not easy to load through the sliding gate.
Unfortunately The Gamo pellets on the shelves here seem to have fallen victim to deliberate sabotage. The clear tin covers allow one to inspect the pellets before buying and the last three tins I looked at had a high percentage of deformed and scared up pellets. more like sweepings from under the machines. I can't see this being accidental. I think a disgruntled worker did this deliberately.
Too bad, these are a very well designed pellet.

GhostHawk
05-08-2017, 08:55 AM
Some time back I happened to find a tin of Crossman Premier Hollow Point pellets in .22. And I had just bought a pair of Crossman 1322 pistols with the carbine stocks.

Well those CPHP's shot as well in every .22 I have tried them in as any of the other pellets I have found over the years. Now I would not say they are as good as say the really Premium pellets costing 2-4 times as much.

But for the price, and 500 in a tin they did well. So I started stocking those, and stacking them up. I continue to do so. Cost normally runs about 1.2 cents per pellet.

They have been for my my most consistent pellet. Size, weight seems to stay within fairly close tolerances. You do have to do some due diligence.

And you have to decide do you want to go to Pyramyd Air and buy 3 tins, get one free? Or go to walmart and buy enough to get free shipping?

As of this morning the PA CPHP's were 9.95 or almost 1.5 cents ea. But they do an awesome job of packing those pellets so they arrive without dings and problems.

At Walmart the .22 CPHP were 6.47$.

Your mileage may vary, but for my airguns the Crossman Premiers are good enough, and cheap enough that I can afford to shoot all I want.

roysha
05-08-2017, 07:38 PM
Your mileage may vary, but for my airguns the Crossman Premiers are good enough, and cheap enough that I can afford to shoot all I want.

I wholeheartedly agree. They shoot from acceptable to very good in the various 22 springers I own.

Multigunner
05-09-2017, 01:07 AM
Just picked up a near cherry .22 38T and it digests the Crosman Premier Hollow Point very nicely.
I use the CPHP in .22 in my S&W 78g, 38T, and the 13xx carbine I built. The CPHP is very accurate in all of these .22 guns.
The .177 CPHP is accurate enough in my .177 guns, but not quite as accurate as the older Breeman wadcutters I mentioned. The newer production Beeman WC are no more accurate than the CPHP, which is not so bad but I was hoping to have a supply of pellets that was as pin point accurate as the old Beeman pellets.
I burn twenty common pellets shooting at cans for every one premium pellet fired at a target trying for tight groups. Different pellets for different purposes.

I've been using up a lot of pellets and CO2 lately, getting back my eye and trigger control after a long time away from serious shooting.
I learned double action point shooting with a .22 38C many years ago. In fact Crosman once marketed these pistols to the U S Airforce and Civilian Police Departments for indoor training using training films projected on paper screens and the projector hooked up to a mic that stopped the film when it picked up the sound of the shot.

The 38T is a very serious air gun, nearly all metal and built like a tank, while most of the more recent CO2 pistols are more like toys with way too many plastic parts.
Now I have 38T's in both .177 and .22.
The S&W 78g is another very serious CO2 pistol, accurate and powerful and all metal other than the grip panels.

HARRYMPOPE
05-10-2017, 11:49 PM
My Stoeger X5 shot them very well to 20 yards.nearly as good as jsb Exact 7.33s.Not good in my R7 of the same power though.