PDA

View Full Version : Projectile for a Kentucky .50 pistol

Saint
07-17-2008, 02:26 AM
I got a little crazy today and started shooting any .50 cal projectile I had out of my Traditions Kentucky .50 sidelock shown in Avatar and I was surprised with how some of them performed. I started with the standard patched roundball and got my expected results. Then I dropped in a saboted .50 hollow point and could not even hit the paper at 30 yards. Next in line was a Hornady conical lubed with Bore Butter. This one actually performed about the same as the roundball. Next up was another sabot round and a .45 full copper jacket. once again the performance was atrocious. I tried one more sabot load and this one was probably the strangest load ever. A .454 saboted roundball, this one started as kind of a joke but in the end I found it actually performed better than any of the other things I tried that day. I would be interested to know if this is allowed in competition because the difference was incredible. Unfortunately I did not track any of the data for this but I am going to go out again soon and get some data comparisons between the patched roundball and the saboted roundball. Does anyone else have any stories on an accidental discovery like this? We would love to hear them.

missionary5155
07-17-2008, 06:00 AM
I saw you did not try some bird shot ??? Start a long patch about 1 / 2 inch down th barrel.. Fill with whatever size shot you want to fire. Push this a bit into the barrel. Fold the patch into the barrel and ram home... but do not CRUSH it to seat it. I also tried a paper wad but you have to be to delicate for my patience span. Adjust shot charge and size as need. Great for up close snakes, rats, and other critters that seen to forget where home is.

northmn
07-17-2008, 01:45 PM
Most clubs hosting BP shoots would not permit the Sabot. However if the Sabot worked with the round ball you should be able to find a patching that also would. matching the patch to the ball takes a little experimenting. Powder charges also play in. If the standard patch you tried did not work you may have had too loose a combination. What diameter round ball are you shooting and what patch thickness?

Northmn

Saint
07-18-2008, 02:08 AM
I have never had accuracy problems with my .530 ball and .015 patch. I did this out of sheer boredom. If I really want to get decent accuracy I need to get a pistol with a lighter trigger pull. This thing has a very primitive trigger. It can not be adjusted and it has no set trigger. It could still just be in my head.

northmn
07-18-2008, 07:42 AM
I do not know how mechanically inclined you are nor the internals of the lock. You can hone on the sear tmble engagement to lghten the trigget pull. You need a mainspring vise to remove the mainspring which is a handy tool to have for cleaning anyway and a good flat surfaced hone. To get a reasonable trigger pull you need to ahve a lock that has a detent or fly in the tumbler. Its a little part that moves when you cock the gun and keeps it from going into halfcock when using set triggers. I have rough worked the engagement with a Dremmel and a cut off wheel, but I have done this several times. Also if the tumbler is case hardened I can reharden it.

Northmn

fixit
07-18-2008, 12:01 PM
i have an older cva kenty pistol and a rifle to match, both with the 1in66 twists. according to all the 'experts', the only thing that should be able to shoot is a rb. well, i found out that you can't always take the experts at the word! both of the weapons love pure lead pistol bullets. i have a 155 gr. lee semiwadcutter mold that shoots as well as rbs without having to deel with patches. i also have a 255 gr flat nosed round point that shoots way better than it has any right to! cva has always had a reputation for accuracy, and mine bear this out!

mooman76
07-19-2008, 11:03 AM
I have shoot conicals in the 1-66 twist and they shot well for the most part but would have occational fliers so I think they were on the edge of stability.

Old Ironsights
07-19-2008, 07:16 PM
Lee .50 R.E.A.L. Probably the 250gr version. Shoots like a champ out of my 12" .50 ML pistol.

Saint
07-20-2008, 04:25 AM
So I slipped down to the range for a few minutes on my lunch break and pulled out the Kentucky again. This time I loaded her up with some of the new Hornady FPB's. Once more I am finding that all of the things I have been told about these pistols is wrong. The manual says that you can use any projectile you like with these but that PRB is going to be the best accuracy. For anybody who has not seen them yet the Hornady FPB is a full copper jacket ballistic tipped muzzleloader projectile. They are not cheap at about a buck a shot but I have been extremely impressed with them. I initially did not expect my 45 grain charge to give one of these projectiles enough of a kick in the butt to expand the base enough to seal but WOW. These things are awesome. I still did not get a chance to get any info on the shot but here is a little bit of the detail on what I am working with. I am shooting a Traditions Kentucky percussion sidelock with a 1:20 twist with the worst trigger pull known to man. The projectile is a Hornady FPB 350 grain (the only current choice available). P.S. These shot great in my pistol but after dropping them over 90 grains of powder in my inline it was suddenly a new level altogether.

Old Ironsights
07-20-2008, 08:22 AM
Yeah... but can you cast 'em? ;)

Saint
07-21-2008, 12:31 AM
Yeah... but can you cast 'em? ;)
Good point. What am I thinking posting this on Castboolits. I guess I had better get back on track. I just cast about 250 RB's for my C&B and apparently I forgot to check what phase the moon was in and I did not pray to the right gods because I only got about 20 good ones. I should have cleaned the mould better I think.