PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Turkey recipe

LUCKYDAWG13
05-06-2017, 11:04 PM
How do you cook your wild Turkey I usually just Fry mine would like to try something new what's your favorite way to cook it

CastingFool
05-06-2017, 11:17 PM
I usually quarter it so it will fit in a slow cooker. Last one I got, we chose to use a roaster. Couldn't get the lid to close, so we turned it sideways. Didn't pay attention to the time and it got a little overcooked.

Greg S
05-07-2017, 03:25 AM
Breast it out, salt! Pepper and some flower and fry in a pan with salted butter to color. Everything else in a pot/slow cooker and make turkey and dumplings. They are alot leaner than the commercial turkeys and by the time the breast is done, the legs and thighs are dry and tough. Wild ones walk alittle further each day foraging than the average pen raised bird. Good luck.

Lloyd Smale
05-07-2017, 07:18 AM
my favorite way to do a turkey is to brine it and smoke it.

308Jeff
05-07-2017, 07:28 AM
my favorite way to do a turkey is to brine it and smoke it.

Mine too.

Boaz
05-07-2017, 08:15 AM
Me three . Smoke it ! Brining helps tenderize and makes em more juicy but it's a little trouble .

Geezer in NH
05-07-2017, 08:33 AM
Strip the breast out and slice 3/8 inch slices, marinate overnight in Italian dressing then cook it quick on the grill.

LUCKYDAWG13
05-07-2017, 09:38 AM
I did forget to add that I did breast out the Bird when you smoke Turkey do you use a whole turkey or just the breasted out chunk

Pipefitter
05-07-2017, 11:32 AM
If you want to cook it whole get a marinade injector and shoot it up all over the bird (breast several places, legs, and thighs) with melted butter. I use a whole stick of butter in a store bought bird. I used to work at the dairy that made the butter for Butterball turkeys.

MT Gianni
05-07-2017, 06:27 PM
Breast it and bone the thighs as well. Soak in milk overnight then cut it into fingers, spice and pan fry.

LUCKYDAWG13
05-07-2017, 08:09 PM
Breast it and bone the thighs as well. Soak in milk overnight then cut it into fingers, spice and pan fry.

milk or butter milk

Lloyd Smale
05-08-2017, 06:32 AM
I smoke them whole. I try to find a turkey around 10-12 lbs. Big ones just take to long.
I did forget to add that I did breast out the Bird when you smoke Turkey do you use a whole turkey or just the breasted out chunk

Moonie
05-08-2017, 09:23 AM
I also like to smoke them after brining. Next time I will spatchcock it.

MT Gianni
05-08-2017, 11:52 PM
How do you cook your wild Turkey I usually just Fry mine would like to try something new what's your favorite way to cook it
Tough to find a light wild turkey.

T-Bird
05-09-2017, 07:42 AM
make brine from 1/4 cup kosher salt and 1/4 cup brn sugar per qt h2o. soak breast overnight. Tie several strings around it to try to make it as round (cylindrical) as possible so it will cook evenly. Wrap it in bacon and smoke at 250 to 165 in center.

Blackwater
05-12-2017, 06:01 PM
I've never been much of a turkey hunter because traditionally, we haven't had enough turkeys here to hunt. A program was instituted to reintroduce them here, and it's been a big success. Coyotes are giving them big problems, but the turkeys are suriving, at least. A friend brought some down from Ohio with him on a recent visit, and they'd cut the breasts into strips, and his wife cooked them here. She seasoned them, but I can't recall just how, and fried them, and gee golly wow was that one FINE meal! I wish I could remember what temp she fried them at, and it seems she had the burner on med-high, but I cannot certify that. But what she did to it was absolute magic! Wild turkey is a far cry from the traditional store-bought "Butterballs" and the like, but as I said, gee golly wow can it ever be a wonderful meal!

I apologize for my faulty memory. Sure wish I could remember how she does it, but she's a very old-fashioned gal and has lots of insights into cooking all sorts of things. And gee golly wow is she a GOOD cook!

petroid
05-12-2017, 06:42 PM
A few years ago in elementary school my son cane up with this recipe:

First you shoot the turkey out of the sky
Then you cook it at 100 degrees for 30 minutes
Then you eat it

DCP
05-20-2017, 07:35 PM
We put our home made rube on it then we. Rotisserie it, deep fry it, bake it or smoke it.

Rotisserie the skin is delicious and has a slight smoke flavor
Deep fry is very good and moist.
Bake is a traditional taste and make great turkey soup
Smoked has very good smoke flavor but the skin is tough, even better the next day.