PDA

View Full Version : measuring problematic powders solved.

mozeppa
05-06-2017, 06:29 PM
if anyone has tried to measure...

trail boss (cheerios) ack!
700X (like corn flakes) ack ack!
800x (like potato chips!) ack ack ack ack![smilie=b:

i thought about trying to settle the powders in the rotor and then dump it.

well that had limited success ...because it would hang up in the drop tube....and the loads would
be all over the map measure-wise.

then i thought why not settle the powder in the rotor via vibrations and then use vibrations to ensure that all of the measured load gets dumped.

so i built this...

it has a rod threaded into the tool head then a small light weight spring ...then the arm to the switch.

on the down stroke cycle as the case actuates the powder measure it vibrates continuously to the bottom of the stroke cycle.

on the up stroke cycle it stops vibrating an instant before the case clears the powder measure.
as the platform come down at the bottom of the stroke it vibrates again to settle the powder into the rotor.

i loaded 40 rounds as a test with trail boss.

38 out of 40 were dead on 3.7 grains ....the other 2 were 1/10th off 3.6

Wayne Smith
05-08-2017, 08:18 AM
Humm, I'm not a tinkerer and don't use a progressive. I got a B&M.

1_Ogre
05-08-2017, 08:32 AM
For rifle rounds, I use the RCBS ChargeMaster. Not always right on the dot, but just dump the powder back into the hopper and do it again till it comes out right. For handguns, I have the Dillon SDB, and it's usually within 1/10th of a grain. Rifles are different and 1-2tenths of a grain can mean a missed shot. Just the way I do it

earlmck
05-08-2017, 10:44 AM
I had long wondered if vibrating wouldn't improve the repeatability of a powder measure, but never tested the idea. Thanks for doing that mozeppa! If you could do that well with that frothy TrailBoss on the measure on a progressive you are really on to something.

Now I've got to figure how to do it on my old Lock 'n Load.

jetinteriorguy
05-08-2017, 01:33 PM
I tried this using a cell phone vibrator. It didn't seem to help, but it didn't really provide much of a vibrating effect. In my case I just attached the vibrator to the drop tube and activated it with a push button switch manually. I just powered the whole thing with batteries. I didn't want to get too invested in the setup until I knew if it would work. It may have worked if I had a stronger vibrator, but I just shelved the idea and haven't tried anything since.

Iowa Fox
05-08-2017, 01:47 PM
mozeppa thats creative talent at its best. Wouldn't mind seeing a few more pics from different angles. Thanks.

mdi
05-08-2017, 02:26 PM
Some folks have attached aquarium pumps to their powder measure and got more consistent charges. I even read on a forum a guy used a "feminine relaxation device", and attached it to his measure's hopper with rubber bands. Reloaders have been attaching vibration/shaking devices to their powder measures for some time now...