PDA

View Full Version : Colt Trooper needs working on.

Buckshot
11-10-2005, 02:54 AM
...........Colt Trooper 357mag snubbie needs the double action lightened up. Anyone ever been inside one? Any tips, etc?

...............Buckshot

45 2.1
11-10-2005, 07:53 AM
Is it an early one with the leaf mainspring or an late one with the coiled mainspring?

Herb in Pa
11-10-2005, 11:27 PM
If it's a later model try here: http://www.gunsprings.com/1ndex.html

Buckshot
11-11-2005, 03:42 AM
.............I don't know if it's late or early. I haven't taken anything apart yet. I'm chicken. It belongs to one of my daughter's co-workers at the PD. She just left it last weekend while I was asleep with a note that said, "Lighten trigger pull".

The single action pull already seemed lighter then that on my K-38 so I thought no freaking way am I going to lighten THAT! Any lighter and it'd go off if you just thought about it. I called her and she said it was the double action.

...............Buckshot

45 2.1
11-11-2005, 07:58 AM
Take the grips off and see if has a leaf or coil spring! If coils, BUY a Wolff spring kit. If a leaf, take the sideplate off, use a 45 auto firing pin between the leaves of the mainspring. Start with it cocked, place pin in between leaves and note position where it stops, uncock, move pin toward closed end about 1/16" and recock. TEST!!!!!! Keep moving inwards VERY SLOWLY until you get what what you want. DON'T OVERDUE ANYTHING, else you can ruin the mainspring. Slow and easy is the key. This is the way that the old pythons were done.

James Wisner
11-19-2005, 01:35 AM
The first Troopers were just stamped Trooper 357, they also made them in 38 Special. They have a round barrel with a ramp front sight, no shroud for the ejector rod. They have a vee type mainspring, the same TOUCHY, HAND FITTED parts as the Python is in these fine pistols.
Do not stone any edges of the hammer, trigger, hand, or rebound lever, because the timming will change FAST. This is work for a pro. When we used to do this on a regular basis, the stoning and trigger work would be done first and then we would have to retime the action.

The last Troopers are on the Mk III action and uses a coil main spring. They also have a ribbed barrel with a shroud for the ejector rod.
These coil springs can be changed and the timming is not so critcal with them due to the different shape of the hand and rachet. Wolfe make a spring kit for them.

Jim Wisner
Custom Metalsmith

KCSO
11-19-2005, 01:09 PM
If this gun is for serious social prpose send it to a qualified gunmith. You've got the right dope on doing the job on a leaf spring gun, but the difference between lighter and misfires is a VERY slim margain. I always have a couple of spare springs before I start the job, although I prefer to polish the spring down.
Are you willing and able to live with the results if the gun misfires when it is needed most? I just tried to qualify a fellow with a revolver that had been lightened. The gun had 6 misfires out of 50 rounds with DUTY ammo. Duh! It worked just fine with my reloads! Duh!
I never let a duty gun out of the shop unless it can fire 200 rounds of DUTY AMMO without a malfunction, mis fire or bobble. That's why it costs so much. Remember when the shootin' stops the sue'in starts.
"Now gunsmith Buck shot you got your training for this action job from on line posts in an internet forum???"
Trust me, 30 years FI and Gunsmith for PD,s and S.O.'s and untold hours on the witness stand.