PDA

View Full Version : 1862 U.S. Springfield .58 Cal. Sale question

retiredPO
05-06-2017, 08:16 AM
My dad got this rifle around 1950 as payment for a plumbing job..... I inherited it about 20 yrs ago..... when I started casting, I decided to try it out, and it still shoots like a champ. I sucessfully hunted Iowas Muzzleloading seasons with it. but it time to
pass it on..... No idea how to go about marketing something like this..... any help would be appreciated.....

RED333
05-06-2017, 08:25 AM
I have a sword dated to 1864, been in the family from when it was new(so I have been told). It does have initials stamped it the hilt that are tied to my family. it will never leave the family, dad gave it to me, I will give it to one of my kids.
Why not keep it in the family?

trapper9260
05-06-2017, 11:38 AM
I say keep it in family also.I got the 1864 58cal that someone gave it to my dad and it needed some parts and fix.I got it fix. I also had got a bayonet for it also at a gun show. my is a brigesburg.

trapper9260
05-06-2017, 12:33 PM
Here is how my look 194857194858

JBinMN
05-06-2017, 12:47 PM
Ours/with bayonet, has been passed down from generation to generation(5-6) to the oldest son who served in the military. My oldest son has it now. It was acquired by one of my great granddads in Va.. Has not been fired since it was retired at the end of the War Between the States. If I had your decision to make, I would start a tradition/keep it in the family. Your weapon though, so your choice. If I remember right, I was told a while back that some folks will pay up to 1500 bucks for one, but it seems to me that if your Dad gave it to ya, & you made a memory with using it yourself, then maybe selling it isn't the best idea. Sellers remorse is a bummer....

G'luck with whatever ya decide!
:)

KMac
05-06-2017, 01:02 PM
I only sell easily replaceable guns to get ones that are hard to find. Never sell the hard to find ones. And never, ever sell one that was passed down to you for any reason. It is not yours to sell. It is meant to be passed down to someone else.

carbine
05-06-2017, 01:47 PM
I understand the reasons not to sell it. However it is your decision. There is a BB at N-SSA.org just for selling these items. You cant sell it on any of the FB sites. You could post and ask the N-SSA for value

idahoron
05-06-2017, 02:15 PM
I only sell easily replaceable guns to get ones that are hard to find. Never sell the hard to find ones. And never, ever sell one that was passed down to you for any reason. It is not yours to sell. It is meant to be passed down to someone else.

I feel the same way. If they are given to me to pass down they are not mine. I have unfortunately acquired many like this and now I need to start to pass them along. My son is who will get most and he is not in a position to get them. Some need to go to other family members and they are not old enough yet to get them.