PDA

View Full Version : Chrony or PC gun. I can get one

adam_mac84
05-06-2017, 07:35 AM
Have a little bit of spending money for the weekend. I was thinking of getting a PC gun for my cast boolits (shoot only PC). Then I saw the Caldwell chronograph on sale this weekend at cabelas.

If you had to pick one to help you in casting/shooting endeavors. Which if either would you choose. (Plinking. 3 gun. Local IDPA type shooting. No long range/silhouette type shooting)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pergoman
05-06-2017, 07:54 AM
I already have a chronograph and I use it extensively. I wouldn't be without one. The difference between my measured velocities and what the reloading books say is eye opening. I am often trying to hit a power factor for different pistol games I play and the chrono is the only way to ensure this. Too much velocity equates to excessive recoil which leads to slower times. I dry tumble all of my boolits using Smoke's powders. I would not even consider using a PC gun due to the volume I shoot. Last week I shot over 1000 rounds in competition and this week is about the same plus a few hundred in practice. Shake, dump on NSAF, bake, size and load. I bake while I am casting a new batch. Using 2@ 5-6 cavity molds I can cast 800-1000 per hour while my oven bakes 3 batches totaling the same amount that was cast a day or more before.

OS OK
05-06-2017, 09:18 AM
^^^ . . . "what he said...'chrono' first. Load manuals are guidelines but what you actually assemble is a little bit different."

Keep on shakin it for a while, it's a natural movement for men anyway. Besides, you ain't made a mess until you get a hold of a PC gun and spray that stuff all over everywhere! . . . :bigsmyl2:

OptimusPanda
05-06-2017, 09:25 AM
Couldn't agree more. Chronograph first. As said above the differences in velocities between manuals and your own reloads to the same data is vast sometimes.

silverback13
05-06-2017, 09:34 AM
Get chrono. No need for gun. watch all his vids good info.

https://youtu.be/KGqLzWzKfes

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

psweigle
05-06-2017, 09:40 AM
No need for a PC gun. I use smokes powder and the shake n bake. Go with the chrony.

KMac
05-06-2017, 10:24 AM
I also say go with a chrono I have had good luck with smokes powders and the shake and bake process is easy and does a good job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

corbinace
05-06-2017, 12:07 PM
I concur with all of the above posts.

Additionally, the PC gun will be there next month for the same coin as today, should you decide you just have to try spraying.

adam_mac84
05-06-2017, 12:09 PM
Well. Hit the chrony. The basic Caldwell was on sale at cabelas for 69.99.

Bought a $75 gift card on an app for 64.50

Rounded up for conservation for an even 75 OTD. Cost me 64.50 total. I think it's a reasonable deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beagle333
05-06-2017, 12:10 PM
I'm an advocate of the spray gun, but I do say get the chrony first. It's more important, and you can get around spraying and do just fine. You can't guess how fast things are going. ;)

Good deal on the chrony! :drinks:

acoop101
05-06-2017, 02:25 PM
I would get the chrony since shake and bake works so well for me.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

W.R.Buchanan
05-06-2017, 05:02 PM
OK I have to differ on this one point. For what you are shooting there is very little need for a Chronograph, and especially for "Plinking, 3 gun and Local IDPA Shooting." All with the same load?

For this type of shooting it really doesn't matter if the boolits are going 800 or 825 or 850 fps they are only going to travel 25 yards at most.

The other side of this equation is,,, How often are you going to use that Chronograph once you have shot your "one load" thru it ?

The PC gun (Eastwoods?) will deliver more consistent coating results that will have a far greater effect on your shooting, than knowing about how fast the Subsonic Boolit is traveling.

You'll get more bang for your buck from the PC gun for sure.

If you were shooting rifles and working up loads on a regular basis I'd say the Chrono, but you aren't doing that now are you?

Randy

Bookworm
05-06-2017, 05:05 PM
All I will say is this -

I don't think I have EVER hit the velocities claimed in any manual, with the same components.

Case in point: I just chrono'd a 38 Spl load, that the manual claimed at 760fps. I didn't break 680fps. That's more than 10% slower.

As mentioned by pergoman, the difference from expected can be eye opening.

David2011
05-06-2017, 11:11 PM
Bookworm,

I had had a similar experience, except that the book said I should get 1350 fps and the load gave me 1600 fps. Full disclosure: it was a Ruger and Contender only .44 mag load tested in a 7-1/2" Super Blackhawk. My Contender barrel is 14" and doesn't have a cylinder gap to bleed pressure.

Adam, glad you got the chrono. You can PC with a Cool Whip container. I've had a chrono over 10 years and still use it every time I develop a new load.

David

Beagle333
05-06-2017, 11:16 PM
Now that you got it, use it and write down a bunch of loads in your notebook. If you then want a spray gun, you got the chrony on a super sale, you can resell it then for nearly what you paid and get you a spray gun, and you still got all of your favorite loads in your notebook. Win win!!

richmanpoorman
05-06-2017, 11:18 PM
The reason all those shoot over/thru chrnographs are cheap is because they are obsolete.

this:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/523157/labradar-ballistic-velocity-doppler-radar-chronograph

or this:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/628777/magnetospeed-v3-ballistic-chronograph

are far better choices.

They don't blow over, the sun doesn't affect them and you'ld have to be trying to shoot up either one.

Plate plinker
05-07-2017, 12:06 AM
smart move.

Are you shooting at South Kent?

Smk SHoe
05-07-2017, 08:58 AM
The reason all those shoot over/thru chrnographs are cheap is because they are obsolete.

this:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/523157/labradar-ballistic-velocity-doppler-radar-chronograph

or this:

are far better choices.

They don't blow over, the sun doesn't affect them and you'ld have to be trying to shoot up either one.

Sure are a lot nicer and better quality. But cost is a little more than a few extra dollars for the weekend. really like the doppler but even with my birthday discount it's almost 600$. big chunk of change.

Digital Dan
05-07-2017, 09:12 AM

this:

or this:

are far better choices.

Competition will be obsolete when those prices become competitive. Big spread between ~$100 and $550 in my opinion and "new" ain't always more functional.

richmanpoorman
05-07-2017, 10:26 AM
I don't know too many serious shooters to whom $500 is a deal breaker. By the time you buy ONE good rifle, scope, reloading and casting equipment, you're into serious money.

corbinace
05-07-2017, 11:10 AM
I don't know too many serious shooters to whom $500 is a deal breaker. By the time you buy ONE good rifle, scope, reloading and casting equipment, you're into serious money.

You are very fortunate to run with such a well heeled group of shooters. During the time when I was the most the serious shooter of my life, (shooting on a national level) I was the head of a blue collar single income family and I can assure you that even the $89 Chrony was a stretch.

Today, with kids gone and two better incomes, I still would not trade my Chrony for a $600 gadget.

I am not trying to disrespect your opinion, and am happy for your financial situation. I just could not help but point out that not everyone has the same resources and/or priorities.

popper
05-07-2017, 02:11 PM
You can PC without the gun but you need the chrony to insure PF for club shoots. If you don't make major/minor it won't make any difference if you PC or not. Compare yours to the club's to calibrate yours to the club's.
Personally I only chrony rifle loads but I don't shoot competitively and I got it just a few years ago out of curiosity.
IMHO I'd use HiTek for volume club shooting.

Patrick L
05-07-2017, 02:17 PM
Ok, I'll be the one to ask. What the h3ll is a "PC" gun?

richmanpoorman
05-07-2017, 02:30 PM
a "politically correct" gun used to shoot GOP/NRA members shoots recycled paper bullets using compressed Hillary hot air ....... kidding:...... "Powder Coating"

Digital Dan
05-07-2017, 11:12 PM

Deal breaker for me. The expense provides no significant benefit.

If if it served ice tea when the line is cold I would reconsider.

shoot-n-lead
05-07-2017, 11:33 PM
Chrony...I love my PC...but, have no use for PC gun.

Cherokee
05-08-2017, 08:51 AM
I have the LabRadar and an old Oheler chron that served well since 1970's. The LabRadar is easier to set up, doesn't tie up a firing line to setup/take down, and keeps all the records for me so I can download them at home. Expensive, yea but its great. But each to his own desire and wallet. I would have bought the chron first since I don't PC anyway.

Smk SHoe
05-08-2017, 09:55 PM
I can see how a 600$ crony would be worth it, the quick set up and everything, BUT, that is a big investment with little initial return. In the long run saving on components during load development and finding a consistent load quicker will pay benefits. I can shoot 9, 69$ chrony's for that price. Always have to have something to talk about at the range.