PDA

View Full Version : Glass bedding a Savage 340A

AnthonyB
07-16-2008, 09:44 PM
All:
I'm glass bedding a Savage 340A and need some advice. I'd like to free-float the barrel, but the barrel band at the forearm makes that an impossibility as far as I can tell. If I keep the barrel band, there will be pressure on the barrel about two inches from the tip of the forearm. Should I glass bed for contact up to the barrel band or stop a few inches forward of the recoil lug? All suggestions appreciated. Tony

Scrounger
07-16-2008, 10:23 PM
Long time since I examined one of them but, considering how the action sets in the stock, I'd be tempted to try to full length bed the barrel and let the action float.

AnthonyB
07-17-2008, 08:23 AM
Scrounger, that is a very accurate way of describing how the rifle was bedded from the factory. It had "hard" contact points on both sides of the barrel band, and no contact with the stock from the recoil lug back. The stock had one repair in the wrist and was broken again when I got it. I think bedding the recoil lug for some actual contact will stop future cracks.
I'll think on this one a few more days before I mix any epoxy.
Tony

mike in co
07-20-2008, 01:56 AM
i did this to my 222 340 clone. extent the recvr tang, drill hole from rear trigger guard up to the new tang. drill and tap tang (1/4-28). convert a 1/4-28 bolt to a pan head and install and fit.now the revr is two bolt, remove the bbl band, and bed "normally".

mike in co

HeavyMetal
07-20-2008, 02:24 AM
I've bedded the barrel and left the action "floating" on a 30-30 and a 22 hornet. didn't bother to put the barrel band back on and was happy with the way it shot.

I also added a piece of all thread in front of the recoil lug to help prevent stock splits. I just took my dremel and cut me a groove across the stock. acts just like a stock lug without being seen from the outside! With acraglass it was as strong as steel! This does depend on how much wood you have in that area. Some stocks are "fat" some are not!

Bret4207
07-20-2008, 09:08 AM
I sure wish Savage had hired a stock designer with some taste when they made those stocks. I love the rifles, but the stocks were butt ugly. I'm looking at a Savage Super Sporter in 30-'06 right now that suffers from the same problem.

AnthonyB
07-21-2008, 08:59 AM
Fellas, thanks for the replies. I tried to bed the rifle last weekend and managed to find a crack in the stock I hadn't noticed before while trying the get the action and stock separated. I used several sections of threaded brass rod to reinforce the weak areas and will have to clean out the bedding compound in a few areas and try again next weekend. GPC has replacement stocks for around $80; this one has been repaired several times and I may have to go that route. This could turn into an expensive $100 rifle.... Tony

wmitty
07-27-2008, 07:29 PM
I have two 340's i have purchased recently. The barrel band on the second rifle was missing completely so I decided to glue the barrel to the stock. I first repaired the ejector spring (broken) and then removed the excess wood beneath the bottom of the recoil lug so the barrelled action was no longer rocking (pivoting) on the recoil lug. I then cleaned the bottom of the barrel with solvent and bedded the first 2.5 inches of barrel with JB Kwik weld. Not sure what I'll do if I have to get the stock off, but I shot both rifles yesterday at fifty yards with open sites and the "glue job" shot noticeably better than the earlier rifle with the barrel band in place. Had one 3 shot group with the 180 RCBS SP and 29 gr of surplus 4895 in one inch and these 55 year old eyes can't see open sites anymore. I plan to go ahead and remove the barrel band from the second rifle and epoxy it in place also.

smokemjoe
07-29-2008, 10:06 AM
I grew up with one in 222 in the 60s,cast bullets only. How it shot then why I wouldnt put up with today. I dont have one now, but couldnt you add a front and rear tang bolt and get rid of the barrel band, Thanks- Joe

mwohlenhaus
10-28-2008, 09:53 PM
sorry to dig up old posts, I have a 340 E in .222 that has been bedded. the smith had one in the 60's and said it would shoot, so I let him bed it. With a luepold 3-9 vari x 2 50 gr v-max and 24.5 gr. of BLC-2 I got a hole on the paper at 100 yds that had barely visible ears. I never actually measured the group (3 shot) but I initially thought I missed twice. The smith retained the single bolt and bedded fore and aft of it with aluminum and glass. he bedded about an inch onto the barrel and removed the ugly band. when reassembling the rifle I just have to tighten the action bolt up until it won't turn anymore. very happy with it.

smokemjoe
10-30-2008, 04:14 PM
I just got a 30-30 in one now that had the stuck bolt on. Were your actions drilled and tapped for the side mounts or what , The 2 rifles I had 40 years ago,22 hornet and 222 and had mounts, This 30-30 isnt tapped but for 2 hole at the rear end of the action and what fits on it. Are your bolt handles pinned on, soldered or press on, Mine came lose. Thanks for the help. Glass is next, Joe

HeavyMetal
10-30-2008, 09:26 PM
Smokeemjoe:
Sounds like your 340 was drilled for a factory peep sight

tim-stock
09-07-2010, 12:54 PM
Smokeemjoe:
that sounds to be funny

fecmech
09-07-2010, 05:14 PM
Smokeemjoe:
Thats what I have and I installed a Williams Peep on it. I bought a scope mount off a fellow on the board but I'm not sure about where to drill the mount holes. Anyone have a picture of their 340 with a scope mount on it, it would be helpful to me??