PDA

View Full Version : Bench prime

holsterguy
05-05-2017, 06:52 PM
Hey guys and girls.
Have a question that I think I read the answer to, but can't find it.
Has anybody tried a different primer tray on the lee auto bench prime? I'm having a heck of a time getting lp primers to feed right.

VHoward
05-05-2017, 07:08 PM
The old Lee round tray will fit. Hard to find one if not impossible as they have been discontinued. I despise the new square folding primer trays.

holsterguy
05-05-2017, 07:13 PM
Thanks! I can't stand it either. I keep wondering how long before the "hinge" wears out.

jetinteriorguy
05-10-2017, 06:42 AM
Ya got that right. Lee needs to pull their head out of their patootie and go back to the round trays. The folding primer tray is the single biggest *** piece of reloading equipment I've seen in over 30 years of reloading. I like Lee equipment and use a lot of it with good satisfaction, but they missed the boat on this one.

44magLeo
05-14-2017, 11:17 AM
I have an old round Auto Prime tool, I have a Ergo prime, I just got the bench prime.
The primer tray from the Auto prime will NOT work in the Bench Prime. The link that pushes up the pin that lifts the primer on the bench prime is too wide to fit into the plastic holding the pin.
If you have one of the round Auto Prime tools you can look at the round end that pushes on the pin and see it has the sides ground away to fit the plastic.
Compare it to the Bench Prime. The Auto Prime link is also tapered from the pivot point on the lever end toward the round end that pushes the pin. The bench prime does not.
If you put the Auto Prime link into the bench prime this taper binds on parts inside the housing of the Bench Prime.
If you want to use one of the Round trays on the bench prime you need to grind away the sides off the Bench prime link as the Auto Prime has.
I haven't used the bench prime yet but will try using it as it is.
Leo

Gillie Dog
05-14-2017, 12:27 PM
Leo,

Just the round tray.....not the small or large adapter also.

The round trays work on my Ergo Prime and Bench Prime just fine. They push right into the new adapters just right.

Lee sent me all new/latest generation (no idea what that means) folding trays and I had a little better success but in the end the old round trays make life easy/good.

GD