PDA

View Full Version : weird ejection issue??

rufracer
07-16-2008, 08:52 PM
my puma 92 .454 fails to eject every 5-10 shots. It only seems to happen with fired cases. The ejector seems to be geting plenty of bite judgeing by the marks on the rims, but it will still leave the case in the chamber. I noticed the other day with one jam that the ejector would pull the case almost all the way out and then slip off the rim, leaving a decent gouge. The weird part is that the case would then pull itself back into the chamber as if there were a vacume, so I checked the bore for a lodged boolit, just in case, but it was all clear. No vacume. It did it several times, even when the rifle was pointed up. Is it case bulge?

454PB
07-16-2008, 10:35 PM
What brand of brass? I have the same rifle, and it has never done this. In fact, I normally try to catch the empty before it ejects, and it's so forceful I fail to intercept it about half the time.

August
07-17-2008, 12:20 AM
I recently had a similar problem with a Marlin. Turned out the chamber was very rough, had engraved the shell casings, and upon reloading the engravings matched the ridges in the chamber to form a very strong bond between cartridge and gun. Had to drive them out with a dowel.

Honed the chamber, problem solved.

So, careful inspection of the chamber seems to be one of the things to check off in a search for a solution to your situation. Is it rough? Has it gotten ringed? Are dimensions correct?

You ought to be able to do this with a dental mirror and good lighting, but it may require a chamber cast to be sure -- assuming you can get a chamber cast out of the gun after making it.

charger 1
07-17-2008, 06:14 AM
Any dents, taper, etc on the ones that do come out? I think if you chamber cast you'll be bashing it out with a steel rod. I wouldnt be[smilie=1:

rufracer
07-17-2008, 02:15 PM
It pulls them out smoothly, and then they slide back in like there is a vacume. Ill check the cases tonight and see if they are mis-shaped. The rifle is at my arms dealers shop right now getting looked at. Im gonna feel stupid when the old ex-spec ops guy tells me im loading them too hot or something.

J Miller
07-19-2008, 05:24 PM
my puma 92 .454 fails to eject every 5-10 shots. It only seems to happen with fired cases. The ejector seems to be geting plenty of bite judgeing by the marks on the rims, but it will still leave the case in the chamber. I noticed the other day with one jam that the ejector would pull the case almost all the way out and then slip off the rim, leaving a decent gouge. The weird part is that the case would then pull itself back into the chamber as if there were a vacume, so I checked the bore for a lodged boolit, just in case, but it was all clear. No vacume. It did it several times, even when the rifle was pointed up. Is it case bulge?

Rufracer,

The ejector on the Puma is spring loaded. When the bolt gets back to a certain point the ejector kicks out and throws the case out. If the extractor hook is machined at an angle and slips off the case at the right time, such as yours, the ejector will spring out and kick the case back in the chamber.
I'd check the extractor hook before I did anything else.

Just my thought on this question.

Joe

rufracer
07-28-2008, 11:29 AM
Joe,

Thanks. That makes sence.