PDA

View Full Version : S&W Shield?

fatelk
05-05-2017, 03:04 PM
Somehow I got on Palmetto State Armory's mailing list so I get emails every day with great "deals". I need to unsubscribe because I just can't buy anything in the near future, but in the last couple days I've been seeing some pretty great prices on S&W Shield pistols.

They have the .40 S&W Shield for $280 shipped, with a $75 mail in rebate, and the .45 Shield for $300 shipped, again with the $75 rebate. The local gun shop does $15 transfers, so after the rebate the .45 would come to $240 total. Gotta be something wrong with them, right? Seems too cheap for a decent gun.

Electric88
05-05-2017, 03:26 PM
I don't know about the .40 shield, but the 45 has a shipping price of $15. Just a heads up.

fatelk
05-05-2017, 04:13 PM
Oh, you're right. I missed that. I saw an earlier ad that said "free shipping", I guess, and made an assumption. It still seems like too good of a price for anything that's worthwhile.

Its not really relevant for me, anyhow, as I need another gun like I need a hole in my head, but it's hard not to be tempted if it's a good gun. I really need to go unsubscribe from their email list.

DerekP Houston
05-05-2017, 04:41 PM
I'm guessing just an over supply and little demand. They *were* a hot ticket item when first announced, i wonder if the backstock is finally catching up to actual demand. A coworker of mine has one in 40 cal and he says it's a bit snappy. I had my eye on a 9mm version.

bdicki
05-05-2017, 04:51 PM
I have a 9mm and a 40S&W they're nice carry pistols. Some people don't like the safety on them, but you have a choice you can use it or just leave it off.

Electric88
05-05-2017, 05:25 PM
I'm with you fatelk. If I show up with another firearm right me, I suspect I could get shot with it.

Oh well. It would be a nice addition. ..

tygar
05-05-2017, 09:08 PM
I just got the 45 Shield, without safety, from CDNN at $299.

So far I have only run about 60rds thru it, because, the mags are extremely hard to load by hand. Had to use a loader.

Been leaving them loaded to try & get the springs to allow hand loading.

Will see how it shoots & reliability, but it's not lighter than other 45s I carry, e.g. Kimber Ultra, Officers, Defender, S&W 325PD & not really smaller than the autos.

May be good, we'll find out.

35remington
05-05-2017, 09:16 PM
Actually the 45 Shield is in fact a little lighter than all of the compact autos mentioned by tygar above. Kimber and Colt are 24-25 ounces in Defender and Ultra Carry, and the Officers weighs more than that. The only one that is not heavier is the 325 PD revolver.

Smaller? No. Thinner? Yes.

Mine is quite good, and worth the price.

Whatever you do, don't weaken the springs in the magazine by cutting off a few coils or sand off the scallops on the bottom of the slide!

Lefty Red
05-05-2017, 09:30 PM
The Shield is a very good pistol! In any caliber!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tygar
05-05-2017, 09:40 PM
Man another nitpicker! I weighed the Kimber, & 325PD, & Shield & rough measured the size.

We're talking within 1.5-2oz with both loaded with the same 6rds. The width difference on the slide needs a micrometer to measure the difference.

Because of the rubber grips the autos grip is wider, but then are easier to grip.

The PD is 2oz lighter.

Point is, the difference is negligible.

I didn't say it wasn't good or worth it, just that it needed more testing.

Been shooting autos for almost 60yrs. Know what to do with them.

35remington
05-05-2017, 10:24 PM
Pointing out that it is, in fact, lighter is not nitpicking, just steering you and readers toward the actual facts of the matter. You did say "it is not lighter!" A 45 auto also can only be so small and still function. Lots lighter is not possible in a gun with similar capacity and it is unreasonable to expect the Shield to be "lots" lighter as it is not…..but it is in fact lighter than all your other mentioned autoloaders

Complaining about the magazine spring strength is fine and I do it myself. It is also worth pointing out here for the uninitiated that the magazine spring strength is absolutely necessary or the gun won't run. Poor magazine spring strength by comparison is a major reason why "concealable" shrunk in the wash 1911's jam more often than the full size variants. My luck with them has been generally poor.

texasnative46
05-06-2017, 12:25 AM
Lefty Red,

I bought my 9mm Shield a week ago & like it enough that I've retired my revolver that I've carried for years every day concealed. - Best 249.oo that I've spent lately.

Bte, a company on www.ebay.com (http://www.ebay.com) called "my holster" sells a thumb-break OTB holster that's a SCREAMING BARGAIN at 28.89 delivered.= NICE leather & leather-handwork, too.
(I've bought worse holsters for 3-4X the money.)

yours, tex

knifemaker
05-06-2017, 12:36 AM
If you did some research, you will find far more positive good reports on the S&W Shield being a reliable accurate firearm. The magazine springs are powerful and makes reloading the last 1-2 rounds a tough go. Purchasing a Maglula magazine loader will solve that problem.

CastingFool
05-06-2017, 07:14 AM
I really like my Shield. Trigger is good, and just fits my hand perfectly. Wouldn't mind having one in 45 acp.

Lefty Red
05-06-2017, 07:20 AM
Lefty Red,

I bought my 9mm Shield a week ago & like it enough that I've retired my revolver that I've carried for years every day concealed. - Best 249.oo that I've spent lately.

Bte, a company on www.ebay.com (http://www.ebay.com) called "my holster" sells a thumb-break OTB holster that's a SCREAMING BARGAIN at 28.89 delivered.= NICE leather & leather-handwork, too.
(I've bought worse holsters for 3-4X the money.)

yours, satx

They are nice pistols! I have had one in each caliber and if they were a bit thicker, I would have kept one.

Rumor has it, the 2.0 version are due out at the end of the year. Suppose to be completely ambidextrous. And so are the Compacts in the M&P line. So fingers crossed.

I looked at my_holster seller on eBay and they look like a good American made holster from FL.

Don't know is I could retire my snubbies. Just too comfortable to throw in the pocket.
But am looking for a replacement for the Baby Glock, so hoping the American made M&P Compacts in 2.0 are as good as the Duty sized 2.0s.

Or if S&W wanted to make a 40cal Shield on the Shield 45's Frame, a tad wider, and bump the capacity up to 8/9 with a flush magazine then I'm game!

But hard to go wrong with a Shield NTS in any caliber.

Lefty

DerekP Houston
05-06-2017, 10:15 AM
Well brownells has em on sale today, I went ahead and asked the wife for permission and got approval! 9mm 8+1 w/safety for 294.99 shipped to my ffl, $20 transfer and still get the $75 mail in rebate. I can't believe I got it for cheaper out the door than my bersa 380.

Any Cal.
05-08-2017, 01:46 AM
They are excellent IMO. I paid $369+ tax a while back, and thought it was worth it. It is a smaller gun that shoots like a larger one. I even liked the thumb safety. Only drawback to me was that the trigger was a bit heavy with overtravel, so wasn't a great target shooting gun. Wasn't bad, just slightly coarse. Noticeably smaller and lighter than a Glock 23, and shot nearly as well with the longer mag in. Mine was in .40. Would love to buy another at current prices, but have too many projects going right now.

texasnative46
05-08-2017, 05:23 PM
Lefty Red,

I, too, am a SOUTHPAW & I see nothing that makes any difference for us "wrong handed folks" that S&W can change. - I don't care that the magazine release is on the left side. = ZERO difference to me in a SELF-DEFENSE pocket pistol.

Fyi, I bought the NTS model.

yours, tex

texasnative46
05-08-2017, 05:25 PM
knifemaker,

Fyi, I agree 100% on loading the last round into the supplied magazines. = I bought a mag-loader for 8 bucks for mine.

yours, tex

Lefty Red
05-08-2017, 05:59 PM
Lefty Red,

I, too, am a SOUTHPAW & I see nothing that makes any difference for us "wrong handed folks" that S&W can change. - I don't care that the magazine release is on the left side. = ZERO difference to me in a SELF-DEFENSE pocket pistol.

Fyi, I bought the NTS model.

yours, tex

Glad you and literally every other lefty doesn't have a problem. I get ribbed by every other lefty I know about it. :)
But if there is a way to accidentally engage the slide stop or press the magazine release on the Shield or M&P, I did it under pressure. So I won't sorry it. Hoping the 2.0 version are like the Full Size ones and they fix that.

Lefty

texasnative46
05-08-2017, 06:58 PM
Lefty Red,

ImVho, a self-defense firearm is exactly that AND if you need more than 8 or 9 rounds of well-aimed 9x19mm JHP (My choice is a 147 grain JHP at Plus P speed = 1120FPS.), you need a patrol rifle/riot-gun and/or "back up" from additional LEOs.
(I went to "rookie school" & later the LA Sheriff's Academy almost a half-century ago & we were then taught to make ONE perfect "killing shot" & preferably from a kneeling, covered & concealed, firing position. = NO "spray & pray" then, as we all carried 5/6 shot revolvers or a Colt's 1911 GM. - I sometimes carried a Model 19 S&W and a Model 60 "Chief's Special" or D-frame Colt, when I worked the roads of the county/parish.)

Note: Even at 70YO, I'd bet that I can still do OK out to 25M from behind the safety of a front fender of a police cruiser.

yours, tex

Lefty Red
05-08-2017, 08:44 PM
Lefty Red,

ImVho, a self-defense firearm is exactly that AND if you need more than 8 or 9 rounds of well-aimed 9x19mm JHP (My choice is a 147 grain JHP at Plus P speed = 1120FPS.), you need a patrol rifle/riot-gun and/or "back up" from additional LEOs.
(I went to "rookie school" & later the LA Sheriff's Academy almost a half-century ago & we were then taught to make ONE perfect "killing shot" & preferably from a kneeling, covered & concealed, firing position. = NO "spray & pray" then, as we all carried 5/6 shot revolvers or a Colt's 1911 GM. - I sometimes carried a Model 19 S&W and a Model 60 "Chief's Special" or D-frame Colt, when I worked the roads of the county/parish.)

Note: Even at 70YO, I'd bet that I can still do OK out to 25M from behind the safety of a front fender of a police cruiser.

yours, tex

I completely respect your views Tex!
But IF I need those 7/8 9mm rounds are not in my pistol and are instead in the truck or on the ground because I accidentally hit the magazine release at some point. The mag is loose in the weapon, and it drops out somewhere. I wish this was just a "what if" internet discussion, but it's not. It happened to me this winter! I always carried a spare magazine too. Not because I think I will need it during a citizen involved shooting, but because stuff goes wrong and it maybe be needed. Hate to draw and have just one shot in the pipe!

I have an uncanny way of gripping these small single stacked pistols, with a magazine release or slide stop on the left side, that will activate them sometimes. And it's enough times that it's caused me to stop carrying majority of the single stack pistols. But I still think the Shield is a great pistol! I guide several new shooters toward it, and without the safety. Because most of the new CCW and shooters I know are not going to spend more than what is required to pass the range rest of the CCW. And then they might go to the range once or twice a year. Shoot maybe a box of shells. They are not going to put the hours and thousands of rounds it takes to install a very high proficiency in it. It's just life.

I just wish they made the controls ambidextrous.

Lefty

DougGuy
05-08-2017, 08:50 PM
The M&P Shield handles cast really well too after throating! Seat out as long as you want, runs like a Singer sewing machine, been getting a regular stream of them it seems and everybody likes them afterwards.

texasnative46
05-08-2017, 10:09 PM
Lefty red,

Fyi, I'm having a horizontal OTB mag pouch made as I write these lines, so I'll have an extra 9 rounds on my belt.

yours, tex

Catshooter
05-08-2017, 11:58 PM
I think the Shields are excellent weapons.

The boys at Magguts are making a kit that adds one or two rounds to the 9/40 Shield's mags. I've got some and they are seeming to work well.

Excellent people to deal with. And their shipping costs are a breath of fresh air these days.

Cat

Idaho45guy
05-09-2017, 01:04 AM
Beware of the 45 Shields and their short barrels; they greatly reduce the effectiveness of many self-defense .45 ACP rounds. The reduced velocities make the 9mm and .40 S&W models better for self-defense.

I bought a PC 9mm Shield and loved the size, grip, trigger, sights, etc. Then I shot it. Didn't feel right and couldn't hit the broad side of a barn past 10yds. Disassembled it and discovered the barrel was flawed. Sent it back to S&W and they had it for two months before sending it back with another messed up barrel. I couldn't find any barrels for it online and no aftermarket options. Sold it to a guy who said he wasn't going to shoot anyone past 3-5yds anyway... OK...

Replaced it with an XDS 40 and am very happy with the incredible accuracy, but not the heavy trigger. Shield's trigger, like my M&Ps, was great.

shoot-n-lead
05-09-2017, 02:30 AM
Beware of the 45 Shields and their short barrels; they greatly reduce the effectiveness of many self-defense .45 ACP rounds..

WRONG...I have chrono'd many a round from a compact 1911...the velocity difference is negligible compared to full sized gun. Done penetration testing also...almost NO difference compared to full size gun...and the Shield is no different.

This is a case of YOU needing to do your own testing before regugitating something that you have read on the internet.

But, I guess ignorance is, indeed, bliss.

Idaho45guy
05-09-2017, 04:49 AM
WRONG...I have chrono'd many a round from a compact 1911...the velocity difference is negligible compared to full sized gun. Done penetration testing also...almost NO difference compared to full size gun...and the Shield is no different.

This is a case of YOU needing to do your own testing before regugitating something that you have read on the internet.

But, I guess ignorance is, indeed, bliss.

I'll try to be more polite in my rebuttal to you than you have been in your response...

What is the barrel length of the "compact 1911" that you tested and what do YOU think is "negligible"?

Have you done any testing of the Shield 45?

The barrel length of the Shield 45 is listed at 3.33", with the 1.25 chamber, we're talking about an effective barrel length of just over 2".

It makes a difference in how various rounds perform in different mediums. Some rounds are simply not performing as designed when shot in the very short barrel of the 45 Shield.

https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/another-ballistic-gel-test-using-shield-45.1652986/#post-23961817

Lloyd Smale
05-09-2017, 06:08 AM
your not going to get any more gun for the $ then a shield for 300 bucks! that's glock reliability for half the price.

2shot
05-09-2017, 08:51 AM
Just to clarify, chamber length for the 45 ACP is max .920" not 1.25"

Like any handgun caliber in any barrel length, some bullets work while others don't, none work 100% of the time.

If your dependent on bullet expansion to stop what your shooting at with a handgun you would be better off buying cheap ammo and working on your marksmanship than spending it on marketing hype expanding bullets that are expensive.

Shields are great shooting guns. Just picked up a 45 ACP and it runs great. Crono'ed a bunch of loads and velocity isn't that far off what I get in a 5" or 6" barrel but then I'm happy with something in the 800-850 fps range and let my marksmanship make up for what some would consider low velocity

JMHO
2shot

DougGuy
05-09-2017, 09:34 AM
Beware of the 45 Shields and their short barrels; they greatly reduce the effectiveness of many self-defense .45 ACP rounds. The reduced velocities make the 9mm and .40 S&W models better for self-defense.

This Speer 230gr Gold Dot was dug out of 9" of North Carolina red clay. It was put there by a Kahr CW45 with a 3.625" barrel. I'd say the results speak for themselves as to the effectiveness of "reduced velocities" often cited to a short barrel. Looks like pure MYTH to me.

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/DougGuy/Kahr%20CW45/SpeerGoldDotSoilTest7-4-2015_zpsyf4bj0w4.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/DougGuy/media/Kahr%20CW45/SpeerGoldDotSoilTest7-4-2015_zpsyf4bj0w4.jpg.html)

flyingrhino
05-09-2017, 09:38 AM
I picked up the 45 from PSA just because of the price. $299 and a $75 rebate on top of that. Haven't shot it yet. Magazines are a bear to load. Had to use a loader. Stippling is pretty aggressive so I've got to find a decent holster. I wear inside the waist band so it's rough on the skin.

shoot-n-lead
05-09-2017, 10:12 AM
I'll try to be more polite in my rebuttal to you than you have been in your response...

What is the barrel length of the "compact 1911" that you tested and what do YOU think is "negligible"?

Have you done any testing of the Shield 45?

The barrel length of the Shield 45 is listed at 3.33", with the 1.25 chamber, we're talking about an effective barrel length of just over 2".

It makes a difference in how various rounds perform in different mediums. Some rounds are simply not performing as designed when shot in the very short barrel of the 45 Shield.

https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/another-ballistic-gel-test-using-shield-45.1652986/#post-23961817

Kimber Ultra Carry ll...3.00" barrel average velocity of personal defense ammo is 820fps vs 865 from any one of our full sized 1911's.

The ammo performs essentially identically from either length gun...expansion and penetration.

I know how this gun and ammo performs from personal experience and YOU only know because of something you have read. Do yourself a favor...educate yourself by taking the time to get YOUR OWN results.

You can post all of the "tests" you want...my tests show me that there is NO real world difference.

Sometimes....the truth might hurt, but it is still the truth.

BTW...you happen to be on a forum where a good percentage of the folks KNOW how the gun/ammo they use will perform for the task they use it for. They will not know how all combo's perform...but they will know how the combo's they use perform. Just kind of the nature of this site...

And, for the record... when I say "my test"...that means a real flesh and bone test. When we bring a deer in and hang it up on the game pole...it only takes a minute to put a couple of rounds to the test...in a REAL flesh and bone test...sure, it is not human...thankfully, but it is about as close as one can get...it gives a pretty good indication of what the gun/ammo will do. And, living in the south with very high deer bag limits...there is no shortage of this test medium.

Also, for the record...the .45acp in a short barreled gun...will get the job done, no worries.

Huntsman52
05-09-2017, 11:00 AM
I carry a PC Shield in 40 S&W. Great CC gun. PC is the way to go if you ask me. Great trigger, Fiber optic sights and a ported barrel. Not sure if the ported barrel does much as recoil is rather low to me. The slide ports do reduce carry weight some. Very accurate for me, can keep all in a softball size group at 25 yards. Mags were stiff at first but have loosened up some. Carry IWB and ankle.

scattershot
05-09-2017, 11:26 AM
" Or if S&W wanted to make a 40cal Shield on the Shield 45's Frame, a tad wider, and bump the capacity up to 8/9 with a flush magazine then I'm game!

Red, check out the M&P,Compact. It's about the same size, as far as I can tell, and in .40 it holds 10 rounds.

Lefty Red
05-09-2017, 01:45 PM
" Or if S&W wanted to make a 40cal Shield on the Shield 45's Frame, a tad wider, and bump the capacity up to 8/9 with a flush magazine then I'm game!

Red, check out the M&P,Compact. It's about the same size, as far as I can tell, and in .40 it holds 10 rounds.

I'm waiting on the newer 2.0 versions of the Compacts to come out! I really like the Duty/Full Size 2.0s a lot!

I always liked the M&Ps Compacts, just waiting on the newest versions.

They will replace my Glocks once they get here.

On another note, the 45 Shield is my favorite of the bunch. Don't think you can get a better $350 carry weapon. And The 45ACP is a slow moving round already. It doesn't lose much from the 3.3" barrel on the Shield. Have to agree with the majority here.

But, there are some of the newer bonded bullets they need that +900fps to expand and then no it's not going to "work" in a shorter barrel carry weapon. Not a Jello Junkie, but like any information, you can sort through and get some kind of an idea of what they will do. So the cheaper unbonded bullets might be what I would be looking for to carry in the Shield and the like. I know a lot of retired LEOs swear by the Remington Golden Sabers in their Shields. Almost for sure to lose the jacket, but then the soft lead expands in the target. The WWB Personal Protection loads get thumbs ups too. But the newer Remington Ultimate HD loads and Hornady Critic Duty/Defense doesn't from the shorter barrels due to there bonded bullets and in need of the higher velocity to "work". Gold Dots are something you drive awhile to find and rally not an ideal situation here.
But with the 45, I'm with the member that stated just practice and let it be!

Here is the Lucky Gunner results with Jello.
http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self-defense-ammo-ballistic-tests/

And my favorite YouTube channel!
https://youtu.be/4rdMT_rT0Q0

Lefty

mjwcaster
05-09-2017, 03:53 PM
We both have 9mm shields in our house.
I am planning on getting a 45 no safety.
You have to watch PSA, one day the deal will include free shipping, the next day it isn't.
Sometimes the price changes, the deal costs more with free shipping.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

35remington
05-09-2017, 07:48 PM
Well this one is heating up

Idaho, I have done extensive ballistic work with the .45 Shield. I carry one because I know what I do. Effective loads are easy to obtain, and any perception otherwise is to some large degree mistaken.

Obtainable energies rival or exceed the 40. Expansion performance is not universally compromised, and good performance can be had with a considerable selection of bullets. Feel free to ask me how I know that. It is no trick at all to exceed 40/180 velocities with a 185. Both from short barrels.

PB234
05-09-2017, 09:22 PM
Would be grateful if someone could provide a link for PSA.

scattershot
05-09-2017, 09:28 PM
Here ya go....

http://palmettostatearmory.com/

texasnative46
05-10-2017, 01:02 PM
scattershot,

Seems to me that at the rate that Shield prices are falling, that soon there will be people paying customers to take one of them home.
(CHUCKLE.)

Personally, I believe that the Shield "NTS" 9mm that I bought 2 weeks ago is the best 250.oo that I've spent in 2017.

yours, tex

Combat Diver
05-11-2017, 11:34 AM
I bought a 9mm Shield at Christmas for the wife and like it. Been 100% reliable so far and have since added CTC Laser Pro to it. I would love to get another at these killer prices but hate the stupid GCA 68 rule that you can only buy a handgun in the state you reside in. Live in NC but working in ND for now.

CD

fatelk
05-11-2017, 01:39 PM
You all are a bunch of enablers, you know that? With all the glowing reviews, and the PSA emails every day, I'm liable to succumb to temptation and buy one.

Even my wife is no help. All she says is if I really want it, go ahead (she worries less about money than I do.)

Now my only hope is that they will go off sale before I stop dawdling and just buy one of the darn things.

flyingrhino
05-12-2017, 12:51 PM
For the price I couldn't pass it up. Certainly didn't need another pistol. I've got a PSA within 3 miles of my house. Need to see if I can claim them as a dependent on my taxes. I've been providing a large portion of their support since they opened.

Combat Diver
05-16-2017, 06:57 PM
Here's a picture of my wife's with the CTC Laser Pro (red laser and white light).

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/Shield_with_CTC_Laser_Pro.jpg

CD

35remington
05-16-2017, 07:00 PM
The laser makes the barrel look even stubbier than it is.