PDA

View Full Version : .35-1 7/8"-195

Good Cheer
05-05-2017, 11:20 AM
OK, so really it's a pre-micro Marlin chambered for .35 Remington. I'm gonna work up some Ideal #358430 black powder loads for it. Somebody is gonna ask why in the world would I wanta do that. Well, because I don't have a .350 Remington mag to work up black powder loads for.
So anyhow, how to make a lube cookie work behind that little shoulder has got me to scratching my head.
Maybe a little corn meal cover over the powder will be used to keep it in place and separated from a glob of lube nestled under the boolit.
I'm not coming up with any other concepts yet for a compressible material. Cream of wheat tries to be a plug. Corn meal remains more frangible.
Guess I need to look up info on loading the bottle necks of long ago.
Huh, and now I'm wondering if maybe a gas check would work better 'cause it's a scraper.
This will be some kinda fun.

country gent
05-05-2017, 01:39 PM
Maybe try a felt wad with the lube melted into it. A wax paper wad on each side of it. In the marlins barrel and charges you will be using the bullet may carry enough lube for the job at hand. Use a good BP rated lube like SPG and see what happens.

Sur-shot
05-05-2017, 03:38 PM
You can use corn meal like I use spherical buffer with my match cast bullets, I throw the over powder cover just like a load so it comes up about half way up the neck, then seat the bullet so it creates a compressed load. The case filler holds in place, lube does not migrate to powder, even in the desert heat and the filler does not mix with the powder charge.
Ed

Hiwall55
05-05-2017, 10:26 PM
The ODG s that shot bottle necked cartridges kept the wad and bullet in the neck with BP.
If you use a soft lube why would you need a lube cookie? You would be better off trying a duplex load that's what I do with my 35 Remington in a 1948 model sporting carbine.