PDA

View Full Version : Ruger single action revolver ?

jack19512
07-16-2008, 06:24 PM
I have recently purchased 3 Ruger revolvers, a GP 100 357 mag, a New Model Blackhawk 357, and a 50th anniversary 44 mag. The GP 100 shoots fine but both of the single action revolvers want to shoot to the left too much to suit me.

I have to adjust the windage of the rear sight a lot to compensate and I just don't think this is right. Does anyone else have either or both of these revolvers and have to do a lot of sight adjustment(windage)to get on target? Thanks

44man
07-16-2008, 07:00 PM
It's your loads. Every load will change POI. Sounds like you are shooting factory stuff.

MT Gianni
07-16-2008, 08:14 PM
Too tight of a grip makes me pull left. Gianni

jack19512
07-17-2008, 05:51 AM
It's your loads. Every load will change POI. Sounds like you are shooting factory stuff.

I am shooting my cast 240 gr. SWC bullet and Unique powder.

jack19512
07-17-2008, 05:55 AM
Too tight of a grip makes me pull left. Gianni

I am only having this problem with the single action revolvers. No problem with the GP 100 or wifes 38 special revolver.

EDK
07-17-2008, 02:07 PM
Since it is BOTH of the single action revolvers, I'd suggest you need different style grips....probably EAGLE GRIPS GUNFIGHTER model or something similar with a relatively flat profile on the sides. Unbelievable what difference a well designed set of grips make.

I'm using Original Size VAQUEROS/BISLEY VAQUEROS and changing the grips (and trigger jobs!) helped a lot.

:Fire::cbpour::redneck:

44man
07-17-2008, 04:42 PM
My friend sticks his whole finger into the trigger guard because he has short, fat, stubby fingers. He shoots everything left. I hit center with his guns. You must use the pad of your finger on the trigger without the rest of your finger near the side of the gun.
A grip change WILL help.
You MUST pull straight back, not sideways.

Bass Ackward
07-18-2008, 08:06 AM
My guns when clean shoot left. As they settle in and lube up, they move back right. Are these new guns? If so, that pattern may change too. But adjustables were made to adjusted until you figure it out.

07-18-2008, 08:39 AM
Lots of variables. Grip tension changing during the firing cycle, too much finger on the trigger pulling shots right or too little finger on the trigger pushing shots left (right handed shooter). 44man is right about the trigger. Straight back helps make 'em go straight out. Howw do others shoot these guns?

cajun shooter
07-18-2008, 08:47 AM
Trying to figure this out in forum is like directing heart surgery over the phone. That said I mean no disrespect to anyone. It could start at the way you are gripping the SA. The grip is different for them. We all also have good and bad days. Let someone who you know to be a good shooter watch while you are shooting to try and pick up on something. Let them shoot the same weapon and load and view the results. Last but not least try the ball and dummy drill, it sometimes shows alot. In other words you need another set of eyes and hands next to you. Practice does not make perfect;" Perfect practice makes Perfect "

44man
07-18-2008, 09:19 AM
Good idea to let someone watch you shoot. My friend that shoots left was shooting my SBH and he was hitting a can at 100 yd's from bags but each time he missed, the gun would torque hard left instead of straight up. The barrel would be a good 45* left.
Just watching him and the gun, I could call his misses.
His hands are so small and fat he was creeping around the right side of the grip and also pushing sideways on the trigger.

Bass Ackward
07-18-2008, 10:12 AM
Good idea to let someone watch you shoot.

Good idea? Ha!

People that watch me won't stop laughin. Then they have the nerve to ask me to provide an oxygen sourse. They ask me if I have trouble holding the gun still. I tell them I am practicing for moving targets.

jack19512
07-18-2008, 11:13 AM
Are these new guns?

Yes, they are brand new. I have e-mailed Ruger to get their opinion.

Bass Ackward
07-19-2008, 07:59 AM
Yes, they are brand new. I have e-mailed Ruger to get their opinion.

Jack,

Good move. Cause if there is any chance of misalignment, then the gun is going to recoil in that direction as the bullet slams into the cone there forcing the gun to move. You won't be able to hold it.

If misalignment is slight as it is in most cases, it can not be seen from the front. The gun will simply wear the cone away in this area in effect shooting in a Taylor throat. Or it will widen the notches in the cylinder a little too creating a burr on the top edge of the offending side. You can check that with your thumb nail.

This is what I suspect since you have little trouble with the other guns. Best course though is if Ruger will correct the alignment. This minimizes the break in wear.

jack19512
07-19-2008, 01:19 PM
I received an e-mail from Ruger and they advised me to send the revolvers to them, so that is what I will do. Thanks for the replies.

runfiverun
07-19-2008, 09:23 PM
this is the third or fourth ruger 50th 44 that i have heard of having problems shooting quite right.

kingstrider
07-20-2008, 03:07 PM
If that doesn't work you can always send the Anniversary model to me for a thorough evaluation. I've been looking for one to match my .357 model and the pair would look great together. :)