PDA

View Full Version : Odd marks in 5.56 brass (psd headstamp)

kfd518
05-04-2017, 11:49 AM
Noticed these swirl marks in about 7 random cases as I was re-sizing last night. these were not fired in my rifle and I do not know what rifle they were fired in other than that it was not MG fired brass The lighter portion can be felt with the finger nail rubbed over it. What would case theses? Dies are clean. rcbs AR series small base .223. Rcbs case slick lube. All other cases sized in this set were fine so I'm assuming it's an issue with the brass

jsn
05-04-2017, 01:18 PM
Is it once fired factory, reloads, etc.?

kfd518
05-04-2017, 02:48 PM
Once fired PSD headstamp 5.56x45 was working on reloading. Knocked all the crimps out of the rest of the batch myself so I'm going to assume it was not factory reloads

zarrinvz24
05-04-2017, 03:15 PM
Do you own the weapon that they were fired in? I'm assuming the marks were not visible prior to resizing?

kfd518
05-04-2017, 05:34 PM
No I do not own it, bought them once fired. I did not notice them prior to re-sizing. Being as they appear like screw threads I almost thought a botched chamber job but I do not know.....

17nut
05-04-2017, 08:02 PM
Botched chamber?

kfd518
05-04-2017, 11:23 PM
Poorly reamed chamber.

jdfoxinc
05-05-2017, 09:34 AM
Looks like the base to shoulder dimension was too long for your die but not for the rifle.

243winxb
05-05-2017, 09:55 AM
Top photo, if as fired, not sized, shows fired in rifle with excessive head space?

Looks like a stretch mark, shiny line, starting a case head separation??

tankgunner59
05-05-2017, 11:43 AM
Looks like the same thing right next to your thumb in the second pic. I don't think I'd fire those cases.

EDG
05-05-2017, 12:02 PM
The helical marks look like the chamber reamer tore the surface of the chamber. No big deal. That will go away the first time you fire the case in a smooth chamber.

kfd518
05-05-2017, 12:02 PM
Guess I will paperclip all those from that batch. Seems all of those I have done with small base die even the ones shot out of my gun get that ring on the bottom. Nothing like what is on the top.
Willbget with the seller of these cases and see if there is a known issue or if they know who fired these.

kfd518
05-05-2017, 03:13 PM
Top photo, if as fired, not sized, shows fired in rifle with excessive head space?

Looks like a stretch mark, shiny line, starting a case head separation??

didnt notice until after re-sizing as well as the others in the handful I found like this. Nothing noted prior to resizing.

EDG
05-05-2017, 05:58 PM
There are a number of things that can cause a ring around a case including a plastic cartridge box and the base of the reloading die.
If you cut a few of the worst cases open and there is no thinning of the brass case wall you are dealing with some kind of cosmetic issue.

didnt notice until after re-sizing as well as the others in the handful I found like this. Nothing noted prior to resizing.

243winxb
05-05-2017, 06:21 PM
The sizing die can mark the case in that area. Even more with small base die.

kfd518
05-05-2017, 07:56 PM
The sizing die can mark the case in that area. Even more with small base die.

Thats what I was under the impression was making the mark at the bottom. Spoke to a friend that stated too much lube could make the marks near the neck but just seems odd to me that it would be a "threaded pattern" instead of concentric rings.

beechbum444
05-05-2017, 09:42 PM
Guessing rough chamber, are u getting failure to feeds and brass not ejecting all the way, along with the bolt not cycling all the way back??? I'm no expert, just a guess. If it is only a few pieces of brass in a batch of O/F, I think that Id put them in the scrap bin.

kfd518
05-06-2017, 10:52 PM
Guessing rough chamber, are u getting failure to feeds and brass not ejecting all the way, along with the bolt not cycling all the way back??? I'm no expert, just a guess. If it is only a few pieces of brass in a batch of O/F, I think that Id put them in the scrap bin.
Nope no failures feed or to eject on my rifle, my rifle cycles just fine I dont know about the rifle these cases were fired in though as I bought them in a lot of once fired cases. Once again I will say these cases were not fired in my rifle I am just trying to figure out what caused these issues with the brass for my education.

05-07-2017, 10:49 AM
Not qualified to comment on the rings of the original post, but to comment on excessive stretch (bright ring) near the base, I use a stiff wire 6" - 8' long with a sharp 90 degree bend (< 1/4/inch)at one end, then ground to a flat grind, (like a hoe) as a probe to inspect the interior of my multi-fired cases. Drag the probe in & out while resting / pressing on the interior wall. Good cases will be smooth and cases that have begun to stretch will have an anomaly, easily felt, where the ring is visible on the outside. When the ring is not easily seen, the probe reveals it quickly. Good & safe shooting.