PDA

View Full Version : Ticks

bdicki
05-04-2017, 08:39 AM
http://gundog.lcsupply.com/2017/05/new-tick-born-virus/?utm_source=New+Tick-Borne+Virus&utm_campaign=Tick-Borne+Virus+Email&utm_medium=email

Ron in PA
05-04-2017, 10:44 AM
Just when you think its safe to go out in the woods. !!!!!!!

Blackwater
05-04-2017, 06:46 PM
Wow! Best tick preventative I've seen is getting a pair of flea collars and wearing them around your ankles loosely, but tight enough to stay on. I've never found anything to equal this, FWIW.

MaryB
05-05-2017, 12:06 AM
I use 100% Deet around my ankles and on my shoes.

Ticks are thick this year, came in from mowing 2 days ago and picked off 7 of them. The big dog ticks, deer tick that carries most diseases isn't as common around here.

RU shooter
05-05-2017, 09:26 AM
Wow! Best tick preventative I've seen is getting a pair of flea collars and wearing them around your ankles loosely, but tight enough to stay on. I've never found anything to equal this, FWIW.
Over or under your pants ?

dverna
05-05-2017, 10:50 AM
I have purchased Sawyers Tick Repellent for treating clothing after watching some videos of it. It is amazing stuff.

CastingFool
05-05-2017, 12:32 PM
Wife and I were out shopping at a local farmer's market last saturday. When we returned to the car, I noticed something crawling up on the inside of the windshield. It was a tick! How in the world it got in there is beyond me. Most likely one of us carried it into the car and it decided to take a tour. I made sure it was his last trip, ever.

Blackwater
05-05-2017, 01:14 PM
Over or under your pants ?

Over them. That way, they work the best, it seems, kind'a like on a dog's neck.

Blackwater
05-05-2017, 01:18 PM
Ticks can be anywhere. They hitch rides on hosts sometimes - cats, dogs, whatever they can get a hold on.

A friend once apparently stepped in a "nest" of them, and his wife picked off well over 50 ticks off his legs! He got sick, but I'm not sure if it was a biologic cause, or just the idea of so many of them. I guess it's kind'a like falling into a nest of water moccasins, like in Lonesome Dove. I've heard of this here, but never seen it .... and hope I never do!!!

In world history, insects have killed FAR more people than even warfare has taken! Kind'a puts the threat into perspective, for me if nobody else.

Thin Man
05-05-2017, 04:07 PM
A couple of years ago I got out for the early squirrel hunting season. This is a good time to see deer movement and get ready for the fall. We were in the woods all day long. When we got back to the camp I could feel something crawling on my legs and started searching for it (then). These infant ticks were so small they were nearly invisible and there seemed to be hundreds of them on me. Three days later I had muscle weakness, no appetite (really rare for me), and a fever that hit 104 degrees. Probably had other symptoms I can't remember now. The doctor had to see me immediately. After much testing they determined I had been a victim of the "long star" tick which is common where we were in the woods (middle TN). Had lots of antibiotics and a stern warning to keep a quality tick spray on all outer clothing if going back into the woods.

bdicki
05-05-2017, 04:59 PM
I was bit on the left nipple while driving home from the trap field. Two weeks later had the tell tale red ring around the bite site. 21 days of antibiotics.

MaryB
05-05-2017, 09:44 PM
I was helping my dad scout along the river for a camping spot for a co-ed boy/girl scout canoe trip. We found this really nice flat spot but had to walk in chest high grass to get down to the spot they could land and pull canoes in for the night. We got back to the car and I felt crawling... I picked 40 ticks off my legs then we both stripped to our underwear to get ticks off our backs and bellies... over 100 each but luckily no bites, they didn't have time to latch on. Or they didn't like the deet we had sprayed on heavy because of the mosquitoes. We scratched that camp spot from the list and found a nice sandy beach with road access in case anyone needed to be taken out. I have never seen that many wood ticks on a person in my life. It was a scene from a horror movie!

Ticks can be anywhere. They hitch rides on hosts sometimes - cats, dogs, whatever they can get a hold on.

A friend once apparently stepped in a "nest" of them, and his wife picked off well over 50 ticks off his legs! He got sick, but I'm not sure if it was a biologic cause, or just the idea of so many of them. I guess it's kind'a like falling into a nest of water moccasins, like in Lonesome Dove. I've heard of this here, but never seen it .... and hope I never do!!!

In world history, insects have killed FAR more people than even warfare has taken! Kind'a puts the threat into perspective, for me if nobody else.

Bazoo
05-05-2017, 09:54 PM
Lord, Please protect all here from tick born illnesses.

dbosman
05-05-2017, 10:00 PM
Amen to protection from ticks. One of the lists I subscribe to brings me medical news. It seems like there is a newly recognized tick borne disease every two weeks.

Texas by God
05-05-2017, 10:22 PM
Ticks suck literally & figuratively. So do Mosquitos. West Nile made me think I had cancer again.
I share the prayer.

richhodg66
05-06-2017, 11:05 PM
Permethrin doesn't just repel them, it kills them. Ticks are arachnids, not insects and so don't respond to the same things, though I have found that Deet based repellents do work and also keep chiggers off you which are almost worse.

I had quite a few ticks on me after working around the yard today. Nasty things, I hate 'em. We had a warm, wet year last year and another one so far this year with no real Winter to speak of. They're going to be terrible this year.

Blackwater
05-08-2017, 01:35 AM
Ooh! Let's NOT talk about chiggers!!!! We call them "red bugs" here, but by whatever name, they are one of THE most treacherous and onerous creatures God ever created!!! They make me itch so bad I can't sleep! And I've gotten into them so many times I wouldn't even want to know how many it is! Hard to avoid here, but I've learned to go AROUND places where they are most likely to be, at least in large numbers! A good infestation of red bugs is something I'd almost choose being bitten by a poisonous snake over! Almost, anyway! I HATE those bloody things with a purple and blue passion! But hating them won't make them go away. Permethrin is indeed the best thing I've ever found for them, but if anyone has ANY better way of dealing with them, PLEASE let me know! I promise I'll put to to GOOD use!!!

Lloyd Smale
05-08-2017, 06:39 AM
this time of year I wont even go to camp. get out to unlock the gate and youll have a half a dozen on you. By about the end of july middle of aug. they are pretty much gone. We don't have many around the house. I think its because living right on lake superior its a bit cooler here throughout the summer. Pup did have one on him last week though.

Geezer in NH
05-09-2017, 03:28 PM
Over them. That way, they work the best, it seems, kind'a like on a dog's neck.And will keep a rash away

duckey
05-09-2017, 05:20 PM
Permethrin spray works great for ticks, skeeters, gnats, chiggers etc. spray it on hunting clothing, let air dry and is capable of withstanding several washes.

arlon
05-09-2017, 05:41 PM
Nice thing about living in the desert. I've seen one tick in about 7 years. It was so rare I had to grab my macro lens and take a picture of it. It did not survive the encounter.

EMC45
05-10-2017, 09:25 AM
Had 2 on me in the last 2 weeks. One came off me after working in the yard and my son spotted it crawling on the wall. Had a bug crawling on my neck yesterday at the range (for work), and I kept brushing the back of my neck and still felt it crawling so I pinched the sucker and pulled it off and saw it was indeed a tick.

Blackwater
05-10-2017, 05:00 PM
I HATE bugs crawling on me! But my wife's the absolute worst! When my now 45 yr. old son was 3, he was just beginning to understand what "kidding" was all about, and why it was funny. One day, he stood there giggling coyly, and pretty tentatively, and my wife asked what he was giggling about. He said he wasn't sure he should say. That only piqued her interest! She kept asking him and he wouldn't say, until finally, he said, "You've got a spider crawling on your shirt." Her eyes got really big, and instantly, she shucked that blouse in a flash, threw it on the floor, and started stomping it! My son laughed, and I was just glad we weren't in public, because I'm sure she'd have done the same thing in a crowd of people! She couldn't find anything when she finally got tired of doing her "dance" on that blouse, and looked at my son, and said, "Where is it? Did it jump off?" He, still laughing so hard he had a hard time getting the words out, said, "I was only teasing." Instantly, my wife's face turned from one of fear to one of wrath! She did NOT take that little incident well AT ALL! But then I started laughing, and ..... well, let's just say dinner that night was kind'a "sparse." He and I learned that you do NOT tease the wife about bugs the HARD way! I don't think she's fully forgiven me yet! Some mistakes can really COST a fella'!

Isaac
05-11-2017, 08:04 AM
Blackwater: That's funny! Glad it wasn't me. But that was a hoot. I suspect my wife would react in the same way. :shock:

Isaac

MaryB
05-11-2017, 10:53 PM
My mom was deathly afraid of snakes, so what did I do as a kid? Yup, caught a garter snake and put it in her purse. Snake was happy in the dark place and was fine until mom reached in for her cigarettes... then the screaming started... then I was grounded for 2 weeks... but dad was laughing so hard he rescinded the grounding making mom even madder... it was a little 9 inch baby that curled around her wrist. She was trying to shake it off/run away/scream all at the same time... My brothers and sisters were all laughing so hard they couldn't get up...

I HATE bugs crawling on me! But my wife's the absolute worst! When my now 45 yr. old son was 3, he was just beginning to understand what "kidding" was all about, and why it was funny. One day, he stood there giggling coyly, and pretty tentatively, and my wife asked what he was giggling about. He said he wasn't sure he should say. That only piqued her interest! She kept asking him and he wouldn't say, until finally, he said, "You've got a spider crawling on your shirt." Her eyes got really big, and instantly, she shucked that blouse in a flash, threw it on the floor, and started stomping it! My son laughed, and I was just glad we weren't in public, because I'm sure she'd have done the same thing in a crowd of people! She couldn't find anything when she finally got tired of doing her "dance" on that blouse, and looked at my son, and said, "Where is it? Did it jump off?" He, still laughing so hard he had a hard time getting the words out, said, "I was only teasing." Instantly, my wife's face turned from one of fear to one of wrath! She did NOT take that little incident well AT ALL! But then I started laughing, and ..... well, let's just say dinner that night was kind'a "sparse." He and I learned that you do NOT tease the wife about bugs the HARD way! I don't think she's fully forgiven me yet! Some mistakes can really COST a fella'!

Blackwater
05-12-2017, 06:45 PM
That was funny, Mary. My Mom was SO scared of them that I was always scared of her having a heart attack and dying if I'd tried something like that. My brother didn't like them, but not nearly as bad as Mom. Dad and I just regarded them as another of God's creatures that we needed to respect and be mindful of. For me, at least, the only ones I'm scared of are the ones I DON'T see. I've seen too many pics of folks who've been bit, and the after effects. A girl my wife taught with got bitten by a black widow spider, and it nearly killed her! There are lots of things to be "afraid" of to varying degrees. Wonder of wonders, I'm not scared of snakes, but spiders give me the "willies" like few things in this world. I have 3 phobias: Heights, spiders, and being cut with a razor blade or similar cutting tool. These fears aren't chosen by the bearers, and I have no idea what makes us have them. All I know for sure is Mom had one HUGE hatred for and fear of snakes, and that's ANY snake at all, of any size at all. Sometimes, all we can do is just accept that things are a certain way, without understanding them in the least. I think this, fear of snakes, is one of those things.

osteodoc08
05-12-2017, 09:21 PM
Permethrin and DEET guys