PDA

View Full Version : RCBS Pro 2000 Press

tred1956
05-03-2017, 11:11 PM
Ok fellows. I just got a new (to me) RCBS pro 2000 press deluxe kit In original box. It is practically new. Was surprised by the weight. This thing is a beast. I have never operated a progressive press of any kind. I have most (I think) of the paper work. How difficult are these presses to set up? Do any know of a good video of setting it up? Want to make sure I get it right. Like to have faith in what I am watching. I know if it is on the internet IT HAS TO BE TRUE LOL Point me in the right direction guys. I would also like to hear opinions of it Pros & Cons. Any owners know potential problems and how to avoid them. Probably going to start out loading for 38 & 357.

Thanks in advance
Doug

jmorris
05-04-2017, 08:24 AM
They are not much more difficult than any other progressive. Set one die at a time and run one case at a time until you have things figured out. There were several versions of the press a tube fed primer magazine and a strip version with manual or auto index, the strip AP or auto progressive being the most prevalent.

If you have the APS strip version I would suggest buying your primers already in them, CCI is the only company that sells them and you can get them here.

https://www.powdervalleyinc.com

It will save you time now and you can save the strips so your press isn't useless down the road as RCBS has discontinued the PRO 2000 and abandoned the APS strips on their new presses. So it's just a matter of time before they are gone.

Wayne Smith
05-04-2017, 08:54 AM
And if you have the strip version go ahead and get the strip reloader as well, if they are still available.

jmorris
05-05-2017, 08:34 AM
The Pro 2000's came with the strip loader and a few strips.

http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv5/qvideo/gn/RCBS/IMG_20160922_121048_110-1_zpsayzlmtzu.jpg

What they didn't come with was a case feeder, like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hObNbSATBOE

Mike67
05-05-2017, 07:31 PM
I've had one since they came out new. It is a great press. I'm using mine more now than my LNL AP. Keep it clean, watch some YouTube videos, and go slow to start until you get the feel for it. In my opinion you won't be disappointed. I expect to be using mine twenty years from now.

Guncrank
05-05-2017, 07:51 PM
Doug,

I've had a RCBS 2000 press in service since late 1999. I think it's one of the most underappreciated progressive presses out there!

As with any complicated tool it too has it's own set of quirks that must be worked with.
1. The strip loader. Be sure that the "business side" of the primer is totally flush with the strip. If the primers are protruding they may cause the strip to not advance properly.
2. There is a adjustment for the centering of the primer strip over the plunger that is poorly explained in the instructions.
http://www.handloadersbench.com/forum12/41495.html
The above link is must reading. You may need to join the HB forum to view the link, I don't recall if the "Tools of the Trade" forum is open to nonmembers. However, there is a long discussion of a common problem associated with the primer strip advance system. Most often this trouble is easily adjusted... If you know where to look and what to adjust.
3. As with most progressive presses, some sort of light is, well, just about mandatory to see inside a freshly powdered case. There are any number of solutions to this problem out there, doing a search for, press light or lighting up your press should result in about a thousand hits and ideas to go on.
4. The other major whine about the 2000 is indexing the shell holder-plate. I've found that this is a nonissue if you follow this procedure... After ram is returned to the at rest position your left hand can pick up a fresh case, while your right hand can grab a fresh bullet. The right hand then places the bullet on top of the newly powdered case, then the left hand advances the shell plate one position, and inserts the new case into the empty sizing die station/position.
This procedure keeps both hands busy and relieves fatigue.

Should you have any additional questions do please feel free to post me a "Private Message" on this forum or the HandLoadersBench forum.

GC

tred1956
05-06-2017, 09:51 AM
Fellows,
Thanks for all the input. I can't wait to get started. If I could just figure out how to get 30 hours in a day:groner:
Knew I would get solid advice here.
Thanks
Doug

lotech
05-07-2017, 09:08 AM
After a Lee, two Stars, and the RCBS 2000, I found I really had no need for a progressive machine. However, the 2000 is a good piece of equipment. As I recall from some years ago, conversion parts, etc. were less expensive than the competition.

Kenstone
05-08-2017, 11:53 AM
Fellows,
Thanks for all the input. I can't wait to get started. If I could just figure out how to get 30 hours in a day:groner:
Knew I would get solid advice here.
Thanks
Doug
And there are still Tube Priming conversion kits out there if you want to go that way:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RCBS-Pro-2000-Tube-priming-Conversion-Kit-88876-Reloading-Press-/222488206036?hash=item33cd549ad4:g:IwgAAOSwc-tY1Qcq
:D

tred1956
05-08-2017, 03:59 PM
Does any one use the primer tube system and if so what are the benefits or drawbacks of it?
Thanks
Doug

Guncrank
05-08-2017, 04:37 PM
Does any one use the primer tube system and if so what are the benefits or drawbacks of it?
Thanks
Doug

There aren't aren't any advantages. Both systems work well, if your press is equipped with the APS system, set it up and try it before running off an investing in the tube priming system. I've had the APS system on my press for going on 20 years and have never had any issues with it... That weren't my fault! It really is a rock solid way to prime cases, and adjustments are really very easy.

jmorris
05-09-2017, 09:37 AM
There aren't aren't any advantages.

If you buy the CCI primers that are already in strips, you never have to fill anything with primers to load. +1 for the strips.

Every manufacturer uses tubes to prime with now and all offer pickup tubes as well, with the APS you have to have the strips or your not going to prime with the press. Now that no one makes a strip fed press, the strips themselves are going to become more rare until they no longer exist. +1 for tubes.

sparky45
05-09-2017, 10:54 AM
Go to Youtube; enter this search "rcbs 2000 progressive reloading press"; then spend all morning viewing pros/cons, mods, ect.

Taterhead
05-09-2017, 12:09 PM
I have the auto-index Pro 2000. Mine is APS priming, and it has been totally reliable. Good advice from Jmorris about buying some primers loaded in strips. Good to have spares. You'll get 40 strips in a brick of primers. You're going to love how easy it is to change primer sizes. 20 seconds.

It is absolutely no big deal to load strips using the strip loader, and I do most of mine that way.

Now that the press is discontinued, the main thing will be getting enough die plates and whatever shell plates you'll need. They are still available, but for how long?

I load about 7 cartridges on mine, handgun and 223. Besides the APS priming, the other really unique thing aboit the Pro 2000 is the fixed station 3. That is to permit the use of a single powder hopper to save cost. With the small metering drum, changeovers from pistol to 223 is a 30 second proposition. The micrometer permits you to note a setting and return to it later in a repeatable way. Remove one thumb sxrew, slide off a spring. The lift out the hopper and dump out powder. Then swap bushings. Turn the powder die up or down however many turns for the right height. Then return the hopper. Done. If I were to load large rifle, I'd spring for a separate powder dispenser and linkage to keep a large drum in one. Swapping drums would likely lose the zero on the micrometer, and it takes some time.

Mine just runs and runs. I've accumulated some spare parts from RCBS, but onky the return spring plate has been replaced.

The one weakness is the spent primer collection cup. The lid goes on the tube then the cup stews on the lid. You'll see what I mean. The lid can fall off the tube once in a while. Easy mod: slide the lid on the tube, then slide an o-ring on the base of the tube. That gives more bulk, and the lid won't fall off. That is the only mod I've done.

Some people have had trouble with APS. Just remember that there are two things that must index properly. Of course the shell plate must index and center over the primer (true with any press), and the aps strip itself must index. If you push forward before both those occur, then it will cause problems. I've founf that once the indexing is correct, it is set it and forget it.

I've rambled, more to say, but I'll stop there. Any questions/problems, shoot me a PM.

Congrats on a terrific press!

jmorris
05-09-2017, 08:06 PM
Good to have spares.

If you can't find them any longer some day let me know, I have a few spares.

http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv5/qvideo/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160828_185330_835_zpsk1gf8nav.jpg

Taterhead
05-09-2017, 09:51 PM
If you can't find them any longer some day let me know, I have a few spares.

http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv5/qvideo/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160828_185330_835_zpsk1gf8nav.jpg

Wow. Is that for real? If so PM inbound.

jmorris
05-10-2017, 08:12 AM
Yeah back when there was a run on everything a local company bought what they could to keep their machines fed. The strips have never been in a machine, had primers punched out by hand and dumped into Camdex machines.

I told my friend that Grafs sells a pack of 8 of them for over $6, so he said to split what they go for with him and gave them to me.

Taterhead
05-10-2017, 11:02 AM
Yeah back when there was a run on everything a local company bought what they could to keep their machines fed. The strips have never been in a machine, had primers punched out by hand and dumped into Camdex machines.

I knew guys that bought primers like that for their Dillons. I told them, had I known, I'd have traded APS for not APS. Strips were tossed by then.

I told my friend that Grafs sells a pack of 8 of them for over $6, so he said to split what they go for with him and gave them to me.

That 8 pack price is harsh, especially considering that the premium for a brick of APS strip primers is about the same price, and you get 40 strips from the deal. Preloaded strips are danged handy, but mostly I load them myself

jmorris
05-10-2017, 01:36 PM
That 8 pack price is harsh, especially considering that the premium for a brick of APS strip primers is about the same price, and you get 40 strips from the deal.

Agreed, why I suggested the op buy the APS CCI primers in #2.