PDA

View Full Version : M die is real deal!

adam_mac84
05-03-2017, 10:01 PM
I have been fighting with my 9mm cast loads a bit. size issues, shaving etc. Have worked some things out, but my consistency is not there without shaving boolits.

So, i sprung on Amazon for the Lyman M die. What a difference maker!!! No shaving, no swaging of the boolit size i'd prefer vs what works with my Lee stuff.

Only problem now is the lack of space on my 4 place turret (no powder through on Lyman). I am thinking I will just eliminate sizing/depriming and do that bulk ahead of time. May have to go buy a cheapo single stage now

SARuger
05-03-2017, 10:04 PM
I have the Lyman M dies for all of my calibers that I load cast for. The M dies are to flaring as the Lee FCD is to crimping!

TexasGrunt
05-04-2017, 08:47 AM
The Lee FCD is a crutch. The Lyman M die is gold.

Tom W.
05-04-2017, 03:19 PM
RCBS now puts an m die in their new sets. And they will send you a new plug for your older die for the asking.

John Boy
05-04-2017, 04:03 PM
With all the calibers I reload and many different base diameters for for a given caliber ...and had to buy a M die for each ... I'd have to come out of retirement and get a job. I buy a fist full of compression plugs from TOTW - turn the custom sizes down on the lathe for $3 each

Iowa Fox
05-04-2017, 05:26 PM
With all the calibers I reload and many different base diameters for for a given caliber ...and had to buy a M die for each ... I'd have to come out of retirement and get a job. I buy a fist full of compression plugs from TOTW - turn the custom sizes down on the lathe for $3 each

John Boy, From one old retired guy to another there are only three M die bodies Std & Long, and the Hornet uses a separate body or at least they did way back when I got mine. The great part is Lyman sells the expanders separately for not much money and their shipping is reasonable. Due to that fact and over the years I have one for everything I own. There is a chart with dimensions as a sticky on one of the sub forums here, both rifle & pistol.

Making your own custom sizes is even better.

I quit using the decapper with expander ball in the dies for bottle neck cases years ago. I don't care how well or with what you lube the inside of case necks with, all that expander ball does is stretch brass and pull the necks crooked. I proved that to myself with my concentrity gage. Run out with jacketed bullets using a Lyman M Die is superb, but lube the expander and inside of the necks well. It is an extra step but very much woth it. I can't afford bushing dies for everything I shoot but the M die is the next best thing.

adam_mac84
05-04-2017, 08:52 PM
The Lee FCD is a crutch. The Lyman M die is gold. . I am working on being able to de-belling the case with my seating die, and still fit the chamber (which is fairly tight). So far FCD has given me most control under my de-belling. I don't apply 'crimp' so to say... just smooth it out ill it plunks

DerekP Houston
05-04-2017, 09:19 PM
.... ok might be I'll finally order my M die for 9mm cast rounds. Another glowing review here it seems.

Andy
05-06-2017, 08:55 AM
I had a lot of trouble getting cast bullets to work right, until I started using an M die with every cartridge I reloaded, now everything works like it should

fatelvis
05-06-2017, 09:59 AM
I'm a huge fan of the M-die also. That being said, I would love to see properly sized "powder-through" versions for cast boolits offered to us lead heads.

TexasGrunt
05-06-2017, 12:13 PM
I'm a huge fan of the M-die also. That being said, I would love to see properly sized "powder-through" versions for cast boolits offered to us lead heads.

That's the truth right there. I'm surprised that someone like NOE hasn't jumped on that. I'd gladly pay $20-$25 for a PTX that actually worked with cast boolits.

Garyshome
05-06-2017, 12:36 PM
So what were you using before "M"

Andy
05-07-2017, 08:26 AM
I think NOE does offer a few, but the last time I looked there were only a few sizes listed and most of them were out of stock. I think they were for the lee PTE dies.

fatelvis
05-07-2017, 09:25 AM
After using Lyman's and RCBS's for years, I use NOE's solid M-type exclusively now. I love the ability to choose EXACTLY the amount of boolit pull to impart, and at a reasonable price. Myself and a few others have been bugging NOE to put out powder through versions, but they are a very busy shop. Thank God for NOE!