PDA

View Full Version : Herters press

beemer
05-03-2017, 04:57 PM
These threads about Herter's equipment has left me with a question. I bought a Herter's C press about 1971-72. I used it for a couple of years before finding a Bonanza O press that has been my favorite for a long time.

I was wondering if the set screws that hold the shell holder in place ever give any problems with extended use ? I know that they are not under stress on the up stroke but pulling a shell out of a FL sizing die is a different thing. It seems that it would put undue stress on the threads in the ram.

I still use several of the tools that I bought then and they have served me well. I only wish that I had bought a set of their scales to make it a complete set. I ended up buying one of the last set of oil dampening scales that Pacific had, direct from the company.

Dave

Pressman
05-03-2017, 06:05 PM
Beemer, looking at all the Herter's presses have and all the rounds loaded by them I can see no strain on the set screws.

Ken

salpal48
05-03-2017, 07:27 PM
I agree . as long as you use Original Herters shell holder. some of Todays Knockoff Or repros. are not The same and will not Lock up Properly
Sal

Pavogrande
05-03-2017, 10:07 PM
I don't understand how you can conclude there is no stress on the grub screws -
All the force of withdrawing the case from the die is taken by those two screws -
However, they are 1/4-20 and without getting out the machinist handbook I will just say they are
sufficient to carry that shear load.
my ha-penny