PDA

View Full Version : Posing a question, need opinions

Guesser
05-03-2017, 10:46 AM
I recently came into possession of a S&W Model 25-3. It is one of 9948 125th Anniversary models made in 1977 for S&W 125th year in business. Nice gun, I slugged the chamber throats and came away very satisfied, as they averaged .4525 with very minor variations. I've read that some were grossly oversized. The revolver is a surprise in that it has had the rear sight removed and the top strap drilled and tapped to install a Weaver style rail in order to facilitate the installation of a Trijicon AR style reflex sight. Research tells me that the sight retails for $500.00+/-. Nice sight, I agree; but I'm more of a traditionalist. I'm going to try the gun as is but I'm working at locating a S&W correct rear sight.
Tell me what you think of this setup and what you would do, please......

44man
05-03-2017, 10:54 AM
If you hunt use the dot. But everything for the original sights should be there. Just find a sight.
Wonderful gun. You are a very lucky guy.

roysha
05-03-2017, 11:31 AM
$500.00 HUH!!!

Unless there is something REALLY special about the M-25 rear sight check this out on ebay. 22330 Smith & Wesson New K,L,N Frame New Style .136" Black Rear Sight Assembly

WebMonkey
05-03-2017, 11:35 AM
The dot, not the notch.
:)

375supermag
05-03-2017, 11:48 AM
Hi...
Nice revolver. I have a Model 25-5 in .45Colt and it is one of my favorite DA revolvers and gets shot a lot.

The only revolver I have with an electronic sight is a stainless Super Blackhawk in .45Colt. I bought it used with a Red Dot sight on it. I originally considered removing the sight but it is so darn accurate that I am loathe to mess with it. I have plenty of other revolvers in .45Colt so I think I will just keep this one as is.

I suggest you shoot yours and see how it does. You may find that traditionalism is all well and good but there is something about putting great big .45 caliber holes in the same spot that is even more satisfying than tradition.
If by chance it doesn't shoot well with the electronic sight you can always remove it.

reddog81
05-03-2017, 12:18 PM
I'd try it out with the sight as is. A new rear sight assembly is going to be around $100 or more. The price seems rather high for what you get. I'm surprised cheap knock offs aren't out there but they must be hard to duplicate.

Kraschenbirn
05-03-2017, 12:54 PM
Red...

If you give me a day or so to look around, I may have an S&W rear sight or two in one of my 'miscellaneous' drawers. Will drop you a PM if I find one.

Bill

wv109323
05-03-2017, 11:17 PM
You can watch fleabag for a used sight. A revolver "just don't look right" unless it has factory sights.

CHeatermk3
05-03-2017, 11:53 PM
Shoot it--you might like it.

9.3X62AL
05-04-2017, 01:30 AM
I'd try it out with the sight as is. A new rear sight assembly is going to be around $100 or more. The price seems rather high for what you get. I'm surprised cheap knock offs aren't out there but they must be hard to duplicate.

Millett used to sell replacement rear sight assemblies for S&W revolvers that were quite well-made. Those have been out-of-print for a few years, though.

Guesser
05-04-2017, 10:12 AM
I've got a S&W sight coming, may or may not be exact replacement. If it fits and needs a new hole in the top strap I'll do it; as there are already 2 extra holes for the Reflex sight mount and the sight tang will cover all of them..

scattershot
05-04-2017, 10:26 AM
Beautiful gun, hideous sight. If that were mine, I'd replace it with a stock sight ASAP.

gwpercle
05-04-2017, 02:10 PM
When you reach my age the red dot is a God send. Old eyes , detached retina's and after having the lens removed to repair the retinas , wearing tri-focal glasses .......I have to shoot with an optic or don't shoot at all.
Save the sight....if you're lucky you will need it someday .
Gary

Guesser
05-04-2017, 03:04 PM
Ironically, I'm coming up 72 and have been wearing trifocals for 30 years. I find shooting revolvers easier now than I did before. I had trouble using that reflex sight on the Smith, it's not a red dot and is not powered, uses ambient light only.

376Steyr
05-04-2017, 03:16 PM
I would pull off the over-sized Trijicon and put a much smaller red dot on it, such as a Burris Fast-fire.

35remington
05-04-2017, 04:44 PM
I'd remove the semi attached to the top of your revolver if it were me. Trailers belong on the road, not on top of your gun.

Bigslug
05-04-2017, 05:28 PM
I wouldn't just kick that Reflex to the curb, I'd find a pro from the NFL to kick it PAST the curb, thus turning it back into a handgun, instead of a stockless rifle.

Guesser
05-05-2017, 11:19 AM
I had the gun out in the tall & uncut this morning. Put 50 rounds of hand loaded 454423 thru it. If I squint and read Soldier of Fortune magazine I guess maybe, I could, possibly, on the outside, of reality see where someone would want it............I know now that I don't!!! As soon as I get a sight installed I will market the sight. I don't own nor ever intend to own any kind of AR style that could use it.

9.3X62AL
05-05-2017, 12:27 PM
I have yet to try glassware of any type atop any of my handguns. I am not a reflexive installer of riflescopes on my rifles, either--about a third of my collection are glassed up. I am none-too-highly-evolved, I suppose--for a rifle to get a scope means some combination of very small target and/or extended distance is in the cards. A whole lot of my arms hobby enjoyment remains firmly rooted in the 19th Century.

That is not to say that I will NEVER scope-up a handgun. I did research a Ruger Bisley Hunter in 44 Magnum not too long ago. The day could come when the ravages of time mess of my eyesight to the point where a glass sight could come in handy. We will see.

Guesser
05-05-2017, 01:25 PM
I have scoped several T/C Contenders in rifle chambering and a couple three in handgun cartridges but a single shot is a whole different critter from a large revolver.

9.3X62AL
05-05-2017, 11:37 PM
I have scoped several T/C Contenders in rifle chambering and a couple three in handgun cartridges but a single shot is a whole different critter from a large revolver.

Oh, yes. A Contender or XP-100 with glasses makes a lot of sense.

Bigslug
05-06-2017, 02:20 PM
I had the gun out in the tall & uncut this morning. Put 50 rounds of hand loaded 454423 thru it. If I squint and read Soldier of Fortune magazine I guess maybe, I could, possibly, on the outside, of reality see where someone would want it............I know now that I don't!!! As soon as I get a sight installed I will market the sight. I don't own nor ever intend to own any kind of AR style that could use it.

Good lad!

Please post us some pics and a range report once you get it restored. Between the bluing, smooth grips, and classic Keith combat bullet you're loading, that thing will have a serious case of the yummies.

Guesser
05-11-2017, 09:40 AM
Yes, it is an "N" frame but it is not chambered for "Magnum". I'll only be using standard pressure 45 Colt loads in it. I don't hotten up any of the older cartridges in any guns chambered for them. Not even my Rugers. If I want "magnum"; I use a magnum chambering in a magnum gun.

scattershot
05-11-2017, 09:54 AM
As I said previously, I think restoring the aights to factory configuration is a good idea, but don't ditch the sight. Those red dots are great fun on a .22.

Guesser
05-11-2017, 03:04 PM
I don't shoot 50 rounds of 22 rim fire a year. The Trijicon Reflex will go to market; couple AR guys are getting green eye'd over it.