PDA

View Full Version : WOW, this is a beauty!

wonderwolf
07-16-2008, 01:41 PM
This is not mine nor do I know who is selling it but this is a remarkably beautiful rifle/stock combination. I mean just wow!

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=104482329

BruceB
07-16-2008, 01:50 PM
Uh....hmmm.....(gulp)...

Well, the old saying that "differences of opinion make horse races" holds true here.

That rifle has beautifully-figured wood, and the workmanship looks first-rate, but the total package is butt-ugly to MY eye. What many folks see as scultured shaping and artistic merit in the layout of the stock just looks like a malformed monstrosity to me.

Extreme rollovers and hooked pistol grips leave me utterly cold, if not nauseated. To each his own!

wonderwolf
07-16-2008, 02:13 PM
lol yeah, I'm used to fancy .22 match rifles that follow the same layout as what we see in the pics. Although I also like simplicity.

leftiye
07-16-2008, 03:07 PM
I think it's booful! I also like a good classic Mauser sporter. Ironically, both feel good to me too!

Boz330
07-16-2008, 03:30 PM
I LOVE Martinis but that is a little over the top for me as well. I really like utilitarian, but nice wood is always a welcome addition.

Bob

MtGun44
07-16-2008, 04:34 PM
I find myself agreeing with Al a lot these days. :-)

I do appreciate the beautiful wood figure and the excellent workmanship, but
I would not select the style of the buttstock or forend for myself.

It is still a free country, and you shouldn't care one whit what I thing of it !

Bill

Buckshot
07-17-2008, 02:10 AM
................Some work went into that, without a doubt. The execution is exquisit and someone spent a LOT of time on it. As to the design I'm reminded of the Winslow rifles of 30 years ago and the other ultra California stock designs. At least the person doing the work stopped short of any inlays :-)

..................Buckshot

dromia
07-17-2008, 02:26 AM
All that work, talent and skill has been wasted by a lack of esthetic, to my eye anyway.

I do like a Martini, but in their original configuration.

I do have a hankering for an original PH Dewar rifle mind you. :-D

JIMinPHX
07-17-2008, 03:44 AM
I buddy of mine here in town has one of those old Aussi Martini jobs, but his is in 32-20. It’s got the little kangaroo stamped in it & everything. She’s quite a shooter.

Nardoo
07-17-2008, 06:59 AM
I am a little Aussie kangaroo too and all I can say is the fellow that built that rifle did not have an eye for form or line. Take away his rights to design firearms and send him to Paris to design jeans for rappers.

Nardoo

CZARNINA KID
07-17-2008, 09:27 AM
If I had the bucks I'd buy it then have it rechambered.

wonderwolf
07-17-2008, 11:14 AM
lol its very interesting to read the widely varying opinions here :drinks:

Red River Rick
07-17-2008, 12:01 PM
Although the figure & grain of the wood and the workmanship is outstanding, the rest of the stock is not to my liking.

I like the Martini actions, but this one needs some new wood.

I have to agree with BruceB...............

Uh....hmmm.....(gulp)...

Extreme rollovers and hooked pistol grips leave me utterly cold, if not nauseated. To each his own!

RRR

onceabull
07-18-2008, 06:12 PM
No interest @ $850 first bid,so it's back with a significantly lower start,AND no reserve..somewhere there's a price where one could live with the present stock long enough to build one to individual preference... Onceabull

Bret4207
07-19-2008, 08:19 AM
Wow! Shades of 1963! Good work though.

leftiye
07-19-2008, 01:50 PM
Just so long as you guys don't beat me up I'll shoot with you! I made some stocks for my H&R Handis last year - Nice rollovers, high combs, Wundhammer swells, heavily hooked pistol grips, Oh - and of course to fit ME! To each their own, But this isn't about retro 60s stuff, it's about fit.

GLL
07-19-2008, 03:42 PM
Although I am not fond of the style, I do appreciate the craftsmanship !

I wonder why there is no photo of the left side?

Jerry

zipdog
07-19-2008, 05:35 PM
I have to agree with Bruce. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I can appreciate the workmanship, etc., but the end result is uglier than a hat full of a**holes.

RayinNH
07-19-2008, 08:19 PM
A few hours with a wood rasp and you could have a nice looking rifle there. I agree with Bruce on this one. I have never cared for cheek pieces on a stock...Ray