PDA

View Full Version : For thought and meditation

rl69
05-03-2017, 06:39 AM
But when they did not find them, they dragged Jason and some brethren to the rulers of the city, crying out, "These who have turned the world upside down have come here too."—Acts 17:6 (http://harvest.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4f108f827aed8d503b5fca9fa&id=777c07978b&e=3dd732485b)It was said of the early church that they turned the world upside down. And that, by the way, was offered as a criticism, not a compliment. When Paul and Silas were in Thessalonica preaching the gospel, it was said of them critically, “These who have turned the world upside down have come here too” (Acts 17:6).

This is the church that changed the world through prayer and through preaching. But it seems today the opposite is happening. We have double standards, moral compromise, and little to no power. We need to get back to what the early church experienced as given on the day of Pentecost.

Some would say we need another Pentecost. However, we don’t need another Pentecost any more than we need another Calvary. Let’s just appropriate what was made available at the first Pentecost. The power that was given to the first century believers is also available to twenty-first century believers as we bring the gospel to our generation.

What concerns me is that we are so worried about fitting in, so worried about relating, and so worried about being cool that we have forgotten what it is to make a stand for what is true. And instead of the church turning the world upside down, my fear is that the world is turning the church upside down.

Vance Havner said, “We are not going to move this world by criticism of it nor conformity to it, but by the combustion within it of lives ignited by the Spirit of God.”

Believers today need to be involved in upside down living. The early church turned their world upside down (or should I say right side up?). And in this crazy, topsy-turvy world where wrong is right and right is wrong, we need to do the same.

buckwheatpaul
05-03-2017, 07:35 AM
PC is killing everything it touches....anything goes....we might lose a parishioner if the preacher or we call them out for their evil deeds. We need to get back to the basics and do the right thing whether it is our private life; our public life; our job; or the BIBLE. Thanks rl69...Paul

Pine Baron
05-03-2017, 08:33 AM
Revival is coming. All Glory belongs to God.

Boaz
05-03-2017, 02:01 PM
We need to live our belief . The Holy Spirit dwells within us .

Ephesians 6;18-19

18 Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;

19 And for me, that utterance may be given unto me, that I may open my mouth boldly, to make known the mystery of the gospel,

Blackwater
05-04-2017, 06:11 PM
Wow! What great Truth in that 4th paragraph! What could be more humbling? Even the church CAN go asray. And I fear all too many have done just that. Willfulness always seems to seep into everything we humans do or touch. It seems to be inevitable, were it not for the fact that it's always a choice we've made. Willfulness is based on our "WILL," or the lack thereof. And when we default to our natural inclinations, we tend to err, and little errors pile up and mount to become large problems. It seems to be one of the few truly consistent things that we willful humans do. In spite of the good advice and counsel we've been given. All we have to do, really, is just take what we've been given, and simply use it. So much of our problems come from simply failing to do this very simple thing. Thank God for salvation, and for repentance, if we'll just avail ourselves of it!