View Full Version : First Glock in 18 years...

Idaho45guy
05-03-2017, 02:11 AM
Had my FFL order me a Gen4 G29 yesterday. He says it should be here next week. I've been using either my S&W M&P40C or Ruger .45 Colt BH Bisley 5.5" for my woods carry gun. Loved the M&P, but felt just a tad undergunned with the .40 S&W in wolf and bear country and the .45 Colt is just a big, heavy hunk of steel best suited for horseback.

The G29 is just the perfect handgun for protection in the woods with 10 rounds of 10mm, or with a G20 magazine, 15 rounds of 10mm. I can shoot .40 S&W in it, I can get a different barrel for .357 Sig, or an extended 6" 10mm barrel for even higher velocity. The gun is eminently modular, reliable, and durable.

I sold my last Glock, a G31 (.357 Sig) that I had customized, in 1999. I then went to Walther, then Springfield Armory, then S&W M&Ps for the past ten years.

The last Glock I owned...

Der Gebirgsjager
05-03-2017, 07:12 AM
Interesting choice....seems well thought out.

CDRGlock
05-03-2017, 08:14 AM
Great choice. I'm eyeing a 41 or 40 myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mytmousemalibu
05-03-2017, 09:22 AM
I've had the chance to shoot a G20, I was pleasantly surprised. It manages the hearty 10mm very well.

John Allen
05-03-2017, 10:19 AM
I got a G20 myself. I always wanted a 10mm and figured it was a good choice. It is a great gun I am very happy.

375supermag
05-03-2017, 11:59 AM
Hi...
I bought my son one of the long slide 10mm Glocks a couple of years ago for Christmas.
He is big into hi-capacity autoloaders and absolutely loves it.
It is a fun gun to shoot and is accurate.
He has shot it enough to know that it is absolutely reliable...so much so that he sometimes uses it as his carry gun.
To me it is just another polymer autoloader with little to recommend it as far as aesthetics are concerned. It is utilitarian but quite efficient at what it does...just has no style like a SA revolver or a quality DA revolver like a S&W or Colt.

No worries...my S&W M&P .40 is exactly the same. Boringly accurate, absolutely reliable...but it pales in comparison to my 1911s.

W.R.Buchanan
05-03-2017, 01:31 PM
If you just look at Glocks as "Tools" you will start to understand them.

Gaston Glock was/is a Toolmaker. The Glock 16 is an Entrenching Tool used by the Austrian Military. He also has supplied their Bayonets, and other knives.

They are great tools and perform their jobs well.

Randy

rundownbear
05-03-2017, 02:15 PM
First Glock in 18 years...
my sympathies to you falling off the wagon.

Lefty Red
05-04-2017, 03:24 AM
First Glock in 18 years...
my sympathies to you falling off the wagon.

Best response ever!!!!!
LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lloyd Smale
05-05-2017, 06:11 AM
wish I would have bought a 29. I have a 20 and its a great gun but its BIG

dragon813gt
05-05-2017, 06:54 AM
wish I would have bought a 29. I have a 20 and its a great gun but its BIG

Try the G40 if you want big :laugh:
I will stick w/ the G20 for woods carry. Yes, it's a big gun. But w/ a proper holster I don't notice the weight. And said weight soaks up the recoil well. I have a 357 Sig conversion barrel for it and that's a hoot to shoot. It's a very versatile tool. There are other conversion barrels to be bought in all types of lengths and porting.

Dan Cash
05-05-2017, 09:23 AM
In the late 1990s, a friend brought his brand new 10mm Clock out to our farm for a picknic and shoot out. He was very pleased with the way the magazine could be quickly snatched and inserted in the pistol as it self ejected every 3d or 4th shot. He traded for a Delta Elite and is still smiling.

44MAG#1
05-05-2017, 10:49 AM
We all know Glocks aren't any good and that they will give nothing but trouble while Springfield, Kimber, Colt, Smith and Wesson and Sig and Dan Wesson are all totally trouble free and will never ever give even the slightest hiccup in use.

taco650
05-05-2017, 01:34 PM
If you just look at Glocks as "Tools" you will start to understand them.

Gaston Glock was/is a Toolmaker. The Glock 16 is an Entrenching Tool used by the Austrian Military. He also has supplied their Bayonets, and other knives.

They are great tools and perform their jobs well.

Randy

Good analogy. I disliked Glocks a lot when they first came out but due to a career change where I'm required to wear one everyday, my opinion has changed. They are the best at "always working" regardless of the circumstances IMO. The good news is they can be made fancy and cool, just need some $$$.

Congrats on a good choice for woods carry.

Rio
05-05-2017, 05:44 PM
Gotta agree with Taco, they are a tool. Designed to do a job first with comfort and looks an after thought. I was issued my first one 20 years ago. Wasn't thrilled in the beginning, remember wearing patches of skin off my hands during qualifications. But 20 years later when faced with a possible change to XD I was vocal about staying glock. It does what it was designed to do every time, that's all I expect out of it, I concentrate on doing my part.

FergusonTO35
05-05-2017, 05:50 PM
Don't worry, someday Gaston & Co. will actually achieve perfection:

Lloyd Smale
05-06-2017, 06:52 AM
ill ruffle some feathers and say it this way. Maybe after over a 100 years the 1911 will someday achieve perfection without spending 2k on customization and reliability work. Truth be told a 500 dollar glock runs as good or better then anything that comes out of wilsons or les baers shop. sure aint as pretty though if that matters to you.

Lefty Red
05-06-2017, 07:24 AM
ill ruffle some feathers and say it this way. Maybe after over a 100 years the 1911 will someday achieve perfection without spending 2k on customization and reliability work. Truth be told a 500 dollar glock runs as good or better then anything that comes out of wilsons or les baers shop. sure aint as pretty though if that matters to you.

You might ruffle some but, "there's iron in your words!"

Lefty

375supermag
05-06-2017, 11:16 AM

I will agree that you can spend a lot of money on a 1911 to customize it if you like, but my Springfield only required about $50 worth of polishing of the feed ramp and an 18lb recoil spring to become extremely reliable with 230gr Golden Saber factory loads(my chosen carry load) and my handloads that I shoot by the thousands.
On the other hand, my nickle Colt Combat Commander has been completely reliable out of the box since the day I bought it with the exact same loads. I bought it used but unfired in its factory box.

The Glock in 10mm that I bought my son has been completely reliable from day one. So he got a completely reliable Glock as a gift that he absolutely loves and I got two 1911s that with roughly $50 of upgrades between them have been my chosen carry guns for years(in the case of the Springfield, as many as 30 years). I have had the Colt for probably less than 10 years. The only time either has failed is when I ran a test on the Springfield and shot about 3000 rounds through it without any thing more than spraying it with GunScrubber and putting a bit of oil on the slide once or twice, just to see how long it would run before it hiccupped.

The point is, you can get a perfectly reliable 1911 without spending anywhere near $2000 in upgrades and customization.

FergusonTO35
05-06-2017, 12:03 PM
As you have probably read in my thread about it, I bought a Kimber Micro .380 awhile back. Very nice pistol that cost $100.00 more than my Glock 42. The Micro is a great shooter, just as accurate as the Glock. Unfortunately it developed some failure to extract and self-ejecting mag problems and so had to go back to Yonkers for service. Like the Colt Mustang, the Micro is a sweet little pistol but has some nagging problems that were never completely resolved. If the Micro doesn't come back fixed 100% it will be replaced by a Sig P238 or a second Glock 42.

Lloyd Smale
05-06-2017, 06:33 PM
I love and shoot 1911s as much as anyone here. Hundreds of thousands of rounds through the years. I wont argue that you can get a good 1911. Especially if you stick to 5 inch guns. Shorter barrels with entry level priced 1911s can be pot luck. that said ive even had good 3 and 4 inch 1911s but ive had some lemons too. In my opinion if a guy is shelling out over 600 bucks for a gun it should run and run right out of the box. It shouldn't even take feed ramp massaging or spring tuning. For many of us a 600 dollar purchase isn't something we can do every day or take lightly. When I see a 1911 used in the gun case at a dealer I allways wonder why its there. A used glock or M&P or sig not so much. Nothing beats a nice 1911 that runs like a top and shoot one inch 25 yard groups but those are the exception not the rule when the price tag is under a grand. I seem to either get them that run well and shoot so so or shoot good and run so so. Ive got 5 1911s right now and wouldn't sell a singe one. Why? because ive gone through probably 20 of them to find those 5. One thing about a glock is its a very rare one that doesn't run like a clock. Most that don't, don't because someone that didn't know what they were doing messed with it. Bottom line is if I'm going to shoot a ppc match or a bullseye match youll see me with a 1911. In the glove box of my truck and jeep being bounced around and not given a lot of care are glocks. If a shtf senerio every came about youd see me with a glock on my hip. I could pick up any kind of ammo anywhere and stick it in it and its going to go bang. Even if it gets dirty even if I don't have time to clean it, even if I cant find oil anywhere. That's the beauty of a glock! They function. I came late to the glock party. Even the black guns in general. I was allways the one that was the 1911 cheerleader. They were the ONLY semi auto pistol in my opinion. Buddy who though a lot like me talked me into bending and picking one up. I never looked back. Still love my 1911s but realize theres better choices for some situations.

Cold Trigger Finger
05-07-2017, 02:28 PM
A G29 is a great pistol. I pack the G20 daily . have for the past nearly 4 years. I base my likes on my needs . and the 10 mm is pretty ideal.
My next thing is to see if I can find an arpeture rear sight blade for it.

Bodydoc447
05-07-2017, 04:55 PM
I bought a G29 to wear as a companion to my long arm. I also bought 40 for just handgun hunting hogs. The 29 gets a lot of carrying but not much shooting in the field. Both are absolutely reliable and that is why they were bought. Never a bobble in either. Y'all carry what works for you.
Doc

FergusonTO35
05-07-2017, 06:53 PM
Glocks work really well for me and I have four of them. I can pick up any of my Glocks and shoot it more than well enough for any purpose I would use a handgun. Best part about them is the extraordinary availability and low cost of spare parts, mags, holsters, and accessories. Marlin is the only more numerous brand in my collection.

Lefty Red
05-07-2017, 10:04 PM
I'm a hard line advocate of keeping a pistol stock, but I have had the chance to try a G23/19 with an Apex Trigger in it and WOW!

I won't call the Glock Gen4 triggers great, but I have not problem with them. I don't want a hair trigger on my carry or go to pistol. The Apex smoothed it out some, but the reset is amazing! Looking to put one my Baby Glock and G23. But awaiting the 2.0 M&P Compact first! Maybe Bigfoot will bring it soon! LOL

Lefty

Silver Jack Hammer
05-08-2017, 11:57 PM
I wouldn't feel comfortable with a 10mm shell shucker on my hip for bear country. Wolves yes. The bottom feeder uses RN boolits or HP's. To launch a meplat with authority only the revolver will do. HP's from a handgun won't penitrate a bear like a good solid with a flat nose.

I've got a brand new Colt's .38-40 and I've been looking for a 1,200 to 1,300 fps load to try to equal the 10mm. So far all the load data I've found keeps the pressures down to turn of the century strength. I'm sure the Colt's can handle it.

It's really an eye opener to shoot the same model in loads equal to .40 S&W, .45 ACP, light and hot .44 Specials .45 Colt's .357, .38. I would like to be able to compare for you a load equal to the 10mm and say the .45 Colt's in the same model.

I've been thinking about this post. I would feel very comfortable with a .41 mag in bear country.

Idaho45guy
05-09-2017, 12:50 AM
I wouldn't feel comfortable with a 10mm shell shucker on my hip for bear country... I would feel very comfortable with a .41 mag in bear country.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?70226-41-magnum-vs-10-mm-auto

44MAG#1
05-09-2017, 11:24 AM
Buffalo Bore and Underwood 10MM factory loads with 220 grain hardcast FP bullets, while not equal to the 41 Mag and above, would be better than a 357 Mag in bear country.

bisleyfan41
05-09-2017, 09:04 PM
The 200 gr .357 and 200gr 10mm aren't as far apart as you'd think.

http://www.doubletapammo.net/index.php?route=product/product&path=303_301&product_id=594

http://www.doubletapammo.net/index.php?route=product/product&path=303_331&product_id=337

44MAG#1
05-09-2017, 11:16 PM
Far apart is a relative term. Meaning I have a Glock M20 Gen 4. It is lighter than most L frames. Holds 15 plus 1. Plus it came with 2 extra mags that hold 15 rounds each that are easier to carry on the belt. Has a larger diameter bullet than a 357. (not that it matters much) is pretty accurate at most reasonable distances and it is easy to get back on target in rapid fire (not that one is going to give rapid fire).
Now, while I am a revolver person, many aren't and are not going to carry one. For them the 10MM is a viable carry gun in bear country. While I would carry a 44 Mag in a revolver many wont.
While a 357 and a 10MM may not be far apart what may not be far apart to you may be miles apart to some.
Some may be a better shot with a Glock trigger than using the double action revolver may be a deciding factor too.
When one is a few feet from being either the main course or desert to a bear it would seem to me any little help will count. Now whether it is a help in actuality is a subject for discussion but I carry a 45 Auto for a carry gun in the wilds of the forest of the city even though a 40 S&W may be nearly just as good I still want a 45 Auto.
So there you have it. Do with as you wish.

Silver Jack Hammer
05-10-2017, 01:10 AM
There was a video of a bear attack on the web recently entitled would your rather have a double or single action. A game agent released a bear by flipping the lever on the cage. That bear came out of the cage and turned on that game agent so fast Bob Munden would have had to shoot quick.

Idaho45guy
05-10-2017, 08:33 AM
Most of my hiking is done in areas where there are no Grizzly bear, only black bear. I've never seen a black bear hang around longer than a couple of seconds before running away. Same with the wolves and cougars. But, the wolves are getting bolder and more common and I hike with a yellow lab/great dane mix. Wolves are extremely intolerant of other canines, so I'm more concerned with protecting him than me.

I've read plenty of internet arguments on the effectiveness of the 10mm. I would have no problem using it for black bear, wolves, cougar, deer, etc. But not for Grizzlies. If I am going to be in Grizzly country, then I have a 12ga loaded with slugs for that...

44MAG#1
05-10-2017, 08:47 AM
That 12 gauge with slugs would be more than both the 357 Mag and the 10MM. But how many would carry that? Many would but some wouldn't. It would be better to hike and camp with a buddy and let him go first as a distraction.
Oh well.

jmort
05-10-2017, 08:47 AM
The .357 is more gun than a 10 mm
But the 10mm is close.
The .41 mag is way more gun than a 10mm
Don't pick a 10mm because it is almost as good as .357 mag.
Pick it based on the firepower. You have a lot of rounds to shoot. It is enough gun for anything dangerous except the big bears.

44MAG#1
05-10-2017, 08:50 AM
With Buffalo Bore and Underwood ammo the 10 is equal AT LEAST if not more than a 357 Mag with a reasonable barrel length.
Now if you mean more gun as to weight and maybe size I agree.
Not power.

jmort
05-10-2017, 11:35 AM
With Buffalo Bore and Underwood ammo the 10 is equal AT LEAST if not more than a 357 Mag with a reasonable barrel length.
Now if you mean more gun as to weight and maybe size I agree.
Not power.

Wrong. This may be the last time I waste my time with this ignorance. Question, which has greater sectional density, a 220 grain 10mm or a 180 grain .357 mag? Right, you do not understand what you are talking about. Why do the 10mm drones want to pretend??? I like the 10mm, but don't don't be a fool and say the 10mm is more gun than a .357 mag, the bottom end of the revolver world for field use.

Sectional density of 0.201 with a bullet weight of 180 and diameter of .358".

Sectional density of 0.195 with a bullet weight of 220 and diameter of .401".

HEAVY 357 MAG OUTDOORSMAN
180 gr. Hard Cast LFN-GC (1,400fps/M.E. 783 ft. lbs.)

➤ 5 inch S&W model 27a. Item 19A/20-180gr. Hard Cast =1398 fps

HEAVY 10MM OUTDOORSMAN - 220 gr. Hard Cast - FN
(1200 fps/ME 703 ft. lbs.)

➤ 1140 fps - Glock model 20 4.6 inch barrel
➤ 1175 fps - Colt Delta Elite 5 inch barrel
➤ 1201 fps - Para Ordnance 1911 with Nowlin 5 inch barrel

44MAG#1
05-10-2017, 11:59 AM
Now take the ballistics of the 357 Mag with the 5 inch barrel and look at the ballistics from a revolver with a barrel and cylinder length combined that is the same length as the 4.6 inch barrel of a M20 Glock.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KFUAmIgR918
Many don't want to compare apples to apples but oranges to apples.

jmort
05-10-2017, 12:24 PM
You are still wrong. And the longer the barrel, the more the .357mag leaves the 10mm in the dust. Btw, we are zeroing out the cylinder gap in the revolver, so whining about barrel length definition and not considering cylinder gap just makes make the point even greater, .357 is more gun.

Energy of 756 foot-pounds for a 180 grain bullet at 1375 fps.

Item 19A/20-180gr. Hard cast LFN = 1375 fps

jmort
05-10-2017, 12:30 PM
Why can't the 10mm drones just be happy they have a great and useful round and a lot of firepower?
It is wrong to say it is equal to a .357 mag, and just plain stupid to bring up the .41 mag. Be happy with reality, that should be enough. Go and be happy.

44MAG#1
05-10-2017, 12:35 PM
Okay, you are on a trail. There is a Grizzly bear ready to charge you from 30 yards. You have your choice of a Glock M20 and a M27 Smith. Both are loaded with 200 gr hardcast. YOU HAVE LEFT YOUR 12 GUAGE AT HOME. Which would you choose to keep the bear off you? The better trigger pull of the Glock over the stiffer DA of the M27 and the more straighter recoil of the M20 so maybe you might get off one extra shot?

jmort
05-10-2017, 12:49 PM
Typically, you get off few shots
So make them count
I would carry a single action
Mine are tuned at 3 lbs, or less.
The single action will have a better trigger and get the first shot off faster
I have a 200 grain mold for my Blackhawk but I think 180 grains is better in the .357
But this is all conjecture for me as I don't have to worry about it
I would take a single action .500 JRH over any pistol/Glock ever made out in the wild with big bears to deal with

44MAG#1
05-10-2017, 12:58 PM
I dont have to worry about it either. I would pick the Glock M20 over the DA Smith or Ruger handguns and I am a revolver person plain ans simple. But, with the Glock M20 I have is a jewel of a Semi Auto. I hate to have to admit that. It actually grieves me to say it. I am a dyed in the wool 1911 fan too. But I have to say the Glocks WORK. I carry a M30 Gen4.
But if all else fails I could carry my Desert Eagle in 44 Mag with a good 300 gr Jacketed bullet. Now I believe it is more than a 10 or a 357. Or am I mistaken?

Lefty Red
05-10-2017, 04:37 PM
Okay, you are on a trail. There is a Grizzly bear ready to charge you from 30 yards. You have your choice of a Glock M20 and a M27 Smith. Both are loaded with 200 gr hardcast. YOU HAVE LEFT YOUR 12 GUAGE AT HOME. Which would you choose to keep the bear off you? The better trigger pull of the Glock over the stiffer DA of the M27 and the more straighter recoil of the M20 so maybe you might get off one extra shot?

I would choose the shortest barrel and the lowest non snag front sight. That way when the Grizzly takes the handgun and shoves it up your ****, it won't hurt as much.

But on another note, Maj Wesson took a few Grizzlies with his new 357 Magnum revolver with just a 158gr SWC. I haven't heard of anyone going hunting with a 10mm semi. Just saying.....

44MAG#1
05-10-2017, 04:39 PM
Bell killed many elephants with a 7X57 too. The point is?

Lefty Red
05-10-2017, 05:53 PM
Bell killed many elephants with a 7X57 too. The point is?

Have you heard of anyone taking a 10mm and going hunting with it, taking dangerous fame on three continents with it?

Yawn, I will wait here if you find anyone......

44MAG#1
05-10-2017, 06:16 PM
I dont know everything that everyone has ever done.
Can you state that no game has ever been taken with a 10MM
I cannot be so bold as some.

Lefty Red
05-10-2017, 06:53 PM
I dont know everything that everyone has ever done.
Can you state that no game has ever been taken with a 10MM
I cannot be so bold as some.

Like it's been said, the 10mm is an awesome round. But it's not the Phraser Set On Deep Fry that others have marketed out to be.

But you will never load a 10mm up in a Glock or Delta Elite to the way you can load a 357 up on a GP101 or 686.

Lefty

44MAG#1
05-10-2017, 07:49 PM
If 1200 fps witha 200 from a light easy carrying M20 cant get the job done 1200 fps wont with a 200 from a 357. Bottom line.
Just because Mr Wesson didnt kill anything with it doesnt mean squat.
according to some it take someone a few bricks shy of a load to use a 357 on big game anyway.
I have much more powerful handguns than either to begin with.
Im missing several bricks myself.

Plate plinker
05-10-2017, 07:58 PM
I don't own a 10mm but I can tell you a 185gr gold dot in 40 S&W will penetrate the spine of whitetail deer. My guess is a 10mm would handle a grizzly well enough. Not that it would be my number one choice but it would sure beat using a stick.

Lefty Red
05-10-2017, 08:04 PM
Looking for someone willing to go out after a Grizzly with a 185gr Gold Dot! I will pay for the rounds! LOL

44MAG#1
05-10-2017, 11:08 PM
Do you think a 220 gr cast from a 10MM wouldnt penetrate well?
There are 200 gr cast too. Why are you fixated on hollow points?
Buffalo Bore and Underwood both produce a 200 gr FPFMJ. Would they bounce off?

Lefty Red
05-11-2017, 12:45 AM
Do you think a 220 gr cast from a 10MM wouldnt penetrate well?
There are 200 gr cast too. Why are you fixated on hollow points?
Buffalo Bore and Underwood both produce a 200 gr FPFMJ. Would they bounce off?

I'll buy the bullets, you do the hunting! LOL

44MAG#1
05-11-2017, 12:53 AM
Just answer my question please. Do you think a 10MM with a hardcast 200 to 220 grain bullet at 1200 fps would not do jusr as good a job as a 357 Mag?

jmort
05-11-2017, 12:56 AM
I don't think the difference would be significant
But people should think before they make statements

44MAG#1
05-11-2017, 01:07 AM
That I agree. Have you not made a statement in your life without thinking. I admit I am far from perfect.

Lefty Red
05-11-2017, 02:21 AM
Just answer my question please. Do you think a 10MM with a hardcast 200 to 220 grain bullet at 1200 fps would not do jusr as good a job as a 357 Mag?

My thoughts are already stated.
I'm asking you to back up your "thoughts" by hunting a Grizzly with that load.

Lefty

44MAG#1
05-11-2017, 02:28 AM
Would you hunt a grizzly with a 357 Mag revolver?

Lefty Red
05-11-2017, 03:13 AM
Would you hunt a grizzly with a 357 Mag revolver?

Maj Douglas Wesson.
Guess they were just more of a man back then.

44MAG#1
05-11-2017, 03:24 AM
Maybe he was trying to prove a point. Or maybe he didnt know better. Maybe he was somewhat deranged.
who knows who cares. He could have done the same thing with a 10MM if there had been one.

Lefty Red
05-11-2017, 03:39 AM
Maybe he was trying to prove a point. Or maybe he didnt know better. Maybe he was somewhat deranged.
who knows who cares. He could have done the same thing with a 10MM if there had been one.

Yes is was a publicity tour to show off the new 357 Magnum! But I have yet to hear of someone taking a Grizzly at 135 years, one shot, with a 10mm. I personally wouldn't use a semi auto for hunting. Too many things can go wrong.

44mag, you feel good about the 10mm then good for you! Your opinion is all that matters. Mine is really all that matters to me. We might try to convince others with mathematical formalism, but the bottom line is that if you don't have faith in it then you probably won't use it. Peace and love to you Brother!

But Maj Douglas Wesson was showing off the new 357 Magnum that SW was putting out on their 38/44 frame. Several professional hunters in Africa was given them too. They reported back with kills of leopards and loins and Cape buffalo even. Wesson went all around NA and took all sorts of game animals. Using a 158 grain SWC with a velocity around 1500fps. Back then, it was the most powerful handgun around. Hard to say it's been removed from that position with better bullets and powders.

But I have yet to hear of anyone taking a semiauto and going around NA and using it to take game in the same way.

You like the 10mm, well so do I. But it's not my first choice for much in handgun. The 40SW is what I would use for urban protection and a 454 for the Deep woods variety above black bear.

Lefty

44MAG#1
05-11-2017, 03:47 AM
There have been many hunters since Wesson that have acomplished much more. He was just one of the earlier ones is all.

FergusonTO35
05-11-2017, 10:12 AM
Wow, we are really dissecting a hypothetical question that will never apply to most of us...

'Round here, we do have black bears and the occasional cougar in addition to the ever present coyotes and stray dogs. If I had to defend myself with a handgun against one of these, or a predator on two legs, I would choose one of my Glocks every time. I love wheelguns but really cannot shoot one stronger than .38 Special +P with any degree of accuracy. I can shoot my Glocks in 9mm and .40 S&W quite well by comparison without even trying hard. The fact that they hold 15 rounds instead of six certainly doesn't hurt. In a defensive situation I would hope to have my Glock 22. A well placed Lee 401-175-TC at 850 fps or so should do some serious damage.

44MAG#1
05-11-2017, 02:36 PM
Wow, we are really dissecting a hypothetical question that will never apply to most of us...

Exactly right. I have had my M20 for just a couple months or so and shoot it very well. Even with BB 180 gr loads recoil isn't bad. Shoots well, gun is easy to get back on target and the trigger with the Ghost trigger is not bad at all. Has 16 rounds with one up the spout.
Now with that said I love revolvers. Especially the 44 Mag and even have a Desert Eagle in 44 Mag.
Still as much as I love the revolvers and the 1911 guns I must say the Glock M20 is a fine gun and if I had to make a choice (I won't have to) I would pick it over ANY 357 Mag revolver if I were ever to hike or camp in bear country (again I won't have too). 200 Grain or 220 grain hardcast.
Still I would take a 44 Mag revolver over either one of them.

FergusonTO35
05-11-2017, 03:16 PM
I have to admit, I haven't tried a .41 Magnum, .44 Special, or .45 Colt yet. Until then, the Glock 22 gets the nod as my "big" side iron; errr, side plastic. The much maligned .40 Short & Weak is a fine platform for launching heavy-ish boolits. If Ruger came out with a .40 S&W Blackhawk I would buy one. Yes, they did make a .38-40 with spare .40 cylinder for awhile.

Idaho45guy
05-12-2017, 06:13 PM
I don't own a 10mm but I can tell you a 185gr gold dot in 40 S&W will penetrate the spine of whitetail deer. My guess is a 10mm would handle a grizzly well enough. Not that it would be my number one choice but it would sure beat using a stick.

No it would not handle a Grizzly well enough; unless the bear was in a cage and you got to pick your shots carefully...

That's as a rule, and there are always exceptions to the rule.

Heck, I saw a video a few months ago of a fishing guide in Alaska with 8-rounds or so of Buffalo Bore 9mm when a brown bear charged him. He killed it.

I live on the border of Washington and Idaho. I do all of my hunting and fishing and hiking in Idaho. There are Grizzlies about 60 miles East of here near the Montana border. I have never came across a Grizzly in the woods. Friends have but I haven't. I've come across several wolves and cougars and black bear and ill-tempered moose, but never a Grizzly.

The 10mm is perfectly suited for defense against anything I'll come upon in the woods; except a Grizzly. And even then, with extreme examples of the 9mm, I just may be able to survive a super rare encounter. And given how rare such encounters are, the chances that the Grizzly will just go on it's merry way and not maul me for the fun of it is also highly probable.

Idaho45guy
05-12-2017, 06:19 PM
And I got the gun the other day and immediately made some loads for it. It is a shooter... Not as accurate as my BH Bisley, but with 60% more ammo capacity, it will do...

44MAG#1
05-12-2017, 06:21 PM
"The 10mm is perfectly suited for defense against anything I'll come upon in the woods; except a Grizzly."

Would you rather have a 9MM or a 10MM?
Is there perfectly suited packable controllable handgun for Grizzly or would that depend on the shooter? If the shooter is included would he be better off with something he/she can control or better off with a cannon that they cannot control?

44MAG#1
05-12-2017, 06:26 PM
At what distances were those targets shot and were they offhand?

Idaho45guy
05-12-2017, 08:04 PM
At what distances were those targets shot and were they offhand?

Shot at 25yds with a rest. I'm not exactly a competition level shooter and I've only shot one other pistol with smaller groups than that, and that was my Ruger BH. Best with it I think was around 1 1/4" shooting from the same bench.

All my pistols will do under 3" at 25yds.

To have a woods carry gun that will group under 2" with 180gr hard cast boolits going around 1200fps is good enough for me. Might have to try it at 50 and 100yds next just to see where it hits...

FergusonTO35
05-12-2017, 10:38 PM
If the shooter is included would he be better off with something he/she can control or better off with a cannon that they cannot control?

That's always what I tell people about choosing a gun for any serious purpose. If you can't control the darn thing then you are seriously handicapping yourself when you may need the gun to save your life. A guy I know is wanting an S&W 640 for his first carry gun and he is planning to carry magnums in it. This dude is a good shot with his Sig P320 9mm but I think he is going to be in for a surprise shooting a DAO snubnose with .357's for the first time. In fact I would bet that he will never practice with it or trade it on a single stack 9mm in short order.

birch
05-12-2017, 11:25 PM
I have a very strong love of metal and wood.

But......whenever I pick up a Glock--it just feels like home. They are comforting. They come and they go, but there is always a home in my safe for the beautifully homely Glock.

I have been looking for an affordable Gen 1 for a while. Anyone have a beater in their safe that needs a home?

FergusonTO35
05-13-2017, 12:20 AM
I think the Browning Hi-Power is the most beautiful handgun in the world. That said, I actually think the Glock is a good looking gun. I dig the sharply angular, high speed/low drag look of Glocks, especially the gen. 2 models and the 42/43 single stacks which don't have those ugly and uncomfortable finger bumps.

Geezer in NH
05-20-2017, 11:03 PM
Enter reality folks

http://www.breitbart.com/sports/2016/08/16/fishing-guide-kills-grizzly-bear-9mm-handgun-charges-female-client/

9mm Grizzly stop not a 10mm but a 9mm

I do not recommend either as a 12 pump and Brenneke slugs are more reliable IMHO