PDA

View Full Version : Pacific die question

brstevns
05-02-2017, 09:53 AM
I finally found a 358 win seating die Pacific Brand, but it is missing the seating stem assembly the screw in part and seating stem. Will a RCBS stem work, or does anyone have this part?

Mk42gunner
05-02-2017, 11:40 AM
Off the top of my head, I'm going to say the RCBS stem won't fit, but an older Hornady one might.

Hornady bought out Pacific a few decades ago and IIRC they sold dies under the Pacific name for a few years before finally marking everything Hornady. If all else fails call them, they might still have parts in stock for the old style dies.

Robert

jimkim
05-02-2017, 12:16 PM
If the tread is the same, it sbould fit. I have several Pacific dies, and the seaters from Redding, CH4D, Forster, RCBS, and Lyman fit, depending on the type. Is it a DuraChrome? I'd call Hornady and see if a seater from the new American series die will fit. If they can't help call CH4D. If you have some other dies, or are near a store that has some, go see if you can find one that fits there. Then you'll know what works. If you have access to a shop you can make one from a bolt. Just find one that fits. Drill a hole(I'd use something around 11/32) through it, and chamfer the part that engages the ogive.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

EDG
05-02-2017, 12:50 PM
I have the same Pacific .358 Win die body and I found the large RCBS 1/2-20 thread bushing will fit the Pacific die and I installed a RCBS expander. This large bushing used to be used in the FL die of some large caliber rounds.
If you can get the tapered expander that will open .308 brass to .358 with one pass.

I finally found a 358 win seating die Pacific Brand, but it is missing the seating stem assembly the screw in part and seating stem. Will a RCBS stem work, or does anyone have this part?

AZ Pete
05-02-2017, 01:44 PM
I have some old Pacific Durachrome dies, and the seating stem have the same diameter and thread pitch as some similar vintage RCBS dies. I can't say whether either company did or did not vary from the dies I have though

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jimkim
05-02-2017, 07:38 PM
Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk