PDA

View Full Version : .494 bullet update (AKA Modified S&W 500)

54bore
05-01-2017, 11:55 PM
I have been working with this new bullet quite a bit the last few days, i feel like i finally have it ironed out for my Rifle, Playing with bullet hardness, and sizing. My rifle seems to like the bullet a little harder than softer, around 8.5BHN has given me the best results so far (i plan to try some 9-9.5BHN soon) i feel that sized from .499 to .500 played the biggest factor? My rifle didn't seem to shoot .499 that well, maybe a combination of both softer lead and sized to .499 was a no go? I tried sizing to .500 and things started to come together, powder charge didn't seem to matter much? I have shot 70-85 Weight grains of Swiss 3F powder and ended up sticking with 85 Grains (my testing has found 80 Volume to weigh 82 Weight Grains) i Chronographed the load today and got good results, my average of 5 shots is right at 1400 FPS, This bullet weighs 453-454 Grains with the onion skin paper, i ran 453 Grains on a Shooter calculator and this load comes out at 1,972 Ft lbs of muzzle energy, Here is a 5 Shot group at 50-60 yards, my first 3 shots were the horizontal 3 above the bull touching eachother.

194530 194532

Harleysboss
05-02-2017, 01:05 AM
That's a quality target! I would say things are coming together for sure.

RBak
05-02-2017, 02:07 AM
What sizer are you using? Who makes it for you?
Seems once I start reading, I always forget to ask you that question.
You've got a LOT of good things going on, hard to keep up.
I will also be ordering a .493 mold, I like what I'm seeing with that mold.

Russ...

54bore
05-02-2017, 04:47 AM
What sizer are you using? Who makes it for you?
Seems once I start reading, I always forget to ask you that question.
You've got a LOT of good things going on, hard to keep up.
I will also be ordering a .493 mold, I like what I'm seeing with that mold.

Russ...

Russ, I am using Lee push through sizers, Its kind of a funny story how i came across the .500, It started life as a .498 I wasn't exactly happy with the way it loaded so i intended to open it up just 1 thou to .499, i went 1 thou to far with it, without even trying it i was bummed out and ordered a .499, Come to find out my screw up was PERFECT at .500, at least my rifle likes it! I really like the way the .500 loads, i can load with just my thumb and index finger on my range rod, but there is noticeably enough resistance that i dont worry about the bullet backing off the charge. But when you get this close it comes down to a barrel per barrel basis (meaning a .500 might be to tight for your barrel? Even though it works great for mine) I tried this same thing with a .448 for my .45 Cal, i wanted .449, But I really screwed that one up! It ended up at .451-452, When you only need to go 1 thou all you really need to do is a high lusture polish with something like Flitz metal polish, make that sizing ring a mirror!

I was told by a couple of very trusted sources that best accuracy will usually be found at 1-2 thou under bore. After messing with this .50 Cal, I am a FIRM believer that sizing is a BIG key to accuracy, i think a guy should have 2-3 sizers per caliber, example being for .50 Cal, a .498, .499, .500, i would go with a .498, and a .499, you will likely find the 'sweet spot' with one or the other, But say you change to another bullet, it might like the opposite of the other? A few sizers is a good idea in my honest opinion. I personally would not go with anything over 2 thou under bore, another example being .45 Cal, i would go with a .448, and a .449

54bore
05-02-2017, 04:53 AM
That's a quality target! I would say things are coming together for sure.

I feel REALLY good about things after today! My next testing with this rifle will be 200 yards.

triggerhappy243
05-06-2017, 12:09 AM
RUB IT IN 54bore.........................LOL, I have not been able to shoot in 45 day. weather has been a bear with a hemorrhoid.