PDA

View Full Version : Lima Beans

Blackwater
05-01-2017, 03:36 PM
I've always loved Lima beans. Problem is, I like them best with lots of onion, garlic, and peppers or whatever I can find that might be good in them. Bell pepper can be good also. The real problem comes AFTER you eat these, in the form of noxious and VERY generous amounts of gasses that emanate from our other end.

Well, a neighbor who used to own and run a very popular seafood restaurant down near our best and most prime salt water fishing area in Ga., taught me a number of things about cooking. He cooked for some Japanese businessmen who came here on an international swap of businessmen, to learn of each other's business cultures and proceedures. He really wowed the whole crew of them with an old styled Southern fish fry, and the biggest hit of the evening was fried squash - the sliced kind, battered up and fried golden brown. Those men tucked one corner of their big cloth napkins in their collars, and he came around with a huge bowl of those fried squash, and each one heaped as many as they could into that napkin, holding the far end up to keep the contents in it, and sat eating them like potato chips. They ate so many and for so long that the college that sponsored their event paid him a bonus for staying so long and doing such great cooking.

This good man told me that the "secret" to cooking Limas or whatever else tends to produce gas, is to simmer them a LONG time, as in several hours. I tried it and .... it WORKED! So any time I want a good mess of Limas, now, I make sure I've got several hours to simmer them. Sure does keep me smiling all night long!

What special ways do you all have of cooking Limas or other beans/peas, that make them "special" on your tables? Cooking is one of those things that varies quite a bit from region to region and person to person, and I just know some of you have "secrets" that you might be cajoled to reveal here. We all promise not to tell your secrets, OK? :D

SciFiJim
05-01-2017, 08:09 PM
Another trick to eliminate some of the gas, it to soak the dried beans overnight and then discard the water the beans have soaked in and cook them in fresh water.

Bzcraig
05-01-2017, 10:25 PM
Lima and butter beans ummmm!

trails4u
05-01-2017, 10:29 PM
always one of my favorites....and we still call them camel beans to this day. apparently as a kid, I couldn't remember lima, so was thinking llama, and couldn't remember that either, so I called them camel beans. :)

JBinMN
05-02-2017, 12:23 AM
Lima and butter beans ummmm!

I like them both! & succotash too.
:D

Bulldogger
05-02-2017, 08:05 AM
Another trick to eliminate some of the gas, it to soak the dried beans overnight and then discard the water the beans have soaked in and cook them in fresh water.
I use this trick WITH a half or quarter of an onion, but not chopped up. (Half or quarter depending on how much beans are in the soaking pot. Just eyeball it.) The onion seems to help tame gas too. Throw out the water and the onion after soaking several hours, then cook up the beans as normal.
BDGR

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-02-2017, 01:13 PM
I use a pressure cooker for beans also.
what I've read for an equivalent to pre-soak is a method I use, but I know others have criticized this, as you possibly lose some flavor. But, for me, I believe it does remove the tendency of excessive flatulence.

I have a modern stainless pressure cooker (Fagor) with the quick pressure release.

Actually I have some cooking right now, Noir Cowpeas, a heirloom bean that I swapped for, right here in our forum...they grow well in MN and are fairly prolific and hearty...I have always gotten two pickings, and last year a third picking, due to the long season of 2016.

Anyway, I take 1 cup dry beans and 4 cups of tap water, bring to the begining of a boil, put lid on pressure cooker, when it's up to pressure, time one or two minutes (depending on Bean type), then cut heat, then use quick release of pressure. then Drain the beans in colander and discard the soak water. I believe in the cooking world, this is known as Quick Soak. then I run cool water over beans just long enough to cool them a bit (10 seconds is enough). Then I put them in a mini food chopper, to break the skins...as I don't prefer whole beans in my cooked bean entrees.

Now back into the pressure cooker, adding 4 cups of new liquid. chicken brooth or thined tomato juice or whatever. now is also the time I'll add other ingredients as well: meat/bell peppers/mushrooms...whatever. Then I put it on heat, replace lid, bring up to pressure, time is about 16 minutes...it'll vary with bean type...after time out, I let the pressure cooker come down slowly. remove lid and it may or may not be ready. I will add more liquid if it's too dry, or if it's too wet, I simmer with lid off to cook off some of the liquid.

shaner
05-02-2017, 03:19 PM
I've tried adding a tablespoon of baking soda to your beans .it does cut out alot of the gas

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

376Steyr
05-02-2017, 03:42 PM
Lima beans are best eaten when served with ham, in an OD Green can, opened with a P38 hung from your dogtags. Having them above room temperature is optional.

gwpercle
05-02-2017, 04:02 PM
I think my most favorite beans are Camellia Brand Large Lima's......cooked down with smoked ham hocks and served over rice with hot cornbread ! Fixed a big pot about two weeks ago.

Camels , Llamas..... large , 4 legs and furry , in a kids mind that's close enough !
Gary

308Jeff
05-02-2017, 04:44 PM
One of the few foods I truly despise. Then again, I have eaten any (or rather forced to eat them) in about 40 years though. Maybe my tastes have changed since then

Blackwater
05-02-2017, 04:49 PM
Trails4u, it doesn't matter what you call them. Doesn't change the flavor in the least.

I've been wanting to make a batch for a while now, but my wife doesn't like them, so .... the wait to pull the trigger. Thanks for all the anti-gas recommendations. I can use them all.

Beans have a delicate flavor, so it's extra important, it seems to keep the "little things" we do to them very consistent, in order to get the full benefit of their delicate flavors. A little enhancement is good, but it's easy to "over flavor" them. I'm still a mid-level cook, or aspiring to be, and my experimental bent CAN get me in trouble occasionally. But most of the stuff I cook is pretty darn good. Even my wife likes it, and she's a tough one to get a complement from! You guys here sure help a lot! And when on a restricted diet, all ideas are not only considered, but sought out and VERY appreciated. Was expecting to go help a friend, but he called and cancelled, so .... I think I'm gonna' make up a pot for tonight. I've waited long enough!

NSB
05-02-2017, 05:42 PM
You could try switching to a stick deoderant instead of a roll on. A stick deoderant says on the directions " Twist off top and push up bottom". It's a bit difficult to walk, and you can't sit down, but when you pass gas the room smells wonderful.

William Yanda
05-02-2017, 06:23 PM
Lima beans are best eaten when served with ham, in an OD Green can, opened with a P38 hung from your dogtags. Having them above room temperature is optional.

Are those labeled not for use before flight?

Blanket
05-02-2017, 09:36 PM
Lima beans are best eaten when served with ham, in an OD Green can, opened with a P38 hung from your dogtags. Having them above room temperature is optional. The term for that is not polite with ladies present, to dry to heat good with C4 but saved on the Kleenex sized TP

MaryB
05-02-2017, 11:16 PM
That type of bean has a mealy texture I hate, flavor is okay but the texture totally turns me off. Mom used to get mixed veg in a can with them and heat it for supper... to this day I cannot go near them.

Der Gebirgsjager
05-03-2017, 08:16 AM
My experiences with Lima beans are somewhat limited, but memorable. When I was a kid my dad bought a cattle ranch in the Sierra Nevada foothills. A distant relative, sort of an aunt and her husband helped us move. After the first load was unloaded my dad and the "uncle" headed out to get another. Then it snowed about 3 ft. deep and for all intents and purposes we were snowed in. The aunt found several jars of dried Lima beans in the cellar and, having brought along a huge ham, made ham and Lima beans. She cooked them all day, morning to evening, and they were delicious. I can't recall an adverse reaction, and we continued to eat them for the following three days.

My next encounter with them was in the army in the early '60s. Whenever we went on maneuvers we subsisted primarily on C-Rations that were canned in 1943. Ham and Lima beans was one of the choices you might get, and initially I like them and even used to swap the highly prized beefsteak and potatoes meal for them. But then I got a bad can and suffered severe acid reflux for about a month and would never touch them again.

Then, in the '80s, my wife tried a recipe called, "Beef and Beans". It used Lima beans for the bean part of the recipe, and was hands down one of the most tasty, delicious things I have eaten. But than night, after dinner, I was awakened from a sound sleep by this horrible odor. It adversely effected both of us, and it went on and on. I really can't describe how awful it was, but a gas mask would have been a blessing. We just couldn't believe it, so a few days later ate the left overs and relived the same experience. It was ghastly. Then, I guess the Devil was standing behind me whispering in my ear, because I got the idea that we should make a big pot of "Beef and Beans" and take it to the church potluck. We talked about it and laughed and laughed, but in the end decided that it really wouldn't be the Christian thing to do.

So, that about sums up my experience with Lima beans. But I do fix pinto beans fairly often and note on the label that there are two types of soak, overnight and quick. Usually when I get the desire for them overnight has passed and I've only got a few hours before dinner, so I use the quick soak method. That involves covering the desired quantity of beans with tap water and bringing them to a high boil for about 2 1/2 minutes. Then I pour the contents of the pot into a colander and rinse them with cold water, then return to the pot and cover again with fresh water. At this particular time in this particular place I use bottled water for the second go around because we can taste chlorine in the tap water. Of course almost any pinto bean recipe uses onion, but I don't know if that further cuts down on the gas or not. However, the results are almost gasless. My mother did use baking soda in her beans, and I have had good reports of a product called "Beano" but have never tried it.

I would like to try the Lima beans again, but now have a Lima Phobia based on life experiences. :roll:

Puts me in mind of the time my wife accidentally substituted cayenne pepper for cinnamon in her cinnamon rolls. Another story for another time. :D

Blackwater
05-04-2017, 06:34 PM
NSB and DerG, you guys have tears in my eyes from laughing so hard! And BTW, I've tried the Beano, but can never seem to take it far enough ahead of time. I'll either simmer them for 3-4 hours or more, or use the baking powder. Wife didn't want them last night, so ..... I'll wait a bit longer. Sure do have a taste for a bunch, though!

DCP
05-05-2017, 09:00 AM
Lima beans and Liver the 2 worst food created by our LORD

Blackwater
05-05-2017, 01:10 PM
:D :D ;) More for those of us who love them! Seriously, this is why we are so blessed to have such a variety of foods to eat. Through much of mankind's history, there really wan't nearly the kind of choice we have today. Today, we have foods from just about every country in the world, and thanks to technology, it can all be fresh when we get them. About the only things I don't really like are avacados. Can't think of anything else at the moment. Mostly, I always just wanted to be sure there'd be plenty of whatever was on the table. Now, I eat less than half what I used to, and still can't lose weight! And eating less, it seems to really help if what I eat tastes really good. Spices are a key, but an ability to appreciate a broad range of foods helps too. As long as I feel I've eaten well when I push away from the table, it's a lot easier to avoid the things I can't eat now. Not easy .... but easiER.

Der Gebirgsjager
05-05-2017, 03:30 PM
Ahhhh....avacados! Truly one of God's great gifts. When I was a kid I despised them. Seemed so slimy in the mouth. As I grew older and rubbed shoulders with the Hispanic community I was introduced to their food and guacamole. Wonderful stuff! Then I came to like finding chunks of avocado in my salads, slices on hamburgers....I could go on.

Subsequently I owned a home in central-coastal Calif. that had a large avocado tree in the front yard. The yard was fenced, and the tree was at least 40 ft. from the front fence. I waited and wondered why it never bore any fruit. A beautiful, healthy tree, but no avocados. I thought that perhaps it might be the climate. Then I finally looked into it a bit and learned that there are male and female trees. Only the female trees bear fruit, and a male tree has to be close enough for pollination to occur. Since there weren't any other avocado trees in the area I kind of gave up on seeing any. Then, after several years, one day I found a perfect avocado lying in the soft dirt beneath the tree. Just the one, never any more.
One of life's great mysteries.

308Jeff
05-05-2017, 04:20 PM
Avocados! Now we're talking. I eat at least a couple every week.

Interesting story about the trees. Never knew that.

Blackwater
05-08-2017, 01:17 AM
My wife likes them, and I have nothing against them. They just don't "thrill" me the way most other foods do. Still haven't pulled the trigger on a good "mess" of limas yet. Have been too busy to watch them simmer long enough. But SOON! These cravings are only dealt with by a good mess of whatever you're cravin'!

shaner
05-08-2017, 07:11 AM
Avocados! Now we're talking. I eat at least a couple every week.

Interesting story about the trees. Never knew that.
Iam with you on avocado. But iam a tight *** shopper. Around here in ohio the price varies so much I buy when they are low end . Prices range some weeks .49 and they will get up to $1.89.
So when they are. .49 I eat the heck out of them
I like to take them in my lunch box .just cut one In half sprinkle of salt and spoon it out

shaner
05-08-2017, 07:14 AM
Beans Beans the magical fruit. More you eat the more you toot. More you toot the better you feel! Let's have bean's for every meal!

eyehawk
05-08-2017, 12:17 PM
How about a recipe for the "Beef and Beans" !

Der Gebirgsjager
05-08-2017, 01:09 PM
How about a recipe for the "Beef and Beans" !

You'd have to sign a release holding me blameless and free from subsequent legal action. ;)

Seriously, though, I'd be happy to publish it, although you'd be wise to live out of doors for a couple of days after consuming it!
Honestly, at the moment I'm in the process of moving and all of the cookbooks are packed away in a storage container. The move will be completed in about 60-90 days, and eventually I will unpack them. Even then, I'm not sure exactly where the recipe is, but it will no doubt surface, and when it does I'll be happy to share it with you. But because I don't know exactly when that will be, do and will still have a lot on my mind in getting resettled, and being on the wrong side of 70, I'll put the responsibility to follow up on you. I suggest that in the future you PM me and remind me that you wish to throw caution to the winds, and I'll either have found it and send it to you, look for it, or postpone it again until I do find it. I'm certain that we still have it. And I know that the U.S. Army Chemical Corps. would also be interested. :D

Blackwater
05-12-2017, 06:09 PM
Give the baking soda and some long term simmering a try, Der G, and see if that helps on the tooting. I was fortunate enough to grow up with a Mom who could take corn shucks and cow patties, and make a delectable meal out of them! This spoiled me forever, and I have a passion for food that has proven not to be entirely good for me. But though I can't eat as MUCH as I once liked, and kind'a required (I couldn't gain weight even when I tried!), I STILL love a great meal, and have found that as long as I like what I've eaten, it's a LOT easier to stick within a good diet. Pleasure in eating seems to count nearly as much as volume! And like any self-respecting country boy, beans will always hold a special place in my heart. As the old timers usta' say, "They'll stick to your ribs!" And indeed they do, but not always without "side effects." Managing those side effects is a big part of enjoying them in our PC world that regards tooting as a serious offense. People just don't laugh it off like we once did as kids. In some ways, it's a shame we hafta' grow up! But I'm a bit like Peter Pan, and have no intention of "growing up" if it means passing on enjoying all the simple pleasures! And I'm not dependent on being liked or respected by everyone. That, at least, is one encumberment that I've managed to avoid ..... so far.

woodbutcher
05-15-2017, 05:47 PM
;) Hi Styer.Ham and watchamacallits eh?
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo