PDA

View Full Version : CVA Tracker carbine .50 cal percussion muzzleloader

commando223
05-01-2017, 10:37 AM
https://s1.postimg.org/p39rmmc0f/385417_01_cva_tracker_carbine_50_640.jpg

I got one of these coming in and wanted to see if you guys can help me out with some load ideas. I am only familiar with .58 cal military style muzzleloaders so not sure if they can use the Minié ball ammo or just patched round ball.

This rifle is supposed to have a 1:32 twist rate.

FFG or FFFG?

What kind of caps would this use? ( I have 4 winged musket caps for my .58 calibers)

Is there a particular bullet mould you guys recommend?

Also if anyone has a copy of the manual or knows where to get one that would be great.

taco650
05-01-2017, 10:57 AM
If I'm not mistaken this rifle will use #11 caps which are different (and smaller) than the musket style you use on your .58

mooman76
05-01-2017, 11:03 AM
Try the Lee REALs with an over powder wad. Try the minies too, you don't really know until you try.

bubba.50
05-01-2017, 11:08 AM
Lee R.E.A.L. moulds come in two weights and the heavier of the two will most likely work best in yer fast-twist gun. other good choices would be T/C maxi-balls & Lyman Great Plains bullets.

and if ya do a bit of readin' here ya might even get interested in seein' what paper-patched bullets will do in it.

johnson1942
05-01-2017, 05:44 PM
i would try a 50 cal mini ball bullet resized to .492 then dry wrapped with number 9 paper 2 wraps and put a 50 cal 60 thousands thick fiber or poly wad behind the bullet and around 70 to 80 grains of powder and bet she would really shoot. wipe between rounds.

fastdadio
05-02-2017, 07:29 PM
That is a dandy! Looks just like my Traditions Buckskinner. .50, 1/20 twist. Musket nipples can be had for it if you have a good supply. I no longer use #11s in mine since the muskets give so much better ignition. I also use an accura shot nipple for hunting which uses a small magnum rifle primer. If your a brush hunter, once you get a load develped for it, your going to love it. Mine is my #1 hunting rifle and that says a lot coming from a guy who's safe is bulging with fine firearms. Please keep us posted on your results.

54bore
05-03-2017, 10:10 AM
If it is 1:32 Twist it should shoot bullets REALLY well. Like bubba.50 said The Lee R.E.A.L. Bullets should shoot good, Lyman Plains makes a .50 Cal mold that i have had AWESOME results with, The Lee S&W .500 will work REALLY good as well if you follow Idahoron's method of use, i had a custom mold made from the Lee S&W 500 that drops from the mold undersize for patching up, i have had great results with it now as well. If you dont want to paper patch I personally would look for a TC Maxi Ball Mold in .50 Cal, and DEFINITELY use a good over powder wad to seal the gasses behind the bullet, either wool or Vegetable Fibre .060 Thou, if you go wool i would get them for .54 Cal, they stil load in your 50 really easy, in my opinion the little extra just helps seal the gasses that much better. I believe the over powder wad is EXTREMELY important for fine accuracy, you need to create a tight REPEATABLE gas seal EVERY SHOT, with a good over powder wad, consistent powder, and your bullets weighing within a grain or so of eachother, Accuracy WILL follow

fiberoptik
05-03-2017, 07:00 PM
Short & stubby!

commando223
05-03-2017, 07:40 PM
Thanks for the replies guys.

I'm checking midway for bullet moulds just wondering what diameter bullets are best for this? There seem to be .50 cal moulds but several different diameters.

Edward
05-05-2017, 08:00 PM
Thanks for the replies guys.

I'm checking midway for bullet moulds just wondering what diameter bullets are best for this? There seem to be .50 cal moulds but several different diameters.
You dont know till you slug bore ,and while shopping for above molds mentioned add a Lee push thru lube/sizer to make appropriate diameter for your barrel .

bubba.50
05-05-2017, 08:26 PM
You dont know till you slug bore ,and while shopping for above molds mentioned add a Lee push thru lube/sizer to make appropriate diameter for your barrel .

do not use a sizer with either the Lee R.E.A.L. bullets or T/C maxi-hunters or maxi-balls as it will ruin the driving band that catches the riflin' when loadin' & helps seal the bore.

Texas by God
05-05-2017, 11:38 PM
do not use a sizer with either the Lee R.E.A.L. bullets or T/C maxi-hunters or maxi-balls as it will ruin the driving band that catches the riflin' when loadin' & helps seal the bore.
Yep- Rifling Engraved At Loading. I remember when they came out.