PDA

View Full Version : Good deal meat !

Boaz
04-30-2017, 04:38 PM
Stopped at the grocery store yesterday . Meat bargain bin was full . My freezer went out a few weeks ago , lost all the meat (A LOT !) . Loaded up , lots of pork and chicken , breakfast sausage , pig feet , 4 cooked rotisserie chickens , beef steak (cheap cuts) .

Started last night , back at it after church .Been cutin up stew meat , cooking , using a food saver and vacuuming it up to go in the freezer . Got over 62 pounds of meat , Added the weights , price , figured in trimming/waste and got 87 cents a pound in it . GOD does provide !

DerekP Houston
04-30-2017, 04:43 PM
Wow that is a heck of a deal, way to go! I love the bargain bin when shopping.

bubba.50
04-30-2017, 08:26 PM
what meat here that don't come out of the woods or a fast-food restaurant comes from the mark-down rack or a really good sale. couple stores in the area have been havin' truckload meat sales but so far the sorry rascals always wait 'til I'm broke to have them.

Thumbcocker
04-30-2017, 08:30 PM
We pressure can deer and chicken breast. No worries about power failure and the tenderest meat you ever ate.

rancher1913
04-30-2017, 08:33 PM
you know you can homecan meat and its shelf stable for years. need to make some stew, just dump a jar in and add your fixins. we can all the lesser cuts but do keep the steaks in the freezer.

DerekP Houston
04-30-2017, 08:35 PM
you know you can homecan meat and its shelf stable for years. need to make some stew, just dump a jar in and add your fixins. we can all the lesser cuts but do keep the steaks in the freezer.

I tried it once but had less than favorable reviews from the family. Any tips or recipes for canning beef stew meat? I keep a good supply in the freezer so i don't have to pay full price ever.

GhostHawk
04-30-2017, 09:10 PM
God will provide, you have to be willing to do the work and I don't think he likes waste much.

Sat wife came home with 7 chicken breasts, 8 thigh's. One breast one thigh in each package vacumn sealed and frozen. A big pork shoulder which I cut into 2 pork roasts, and a nice package of ribs, and a whole chicken.

Roasted chicken for supper, tonight left overs went into the pan with celery, some turkey gravy, a can of Mushroom soup, mixed it with a bag of Chow Mein Noodles put it in a cassorole and baked for 45 min. 2 meals for 2 people with one chicken and minor fixins. We ate good and did it cheaply.

I know what you mean about the freezer, ours got "unplugged' 6 months ago and we have been filling it back up steady. About there now. Hate to see that good stuff go in the garbage.

Tommorow btw I will probably cook what is left of that chicken carcass for soup. Chicken and Rice, chicken noodle, costs penny's and is good for you.

Think smart, plan ahead, love our vacumn sealer. We have virtually no waste now in the freezer. And lettuce will keep for a couple of weeks if you "lightly" suck the air out.

Don't want to crush it too far.

Boaz
04-30-2017, 10:05 PM
God will provide, you have to be willing to do the work and I don't think he likes waste much.

Sat wife came home with 7 chicken breasts, 8 thigh's. One breast one thigh in each package vacumn sealed and frozen. A big pork shoulder which I cut into 2 pork roasts, and a nice package of ribs, and a whole chicken.

Roasted chicken for supper, tonight left overs went into the pan with celery, some turkey gravy, a can of Mushroom soup, mixed it with a bag of Chow Mein Noodles put it in a cassorole and baked for 45 min. 2 meals for 2 people with one chicken and minor fixins. We ate good and did it cheaply.

I know what you mean about the freezer, ours got "unplugged' 6 months ago and we have been filling it back up steady. About there now. Hate to see that good stuff go in the garbage.

Tommorow btw I will probably cook what is left of that chicken carcass for soup. Chicken and Rice, chicken noodle, costs penny's and is good for you.

Think smart, plan ahead, love our vacumn sealer. We have virtually no waste now in the freezer. And lettuce will keep for a couple of weeks if you "lightly" suck the air out.

Don't want to crush it too far.

Food saver (vacuum packing) is a money saver ! Buy when the gettins good and put it up . When you get use to doing it ..no big deal . I cut up cheap steak and lean pork for stew , stir fry , soup , etc . Cooked about 25 pounds of chicken , pork chops , turkey , steak and in the freezer right now . Kept both racks full in the oven cooking ...why not if your production 'putting up' . Plus cooked is ..heat and eat ready to go . I usually load the grill/smoker up but the wind has blowed about 25 mph all day long .

rancher1913
04-30-2017, 10:13 PM
I tried it once but had less than favorable reviews from the family. Any tips or recipes for canning beef stew meat? I keep a good supply in the freezer so i don't have to pay full price ever.

will get some info from the master canner AKA my wife and send it your way.

308Jeff
04-30-2017, 10:14 PM
Food spoilage is covered under your home owner's insurance policy.

Boaz
04-30-2017, 10:17 PM
Food spoilage is covered under your home owner's insurance policy.

Really ! Didn't know that Jeff .

308Jeff
04-30-2017, 10:22 PM
Yes, sir. Gotta exceed that deductible though.

Boaz
04-30-2017, 10:29 PM
Well it's already hauled off soo .....

MaryB
04-30-2017, 11:03 PM
Something to be said for a freezer alarm. Mine went off today, one of the cats had pulled the cord out of the wall. Never got above 10 degrees. New kitten is learning cords get a spanking and an angry momma for a day!

Canned meat needs to be properly seasoned to taste good, salt mainly goes a long ways to a better tasting end product!And when heated do not boil it, just heat it through or it gets dry and tough.

I buy the 10 pound bags of chicken leg quarters at Walmart or the grocery store(same brand), food saver bag 1 or 2 to a bag. Great baked, tossed on the smoker, deep fried, simmered for soup... and when on sale usually $5.00! I will grab 40 pounds of them to freeze.

rancher1913
04-30-2017, 11:05 PM
Hi, rancher's wife here. Canned meats always smell a little different when you first open them up. The kids think my homecanned chicken smells like tuna.... not a BAD smell, just different. I find that meat looks better, has better texture, and cans up nicer if it is cooked, then canned. When we have beef done, all the soup bones and stew meat goes in a big roaster with a bit of vinegar (to pull the calcium out of the bones). When it is done, I can it up (pressure canned at 15#pressure for 90 minutes for our elevation). I cook whole chickens until they are just about done (there might be a little pink next to the bones), then debone them and can. I add chicken broth to as much as I can, then a bouillon cube and water to the rest when I run out of broth. I don't typically add seasonings or onion, as I find they get stronger with canning. I can always add them later.

Canned meat is one of the most convenient things ever.

MT Gianni
04-30-2017, 11:34 PM
One great use for bottled venison or beef is shepherds pie or stew meat. Just add it to the stew last and precook the pie ingredients, then bake until the crust is done.

Boaz
05-01-2017, 10:20 AM
Something to be said for a freezer alarm. Mine went off today, one of the cats had pulled the cord out of the wall. Never got above 10 degrees. New kitten is learning cords get a spanking and an angry momma for a day!

Canned meat needs to be properly seasoned to taste good, salt mainly goes a long ways to a better tasting end product!And when heated do not boil it, just heat it through or it gets dry and tough.

I buy the 10 pound bags of chicken leg quarters at Walmart or the grocery store(same brand), food saver bag 1 or 2 to a bag. Great baked, tossed on the smoker, deep fried, simmered for soup... and when on sale usually $5.00! I will grab 40 pounds of them to freeze.

I bought an alarm on your recommendation when I posted in the 'appliance' thread . Need to get it set up .