PDA

View Full Version : Excess of reloaded brass?

DonMountain
04-30-2017, 03:29 PM
Since I started this hobby of reloading 30 or 40 years ago, and the collection of guns and reloading equipment, I seem to be forgetting what I have and buying new brass and "stuff" like it is an obsession. Sometimes I like to pick out one of my old military rifles and work up new loads for it, only to discover that I worked up a bunch of loads and still have a lot of various brass and bullets assembled for shooting something. I have about 30 sets of reloading dies so I must have at least that many rifles or handguns to shoot. So it seems like I prefer reloading more so than shooting up all of this ammo. And I loose a bunch of it in "storage" in big plastic containers stacked on a shelf in my reloading room. And forget its there. So next time I go buy more brass to reload. How do I overcome this obsession with having all of this old reloading ammo stored and making more? I don't even know how to keep track of it all? How do I make more sense of it all? [smilie=b:

M-Tecs
04-30-2017, 03:30 PM
Excel spreadsheet

DerekP Houston
04-30-2017, 03:55 PM
I'm guilty of the same, i enjoy casting and loading more than trips to the range ;). I suppose it might be different if I was in a rural location with my own range I could visit whenever I wanted. I printed off a bunch of labels and drop one in each bag/ammo can as I pack them up for future reference.

brstevns
04-30-2017, 04:15 PM
What fun is it knowing where everything is ?[smilie=l:

salpal48
04-30-2017, 04:44 PM
I have solved That problem . I just keep making It.

jetinteriorguy
04-30-2017, 08:26 PM
You need to shoot more. It's that simple.

Guesser
04-30-2017, 10:02 PM
I was introduced to hand loading on a Lyman All American turret press in 1956. I started reloading so I could shoot more. it took about 15 years and I realized that I was shooting more so I could reload more. I still reload so I can shoot so I can reload!!!!

308Jeff
04-30-2017, 10:12 PM
Excel spreadsheet

Indeed. Helps you remember stuff.

Snipette

psweigle
04-30-2017, 10:20 PM
Post-it notes. And lots more shooting!!!!! LOTS more!

tazman
04-30-2017, 10:42 PM
I have a similar issue/problem/obsession. I have determined that the only solution I can achieve is to stop loading for the ones I have too much ammunition for(is that even possible?) until I get the excess shot up. Also to schedule trips to the range so I can shoot up the excess.
I suspect I may never need to load 9mm or 38 special ever again. I am going to try to make it necessary though.

LUBEDUDE
05-01-2017, 01:33 AM
Welcome to the addiction!

I am of the firm belief that you can never have to many reloading components and lead ingots, presses, dies, powder measures, tools, ................

Shawlerbrook
05-01-2017, 04:21 AM
I agree that you are much better off than the other extreme alternative. Times are good for us, but just remember 8 years ago. Spreadsheets, loose leaf notebooks or post-it's, all are good inventorying tools.

Sasquatch-1
05-01-2017, 05:52 AM
Figure out what you have and tie a tag on each gun to let you know how much ammo you have. Then just keep reloading for guns you don't have ammo for.

BNE
05-01-2017, 06:46 AM
I have started a 3 ring binder and keep separate pages for each caliber. Each line has a spot for Bullet weight, shape, lube used, powder, primer, OAL, etc. most importantly, I have a comment section.

Someday I want a computer in the garage, just for this purpose.

Dan Cash
05-01-2017, 07:55 AM
I keep a notebook inventory of components and loaded ammo. I got to discovering forgotten ammo stored away so now add a shelf location to the inventory sheet. Surely simplifies the process. I prefer paper and pencil as it is not susceptible to virus or electronic failure.

RogerDat
05-01-2017, 08:29 AM
I use a spreadsheet for components but have set containers or shelf space for different calibers. Label in ziplock baggie, dropped in the ammo box for that caliber for blasting & plinking. Certain area of the shelf for boxes of special loads. How heavy is the Plano ammo box(es) for that caliber, how much of that shelf is full. Index card of recipes by caliber or powder..... that I wish I kept up better, always forget to go back and record how it shot.

One thing to remember no one outside of family will shoot reloads you leave behind. Brass and components can be sold in estate sale but almost no one is going to use a pile of ammo you leave behind. Part of my will specifies who gets firearm and ammo that fits it goes with the firearm but I have 4 kids and 5 grandkids so that stuff will have a home. Was at estate sale tool shop and he had baggies of ammo that was just not worth buying for the components given the work to tear them down.

poacherjo
05-01-2017, 11:53 AM
Organization!! I lack the capability but I try to keep every caliber stacked separately and labeled. All my load data is written in a book and the small targets with the holes in them are also stored there to look at. Space is the problem for me I just keep accumulating more and more reloading equipment and components than I can keep organized. I have to clean and organize every few years so I don't misplace things. Cabinets and shelving are the best IMHO to store things. Trying to find load data for some of the old obsolete powders is my biggest problem. I don't need to go to evilbay and buy another old manual just for one load and searching the internet is time consuming.