PDA

View Full Version : Rebarreling a Marlin 1895?

Naphtali
04-30-2017, 02:35 PM
Moderator: If you feel this query will receive better response were it placed in different subforum, please move it.

About 15 years ago - has it really been that long ago? - Grizzly Custom Guns in Columbia Falls, Montana, created a matched pair of stainless steel 1895s for me. At the time I wanted one of the two to use the unfired Marlin 24-inch barrel I acquired from Dave Clements. The cost of swapping the OEM 18.5-inch for my 24-inch barrel was too much for my budget, so I disposed of the barrel. The deal-breaking cost was not swapping barrels. Rather, time involved to bring chamber and headspace to Lew's standard, then to "adjust" barrel threads to match those of receiver (or vice versa?). This was a case where the last ten percent in quality costs as much as the first 90 percent.

Now I'm considering having the less accurate of the pair rebarreled by Remington-Marlin, but I'm a little uneasy.
- Are current OEM 1895 barrels cut rifled as are mine?

- Will Marlin rebarrel? If they will, has anyone any idea of cost?

- Would I be better off, financially and for quality, to have a gunsmith use the Marlin barrel of his choice?

TXGunNut
04-30-2017, 07:25 PM
As a rule it's best not to send a custom rifle back to the manufacturer for repairs. They generally want to return it to factory specs if they will work on it at all. Are you re-barreling to change the chambering or to gain accuracy? If accuracy is what you're after have you tried to determine what's wrong with the current barrel?

Shawlerbrook
04-30-2017, 07:52 PM
Contact Ranger Point Precision in Texas! These guys are top notch levergunsmiths.

Paul_R
05-01-2017, 07:54 AM
http://www.leveractions.com

https://mcgowenbarrel.com/home-page-13/

junkpile
05-02-2017, 07:54 PM
I would definitely not send it to Remington for anything. Also, may be worth having the barrel re-crowned first. Might solve all of your accuracy problems.

flint45
05-03-2017, 11:32 AM
Don't send in custom gun big headache. I would check out McGowen I am going to check into that also.

RG1911
05-03-2017, 01:42 PM
I, too, would like to rebarrel my 1895 .45-70 because its microgroove barrel slugs to .4595, which is not conducive to accuracy. Regrettably, by the time it was chambered, installed, etc, the cost would be nearing $1000. I asked one business that specializes in relining barrels if it was something that could be done with the Marlin, but never even received a response. And I suspect the barrel is too thin to safely drill out and line.

Richard

Harter66
05-03-2017, 02:43 PM
I know a top notch smith . He would probably do it with a new bbl even of your supply . He might even be able to fix the problem in the current setup​ .

osteodoc08
05-12-2017, 12:53 PM
I, too, would like to rebarrel my 1895 .45-70 because its microgroove barrel slugs to .4595, which is not conducive to accuracy. Regrettably, by the time it was chambered, installed, etc, the cost would be nearing $1000. I asked one business that specializes in relining barrels if it was something that could be done with the Marlin, but never even received a response. And I suspect the barrel is too thin to safely drill out and line.

Richard

Have you tried sizing to .461 or beagleing a mold if need be?

flint45
05-12-2017, 01:32 PM
Yea I shoot two over in my micro groove and it shoots great.

bikerbeans
05-12-2017, 03:33 PM
A Remlin 1895 barrel will thread into a Marlin JM receiver but may or may not index properly. I have one LG that has a Remlin GG barrel shortened and threaded for a can. The Remlin barrel has one less turn of thread than a JM barrel. According to a couple of chamber reamers, the steel in the Remlin barrel is softer than the JM barrel. Per a former Marlin employee excess headspace was adjusted by installing different width locking bolt in the frame. Negative headspace is cured with a reamer.

BB

Texas by God
05-13-2017, 08:40 AM
As posted previously, McGowan can fix you up. I could be wrong, and often am, but I believe they barreled the first 7mm STE for Layne Simpson.
Best, Thomas.

RG1911
05-13-2017, 03:28 PM
Have you tried sizing to .461 or beagleing a mold if need be?

Just got some unsized CBs from Jon_B that are running .461-.462. I'll assemble a dummy round to make sure the cartridge isn't too fat to chamber. If it works, I'll hand-lube some and see how they group.

Cheers,
Richard

RG1911
05-13-2017, 03:29 PM
As posted previously, McGowan can fix you up. I could be wrong, and often am, but I believe they barreled the first 7mm STE for Layne Simpson.
Best, Thomas.

Thank you. I'll ask McGowan.

Cheers,
Richard