PDA

View Full Version : For thought and meditation

rl69
04-30-2017, 07:14 AM
Rebuilding the Walls

God chose Nehemiah to do a great work in leading the charge to rebuild the walls of Jerusalem. This was a monumental task since Jerusalem had laid in ruins since the Babylonians destroyed the city and taken the Jews into exile. When Nehemiah had learned of the condition of Jerusalem, he was overcome with grief and a tremendous desire to rebuild the walls.

However, when it was time to get down to business, he was approached by two men who wanted to distract him from the job at hand. Nehemiah 6:2-4 says that Sanballat and Geshem sent unto me, saying, Come, let us meet together in some one of the villages in the plain of Ono. But they thought to do me mischief. 3 And I sent messengers unto them, saying, I am doing a great work, so that I cannot come down: why should the work cease, whilst I leave it, and come down to you? 4 Yet they sent unto me four times after this sort; and I answered them after the same manner.

Nehemiah was doing a great work commissioned by God. He would not be distracted by those who wanted to do him harm or hinder the work of God. Well if the walls of Jerusalem were such a great work, how about the church of Jesus Christ? God has commissioned each of us to be involved in the work of building up His church. Yet we are often preoccupied with the things of this world. Let's examine ourselves this morning and remind each other of what is really important. When the world and the devil sends distractions our way in order to do us harm, let's be faithful to remember we are doing a great work for the glory of God!

Boaz
04-30-2017, 07:31 AM
Good lesson . Satan will put all the stumbling blocks in your path he can . To have your focus on what GOD would have done must be taken first in priority . Easy to say and sometime hard to do but trying is the key . Thank you rl69 , should be a daily lesson .

USMC87
04-30-2017, 07:33 AM
Much needed lesson, Amen.

square butte
04-30-2017, 07:37 AM
Thank you for the lesson this morning rl69 - So many distractions in life - Many I am sure placed by satan

buckwheatpaul
04-30-2017, 07:45 AM
Thank you rl69 for this lesson. I know it is sooo easy to get distracted from the task of putting Jesus on your heart first. We are all guilty of getting distracted and it takes lessons like this to help us stay the course. Paul

Blackwater
04-30-2017, 04:57 PM
One of our greatest human weaknesses, and one that Satan often exploits to HIS advantage rather than ours, is simply the ease with which we can usually, or often, be distracted from where the Lord advised us to keep our focus. It's SO easy to err when we just turn our eyes and attention from Christ and our duties here! If any of us here have never done that, all I can say is they're a LOT more dilligent and "bullet proof" than I am!!! And anyone else I've ever seen enough to have had a chance to evaluate them to any significant degree, to boot!

The older I get, and the more I understand, the more grateful I become for the simple fact of redemption on a continuing basis! When we err, it's not the end, but the beginning of our edification, and if we repent well, it brings us closer to Christ, and keeps us very humble. It all truly DOES work to the good for those who love the Lord!