PDA

View Full Version : Smokers

Boz330
04-29-2017, 12:44 PM
I would like a suggestion on a reasonably priced smoker ($500-). I bought a Masterbuilt 30" from Cabela's after using a borrowed one to smoke some deer summer sausage. It worked maybe a dozen times before the digital unit went south. I bought a new digital unit and it worked once before it went south. I can't express this too much "DO NOT BUY A MASTERBUILT ANYTHING", unless you just feel like putting a match to a couple $100 bills.
The other Cabela's smokers that feed the hockey puck type wood get a lot of bad reviews for not maintaining heat. Just looking for something that works when I need it to. I know the higher the price the better the quality but an LP will do the job but you have to watch it. I want, hit the button and forget till I get ready to eat. I can do it manually but then that ties up a night and a day.
A pig pulling for a party but for a small party that is way too much work.

Bob

44man
04-29-2017, 01:00 PM
I have a Masterbuilt that works fine except for cold smoke with fish or bacon. Turn heat down and the wood does not get hot. I can not cold smoke with it. It is only good to cook and smoke.

jcren
04-29-2017, 01:18 PM
Have you tried the new vertical barrel type charcoal? They are made to only allow enough air in for the coals to burn very slowly at a given temp. They recommend leaving it alone after it is loaded to prevent flare-ups.
pitbarrelcooker.com

DerekP Houston
04-29-2017, 01:24 PM
shrug I gave up on all those fancy pits, mine is cinder blocks and mortar works like a champ. I've known some guys that swear by Masterbuilt....but I've tasted their bbq and it's nothing to write home about. Most of the tech guys in the office love automating stuff like this.

sawinredneck
04-29-2017, 01:37 PM
I bought a Brinkmann Trailmaster LE, $300 at HD, and after many modifications it's working pretty well. I think my next one will be a Green Mountain pellet smoker with the wifi option, you can catch them on sale for around $700 at Walton's, which is local to me.
My dad has the Masterbuilt propane and pit temps swing all over the place! A buddy has a Masterbuilt electric and really likes it, not sure what mods he's done, but he's been using it three years now.
If you want to cold smoke get an AMNPS unit, just put pellets in it and they slowly burn adding flavor without heat. A lot of guys use them with pellet smokers for added smoke flavor.
Also check out the smoking meat forums, really nice people that will eagerly give you information overload lol!

Bob in St. Louis
04-29-2017, 02:22 PM
I know more about smoking than I do about reloading, so FINALLY... a thread I might be able to help "pay it back" for all the information I've sucked from this site about reloading. haha

But... asking "what kind of smoker should I get" is like asking "what kind of gun should I buy".
So before I start naming names, I've got some questions first.

#1 How many folks will you be cooking for? You and the wife? A family of eight? Large groups of friends for parties?
#2 How much space are you willing to consume? Footprint size?
#3 What kinds of foods will you be cooking? Meaning, will you be smoking pork tenderloin for 90 minutes, or will you be doing 15 hour briskets?
#4 Are you a "set it and forget it" guy? (ie: you want an oven?) or do you want to tinker with vents, adding fuel, and monitoring temps based on ambient temps and winds?

DLCTEX
04-29-2017, 03:17 PM
My Masterbilt 30" digital has been great for more than a year now. Sorry your's didn't last.

buckwheatpaul
04-29-2017, 04:17 PM
Ive got a Bradley basic and it works great! Holds temp well except during the coldest day....when Mrs. buckwheatpaul bought it for me I was converting from wood smoker and I do like the Bradley.....

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-29-2017, 04:49 PM
30 years ago, I bought a New Braunfels Smoker without the side fire box. It looks exactly like the one below in the photo, but without the side firebox. It's made of pretty thick steel, at least 3/16" thick. I've replaced the fire/coal grates twice, I've replaced the inner heat shields once. I'm still using the original porcelain coated food grates. My smoker sits outside, all the time, winter and summer. I do brush the snow off of it in the winter and use it. The New Braunfels Smoker company was bought out by charbroil about 20 years and I guess they closed up the shop? Charbroil has made similar smokers, but are JUNK.

My recommendation is to watch craigslist for one like this, probably can pick it up for less than $100, then and buy some new grates and clean it up, and you'll be ready to go.

photo not mine, image borrowed from Google images.
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w207/taterdavid/mdsmoke002.jpg

dragon813gt
04-29-2017, 05:10 PM
I have the cheap Brinkman "Bullet". I was concerned about it being electric at first. Now I wouldn't have it any other way. Plug it in, feed it wood every 60-90 minutes and that's it. Big enough to smoke a turkey but if you need a high volume you want something else. I do control it w/ a PID but I already had one for my lead pot. In reality it works just fine w/out it. Temps get a little higher than you want but the end product is still delicious.

TexasGrunt
04-29-2017, 05:49 PM
I love my Rec Tec smoker/grill.

Hogtamer
04-29-2017, 06:07 PM
Boz, you or a buddy has the cutting and welding skills to make a redneck brinkman like I did 30 yrs ago...find an old watwr pressure tank, 30 or 50 gal. Cut out the concave bottom. Inverted and sitting on 3 legs that you will weld on to the inside bottom and that is your coal pan. Cut the top 1/4 of the tank off now and cut 3" vertical slits about every 4" around the circumference of both pieces. For the top section bend the sections out slightly, for the base bend them in slightly (a pipe wrench will do this) so the top fits snugly down on the base. Weld a handle on the top section to lift. So you've got the base on 3 legs with the inverted bottom sitting atop that for coals. Now weld 2 sets of 3 L shaped brackets on the inside like the legs. The lower set hold your water pan with an expanded metal rack cut to fit rack on top of that, and the upper set holds another rack. Now cut a door the height of the top of the coal pan and weld it back using 2 hinges and a barrel bolt opposite the hinges so it will close. That way you can add coals for as long as you like. Then a hole appropriate for whatever thermometer you use in the dome lid. Paint the whole thing with high heat black. Would send pic but son is using it today in fact.

Da Bomb: half fill your water pan (I use a big SS bowl with apple cider. Put an seasoned venison ham on the lower rack and a boston butt on the upper rack. The butt bastes the lean venison while they cook for however long it takes. Or you can use it as a grill with no water pan and just the upper rack.

You can't rust it out or burn it out. Forgot to mention, cut a couple of small holes in bottom so it will draw and some ash will fall out. Yep, been about 30 yrs since I did this, replaced water pan a couple of time and on only 2nd set of racks. If it has a rubber or plastic coating on the inside may need to burn that out first... and yes, it's heavy.

jonp
04-29-2017, 07:31 PM
Friend of mine built one from an old fridge. When I was driving around id stop and grab him prunings from orchards. Apple, orange, grapefruit, peach, cherry etc. Worked great. One year he smoked my thanksgiving turkey and it was all my girlfriend and I could do to not stop and dive in before getting home

rockrat
04-29-2017, 07:43 PM
Don't know how much they are nowadays, but bought a "Cookshack" small smoker about 17 years ago, not a bit of trouble with it ever.

TXGunNut
04-30-2017, 08:59 PM
I'm on my second Masterbuilt, first one blew off the table when a storm came thru and it didn't land well. Second landed a bit better but now I use bungee cords to keep it on the table. I also keep a cover on it when not in use. I've had some awesome results, last night I left some "country style" ribs in there a bit too long so that's on me.

Silvercreek Farmer
04-30-2017, 09:18 PM
I use my Weber Kettle grill for everyday type cooking. With the coals on one side and the meat on the other, you can go several hours between charcoal/wood chunk top ups. Even with heavy use/abuse (I make my own lump charcoal in mine) they are good for 10+ years out in the weather. Not bad for a hundred bucks, give or take.

54bore
04-30-2017, 11:45 PM
I had a Masterbuilt 30" as well, it worked great for about a year and the heating element went out, mine happened to be an older model that required a whole new cabinet, i read a MOUNTAIN of bad reviews when i was looking for a replacement element, customer service seemed to get the worst complaints so I didn't even bother contacting them, i hauled it to garbage dump. I bought a nice well built looking Propane smoker but have yet to use it (can't remember the brand?) i made up my mind to go propane due to bad dealings with heating elements in more than one of the electric units

Lloyd Smale
05-01-2017, 07:02 AM
194450heres mine. Its a brinkman charcoal smoker that I put an gas burner in to burn chips and a smoke box made from sheet aluminum that has two electric burners in it to control temp. It can be used as a cold smoker or a hot smoker. Ive had a couple store bought smokers. One gas and one electric. Id steer clear of the gas models as there pretty tough to get temps down below 200 degrees. Fine for smoking a turkey or a pork butt but when doing things like jerky, summer sausage, snack sticks ect. you need to be able to get down to about 120 to start with. My electric one would do that.

cheese1566
05-01-2017, 08:30 AM
LG900 Lousiana Pellet Grill

i finally broke down and spent the money and have never looked back. It does everything I need, from slow smoke to high heat for wood fired pizzas and open wood flame for char broiling. Fill the hopper with the wood blend you want, turn it on, warm it up, set your temp, monitor it in the shade with a blue tooth heat probe to my iPhone-lawn chair-beer cooler.

I had almost every every style of weber charcoal/gas grill. I even made my own mini-weber smoky mountain version as well. I still have it, but use it for camping. Still have a NG Weber for grilling when I am lazy, but that's just for grilling or rotissiere stuff.

Rick N Bama
05-01-2017, 11:55 AM
I have a Masterbuilt that works fine except for cold smoke with fish or bacon. Turn heat down and the wood does not get hot. I can not cold smoke with it. It is only good to cook and smoke.

MB makes a cold smoker attachment. I can't say for myself how good it works, but I have read some good reviews.

https://www.amazon.com/Masterbuilt-20070112-Smoking-Digital-Smokers/dp/B008DF6WWE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1493654012&sr=8-1&keywords=masterbuilt+cold+smoker+attachment

Sur-shot
05-01-2017, 12:02 PM
Don't know how much they are nowadays, but bought a "Cookshack" small smoker about 17 years ago, not a bit of trouble with it ever.

I bought my Cookshack smokette at the Shot Show in Atlanta, if that tells you how long ago I got it. Well over 25 years ago and I guess I have sold about three dozen off my back deck to dinner guests at my house. You can call them in Ponca City , OK if I remember right, and just go to see a dealer. It is amazing how well they work and how long they last. My deck overlooks a salt water bayou by the way.
Ed

Electric88
05-01-2017, 12:11 PM
MB makes a cold smoker attachment. I can't say for myself how good it works, but I have read some good reviews.

https://www.amazon.com/Masterbuilt-20070112-Smoking-Digital-Smokers/dp/B008DF6WWE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1493654012&sr=8-1&keywords=masterbuilt+cold+smoker+attachment

I've got that unit for my electric Masterbuilt. The smoker (and attachment) have been going strong for about 3 years now. Anymore, I use the attachment to make smoke instead of the little tray in the smoker. I haven't done a ton of cold smoking, but some salmon I did last year turned out great. I fully recommend the attachment. I'm also using a wireless dual probe thermometer I picked up on fleabay. I'm pretty satisfied with my set-up. Maybe when I have more time to dedicate to it, I'll go hardcore and do charcoal. For now, electric works perfectly well for me.

Plate plinker
05-01-2017, 07:21 PM
Dad told me up in Canuckistan the locals cold smoke fish and do it with a very long section of horizontal pipe so the smoke gets cold before it hits the smoking chamber.

MaryB
05-01-2017, 07:58 PM
Weber Smokey Mountain, Traeger, 55 gallon food grade barrel, some weber racks and make an ugly drum smoker... need more info...

RU shooter
05-01-2017, 09:53 PM
For the simplicity and easy of use I love my little brinkman smoke n grill just plug it in and go , made a 6x8x2 SS box with lid to put my wood chunks in a small piece of rough cut hard wood will last 60-90 min maintains temp pretty well . Don't do high volume cooking so it works well for me , like I stated plug it in and that's it no controls or vents just add meat and wood when and if you need more .

Beagle333
05-01-2017, 10:21 PM
I've had a Big Green Egg for about 11 years and I like it.
I've been through many others and this one just suits my needs. I don't really know what could wear out about it, so it'll probably last me a lifetime. The hinge springs and all metal hardware still look like new, even though it's just out under a 12x18 tin shed with no walls.
I don't know if it's in your price range...... it was a gift, so I'm not sure of the actual price.

MaryB
05-02-2017, 11:47 PM
The large egg is wayyyy over $500! They sure are sweet though for a charcoal cooker. Can smoke at 225 or grill at 800...

smokeywolf
05-03-2017, 12:42 AM
I don't think you can buy anything that is going to last and give predictable results for less than about $800. Traeger pellet smoker is $800 at Costco and is about as "set it and forget it" as you can get.
I enjoy babysitting the smoker and use an "offset smoker". Been smoking meats and vegetables for about 10 years. My pork shoulders, ribs, tri-tips and briskets are proof that I take it pretty serious. I think my next smoker will end up being one of these...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iB0pFb_Hb1Y

TexasGrunt
05-03-2017, 08:41 AM
As a former Traeger owner all I can say is buy a Rec-Tec. Much better grill with a better electronics package.

John Allen
05-03-2017, 10:21 AM
I have the same one that Jon B has. It works great as long as your outside temp's don't drop to low (aka smoking in 20 degree temps) I want to check out the yoder smokers they have really good reviews for pellet system smokers.

Hogtamer
05-03-2017, 02:49 PM
Wow, electronics and slow smoking.....what happens when the power goes out? Same thing as when the battery in my red dot dies...guess I'm officially an old codger.

sawinredneck
05-03-2017, 03:10 PM
Wow, electronics and slow smoking.....what happens when the power goes out? Same thing as when the battery in my red dot dies...guess I'm officially an old codger.
I'm still using a stick burner, but laugh all you want at electronics, they work! I have one of these,
http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_3054940_-1?gclid=CIjOoZu11NMCFQQIaQod4ZkKKg&kwid=productads-adid%5E105318780078-device%5Em-plaid%5E250389415278-sku%5E104201333-adType%5EPLA I can monitor pit temp and three foods at one time without cracking the lid and loosing pit temperature. I've smoked brisket, ribs and a pork butt at the same time, watching temps I knew when to add the faster cooking meats and where the others were at all at once. It also allows me to keep my pit within ten degrees of where I want it without much fuss.

frankenfab
05-03-2017, 03:18 PM
I'm still using a stick burner, but laugh all you want at electronics, they work! I have one of these,
http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_3054940_-1?gclid=CIjOoZu11NMCFQQIaQod4ZkKKg&kwid=productads-adid%5E105318780078-device%5Em-plaid%5E250389415278-sku%5E104201333-adType%5EPLA I can monitor pit temp and three foods at one time without cracking the lid and loosing pit temperature. I've smoked brisket, ribs and a pork butt at the same time, watching temps I knew when to add the faster cooking meats and where the others were at all at once. It also allows me to keep my pit within ten degrees of where I want it without much fuss.

I see the unit is $99 and comes with 2 probes. Do you know how much the extra probes are?

country gent
05-03-2017, 03:24 PM
We always repurposed the old refridgerators, steel school lockers and such for smokers when I was young. Though several of the older farm houses still had buildings for smoking. Now some are going back to smoking in a small brick building made especially for the purpose. Most are 6' or so tall and 4'X4' inside dimension with a roof and vents at the top. First grate up is the fire grate, second is for the moisture pan. then racks or hooks for meat on up. A solid door and its pretty open to load and unload.

DerekP Houston
05-03-2017, 03:32 PM
We always repurposed the old refridgerators, steel school lockers and such for smokers when I was young. Though several of the older farm houses still had buildings for smoking. Now some are going back to smoking in a small brick building made especially for the purpose. Most are 6' or so tall and 4'X4' inside dimension with a roof and vents at the top. First grate up is the fire grate, second is for the moisture pan. then racks or hooks for meat on up. A solid door and its pretty open to load and unload.

I'm still considering building a dedicated smoke room....would make fire management much easier with a larger volume of air to keep temps stable.

sawinredneck
05-03-2017, 03:33 PM
I see the unit is $99 and comes with 2 probes. Do you know how much the extra probes are?
Normally $25 each. You can get different probes, pit and food, then configure them as you choose.

smokeywolf
05-03-2017, 03:50 PM
Nothin' wrong with electronics, as long as the grill or smoker isn't dependent on electricity to cook your food.

Academy, which I think is in San Antonio, TX, also has a fairly nice (for the money) offset smoker called an "Old Country Brazos".

DerekP Houston
05-03-2017, 03:56 PM
Nothin' wrong with electronics, as long as the grill or smoker isn't dependent on electricity to cook your food.

Academy, which I think is in San Antonio, TX, also has a fairly nice (for the money) offset smoker called an "Old Country Brazos".

Those appear to be the "New Braunfels" smoker design from before they sold out to commercial interests. The material is thicker and the whole smoker feels much sturdier. I have my eye on one of them if I don't build a new one for the next house. It's hard to justify the price tag for these smokers right now, it's a fad thing in Houston and they are commanding a premium.

sawinredneck
05-03-2017, 04:08 PM
I like the build of those old countries as well. Not crazy about the firebox deflector or the grates they use, but that's nitpicking.
As for the electronics, after doing an 18hr smoke on a medium size brisket, just couldn't get it past the stall and I like a 208 IT on them, I can truely appreciate setting it, going to bed, have it cook then hold at a preset temp waiting for me!

country gent
05-03-2017, 04:13 PM
Ive been thinking about it for a couple years now. Instead of the converted barbeque grill I'm using now. They work best with only one set of hands controlling them. Even the size I described can hold a lot of meat if needed. Also in your smokers don't hesitate to try some vegtables, Squash, corn on the cob, tomato slices, and some others. We cut acorn squash in half clean seeds and fill hollows with hamburger. then cook smoke till squash and meat are done.

smokeywolf
05-03-2017, 06:39 PM
I like the build of those old countries as well. Not crazy about the firebox deflector or the grates they use, but that's nitpicking.
As for the electronics, after doing an 18hr smoke on a medium size brisket, just couldn't get it past the stall and I like a 208 IT on them, I can truely appreciate setting it, going to bed, have it cook then hold at a preset temp waiting for me!

About one hour into the stall, wrap the brisket in at least two layers of pink butcher paper, stick your temp probe back in, let your internal temp go to 203, then take it off and let rest for at least an hour.

I did a brisket a couple of weeks ago. By popular demand I'm doing another this weekend.

frankenfab
05-03-2017, 07:13 PM
About one hour into the stall, wrap the brisket in at least two layers of pink butcher paper, stick your temp probe back in, let your internal temp go to 203, then take it off and let rest for at least an hour.

I did a brisket a couple of weeks ago. By popular demand I'm doing another this weekend.

This.

I struggled with brisket, and got lucky a couple times. But I finally learned it is all about knowing the internal temp. Wrap at 165 and at 203, rest for 1 hour in some kind of insulated atmosphere. I don't have electronics yet, but I bought a high quality meat thermometer and can consistently make good brisket now.

sawinredneck
05-03-2017, 07:21 PM
I've done several briskets with no issue, that day it was 24deg, in January, for my sons B-day, ribs cooked fine but I ended up having to push the pit to 325deg to get that one over the hump.
I wrap with towel and let rest at least an hour in a cooler. I like 208 because I thinks it breaks down the collagen better and I can slice or pull it. Just a personal thing. Kinda like my ribs, I like them a bit chewy but my wife and son like fall off the bone. 175deg gives us a happy medium. There's thousands of ways to do it all, just have to find what works for you.

MaryB
05-03-2017, 08:32 PM
I miss my Klose offset but it was to big for cooking just for myself and a few friends(it was a trailer mounted catering pit). Nothing matches the flavor of an all wood fire.

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd248/maryalanab/bbqparty003.jpg

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd248/maryalanab/Tigger003.jpg

I don't think you can buy anything that is going to last and give predictable results for less than about $800. Traeger pellet smoker is $800 at Costco and is about as "set it and forget it" as you can get.
I enjoy babysitting the smoker and use an "offset smoker". Been smoking meats and vegetables for about 10 years. My pork shoulders, ribs, tri-tips and briskets are proof that I take it pretty serious. I think my next smoker will end up being one of these...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iB0pFb_Hb1Y

smokeywolf
05-03-2017, 09:16 PM
The pro from Minnesota just arrived. Listen to Mary.

I do use a little mesquite lump charcoal now and then, but charcoal is not for smoking anything. I keep at least 100 lbs. of oak, 50 lbs. of cherry, 50 lbs. of hickory, 50 lbs of apple and when I can get it some pecan.

I wish I could try post oak for my briskets, but the red oak, which I can get, does a mighty fine job. Usually throw in a few chunks of cherry too.

Bob in St. Louis
05-03-2017, 09:33 PM
Ahhh.. there are some true Pitmasters here.
Yes... Yessss...... Smell that smoke.
How many know about "TBS"?

smokeywolf
05-03-2017, 09:56 PM

Thin Blue Smoke. "Smoking" meats is a bit of a misnomer. You actually want to see very little smoke coming out of your stack or chimney and what you do see should be a thin whitish or bluish smoke. Wood should be either actively in flames or in coals. Smoldering wood produces a bitter smoke which leaves a somewhat bitter flavor in the meat.

sawinredneck
05-03-2017, 11:41 PM
"If it's smokin, your meats choking!" "If your lookin, your not cookin!"
Say what you will about charcoal, I built a basket, fill it halfway with Kingsford blue to get the party started, then add Western Oak lump and chunks and/or chips, depending on the smoke, as I go. I spent a LOT of time fighting with my Brinkmann's temps using solely Oak, Post, White, Red. I've got 80 acres in Eastern KS to cut on, I used to run firewood in a previous life.

David2011
05-04-2017, 01:30 AM
My first foray into smoking was with a Char Griller from Academy. IMO it was a fair grill and a poor smoker. They've made of thin metal with poorly fitting seams and doors with list of extra holes for other configurations of the basic components. Lots of good food came off of it as a grill but at a great cost of labor. Smoking was difficult because of the huge amount of uncontrolled airflow both in and out of the smoker. Maintaining a steady temperature was very difficult. If the wind picked up the internal temp soared and was hard to bring back down. Again, good food was cooked on it but only due to a high level of attention.

I bought a new (to me) house and the seller left a large but poorly built charcoal grill. A model airplane club buddy is a welder and has built a number of smokers for community groups so he had some ideas and experience. The basic grill was made of a 3 foot section of 20" well casing which is high grade steel about 1/4" thick. We added a fire box on the right end that would accept full size fireplace logs complete with a door with a tool box latch and a nice ash pan. Baffles were installed to diffuse the firebox flames and reduce the hot spot. He made an expanded grate 20"x35" with a nice frame. Two dinky 1-1/2" stacks were removed and plugged off and replaced by a 4-1/2" STACK with a rotating cover. A hand made all steel butterfly valve was installed to control the incoming air and therefore the entire smoker. Wheels were also added as the weight is at least 400 pounds now.

A a third buddy, an accomplished outdoor cook, warned me that there would be a bid learning curve going to the custom smoker. He was right. NOT!!! This smoker works exactly like my inexperienced mind said it should. Once the fire is going (always pecan logs) it needs to be checked on about every 45 minutes. It burns about one log per hour once the fire is going. Last Friday I had visitors so we cooked two pork butts. One was for slicing and the other for shredding. The one to be sliced came off after 6 hours @ 170 degrees internal temp and the one to shred was heated up to 205 degrees so it would pull apart. Fearing damaging the meat we chose to wrap it in foil and finish it in the oven at 350 for another hour. It shredded beautifully. SWMBO said it was the best pork she had tasted after living half Her life in Alabama and the rest in the New Orleans area so she knows food.

IMO the secrets are using large chunks of well seasoned wood with charcoal as the fire starter, keeping the exhaust wide open and regulate the heat solely with the intake butterfly. Watch the temperature closely and choose a good piece of meat as the subject of your efforts.

David

TexasGrunt
05-04-2017, 08:29 AM
Brisket is easy with my Rec Tec.

Fire up the grill. Set to 235°.

Apply rub.

Place brisket fat side down on grate.

Wait 10-14 hours depending on size of brisket.

Remove brisket, wrap in two layers of foil, wrap in thick blanket, place in cooler for an hour or so and enjoy.

Boz330
05-04-2017, 09:04 AM
Just now got back to this thread and appreciate the reply's. I use to pit BBQ whole pigs about twice a year for up to 175 people. I wanted an electric smoker for my wife and I and maybe a small gathering. Pork butt, turkey, brisket, or even chickens would be the main things cooked. I have a tough time justifying close to a $1000 for something I would use a dozen times a year. I have had Brinkman charcoal and LP cookers over the years and find them tough to maintain temperature properly.
It would be nice to figure out some way to make this Masterbuilt work directly instead needing the digital controller that doesn't work. The cabinet is fairly well built and adding wood chips is easy.
Here are a couple pictures of big party pits for multiple pigs. An old farmer in western KY taught me to do it this way. The fire is separate and nothing but coals go under the pig in the pit. This is really good but requires almost 24 hours of constant attendance and lots of beer. I don't cook for crowds like that anymore and it is a LOT of work. I had an old 275gallon fuel container converted to an oven with a wood stove next to it for heat and smoke but it didn't do as well as I expected and gave it away. The concrete blocks hold the heat much better. I used mostly oak slabs from local saw mills for cooking.

Bob

Bob in St. Louis
05-04-2017, 09:57 AM
Thin Blue Smoke. "Smoking" meats is a bit of a misnomer. You actually want to see very little smoke coming out of your stack or chimney and what you do see should be a thin whitish or bluish smoke. Wood should be either actively in flames or in coals. Smoldering wood produces a bitter smoke which leaves a somewhat bitter flavor in the meat.
You Sir, are definitely a pitmaster!

MaryB
05-05-2017, 12:09 AM
Look close in the pit pic I posted, what do you see coming out the door and stacks? :grin:

MaryB
05-05-2017, 12:13 AM
A pellet pit is nice, not quite as good as a log burner but with the right brand of pellets(I use Lumberjack) you get a decent smoke ring and flavor.

smokeywolf
05-05-2017, 12:55 AM
Look close in the pit pic I posted, what do you see coming out the door and stacks? :grin:

Why I referred to you as a pro. It really was a beautiful smoker. I almost wish I could justify a smoker of that size and caliber.

Lloyd Smale
05-05-2017, 06:01 AM
I like my smoker but my buddy from down state whos dad was a german sausage maker and made the best Da3333 smoke meats ive ever ate told me his father allways said if a smoker didn't have either dirt or wood walls it wasn't a true smoker. Ive though before about building a true smoke house but I just don't get the venison I did a couple years back and the one I have now does good enough for me. I do think that even my big smoker does a better job of smoking then the brinkman and smokey joe I had before. I can control the heat separately from the smoke and although it isn't a true cold smoker it can be used like that in a pinch. Also I can control the heat at temps as low as 90 degrees and as high as 350 degrees.

Bob in St. Louis
05-05-2017, 08:41 AM
You have no idea how envious I am of that cooker you've got!

MaryB
05-05-2017, 09:50 PM
Sold that one when I stopped catering, it was way to big for cooking for myself and a few friends. Have a Traeger now but want to get a patio sized offset wood burner.

In that picture I have 60 pounds of chuck roasts(cooks like pulled pork, shreds like it too), 40 pounds of pork butt, 4 full slabs of spare ribs, and a half size hotel pan of beans that I smoke cooked for 24 hours. That was my last big annual BBQ/reunion with old friends I rarely get to see anymore.

MaryB
05-05-2017, 09:52 PM
Red oak on beef is my all time favorite! Very sweet smelling smoke and it is a more refined flavor than hickory that can slap you in the face.

The pro from Minnesota just arrived. Listen to Mary.

I do use a little mesquite lump charcoal now and then, but charcoal is not for smoking anything. I keep at least 100 lbs. of oak, 50 lbs. of cherry, 50 lbs. of hickory, 50 lbs of apple and when I can get it some pecan.

I wish I could try post oak for my briskets, but the red oak, which I can get, does a mighty fine job. Usually throw in a few chunks of cherry too.

Bob in St. Louis
05-06-2017, 12:12 AM
Sold that one when I stopped catering, it was way to big for cooking for myself and a few friends. Have a Traeger now but want to get a patio sized offset wood burner.

In that picture I have 60 pounds of chuck roasts(cooks like pulled pork, shreds like it too), 40 pounds of pork butt, 4 full slabs of spare ribs, and a half size hotel pan of beans that I smoke cooked for 24 hours. That was my last big annual BBQ/reunion with old friends I rarely get to see anymore.
You definitely know your smoke then!
I have never owned, or used a 'pellet pooper', but thought that the Traeger would be my first choice. I almost bought one, but got a 22.5 WSM instead.
That being said, it seems like the owners of the "Rec Tec" and "Grilla Grills" are happier since they got rid of their Traeger and "moved on".
I'd love to hear some chat about the units from folks with experience.

TexasGrunt
05-06-2017, 08:13 AM
You definitely know your smoke then!
I have never owned, or used a 'pellet pooper', but thought that the Traeger would be my first choice. I almost bought one, but got a 22.5 WSM instead.
That being said, it seems like the owners of the "Rec Tec" and "Grilla Grills" are happier since they got rid of their Traeger and "moved on".
I'd love to hear some chat about the units from folks with experience.

What ya want to know? I had a Traeger for several years. Gave it to a buddy when I moved to Texas. Second day here I ordered my Rec-Tec.

Bob in St. Louis
05-06-2017, 11:30 AM
Nothing in particular, just curious of the thought of folks that have a pellet cooker. Building a stick burner is on my short term "bucket list", so I'm not in the market for a pellet unit. That being said, I am intrigued by them. I like the idea of "set and forget", but the lack of "romance" of stoking the fire with wood is drawing me the other way. If I were a richer man, I'd have a huge back patio with one of every kind of cooker there is!

TexasGrunt
05-06-2017, 12:06 PM
My biggest problem with my Traeger was if it went out it would not relight. Also even though I had the upgraded control panel it didn't seem to hold temp as well as my Rec-Tec does.

Another problem with the Traeger was if you were doing a long smoke the pellets in the hopper could and would tunnel and quit feeding pellets even though there were pellets in the hopper. With the Rec-Tec the sides of the hopper at are a better angle and it's never tunneled on me. My Rec-Tec holds 40 lbs of pellets, the Traeger held 20. The RT has a cool down feature that's really neat because it will burn out the pellets in the firebox and not allow ash to build up as bad.

I've had to call Rec-Tec twice about my grill. Both times on a weekend outside of normal business hours. Both times the phone was answered by the VP of the company who promptly took care of the problem.

The first problem was a stuck fan right after I got my unit. He told me to crawl under there and tap the blades with a screwdriver. Told me that fixes it 99% of the time but to make sure he'd send a new fan out first thing on Monday. He told me that if the screwdriver fixed the problem to just keep the other fan as a spare.

A couple years later the hot-rod went out. That's the item that ignites the pellets. Called, new rod on the way. I got the new rod and when trying to install it there was a Allen head bolt that the head broke off. Called them, got the VP again, he told me they had changed the design and gotten rid of the Allen head. He sent out a new hot-pot with a return label for the old one.

Mind you my Traeger was from when they were still built in Oregon and the build quality was a lot higher then. Still a solid grill but there's better turd burners out there at better prices. I noticed Walmart had some brand the other day that was under $250. I didn't bother to look at it but I'd guess it would work.

Bob in St. Louis
05-06-2017, 12:14 PM
"Turd burners" haha!!
That's a new one. I'm still giggling about that one.
Good information, thank you. I've come to realize that Traeger isn't everything I thought they were. Glad I didn't buy one.
The Rec Tec customer service sounds about like Webers does. They bend over backwards in every case I've heard. Never talked to the VP though, that's pretty cool.

PB234
05-06-2017, 06:01 PM
"Turd burners" haha!!
That's a new one. I'm still giggling about that one.
Good information, thank you. I've come to realize that Traeger isn't everything I thought they were. Glad I didn't buy one.
The Rec Tec customer service sounds about like Webers does. They bend over backwards in every case I've heard. Never talked to the VP though, that's pretty cool.

If one can afford these https://www.makgrills.com/ they are what I would suggest. I have inspected the Traeger and been disappointed buy their quality and used the Mak and been delighted by the quality. My understanding is Mak is now selling direct to customers over he web only. A Mak is completely able to produce BBQ equally as good as the best commercial BBQ if the cook has the skill. If one calls Mak to talk about it Bruce is the guy to speak to.

I agree with these https://www.makgrills.com/testimonials/ .

smokeywolf
05-06-2017, 06:28 PM
I'm wondering if the ideal pellet smoker might be a kamado type smoker (think Big Green Egg) with a pellet bin and auger feeding it.

Bob in St. Louis
05-06-2017, 07:34 PM
That's a good idea!
I'm thinking that it would take a considerable amount of time to get all that mass up to temp using pellets, but it would be great for long cooks, like overnight briskets.

On the other hand, I may have gotten carried away and taken the focus off the main goal of this thread, to find the OP a smoker.
If I have, I sincerely apologize. This is a topic I'm passionate about and made the thread my own. Sorry about that.
Bob

smokeywolf
05-06-2017, 10:45 PM
Kamado/pellet smoker already exists. Called a "Black Olive Smoker". Apparently has a problem with the pellet smoker burner fan blowing ashes up and onto the food.

OP is looking for a Traeger "set it and forget it" type and quality smoker for <$500.

MaryB
05-07-2017, 12:34 AM
I have one of the last batch of USA made Traegers,but I ordered mine with an aftermarket control panel that lets me control temps better(that is the problem with the original Traeger, algorithm in the controller sucks). But it just doesn't give the flavor a stick burner can give, and the smoke ring is never as deep as I could get burning oak logs.Only thing I have replaced on my Traeger in 8 years i the hot rod this spring. It is due for anew grease tray(mine is warped and rusting) and there is an aftermarket stainless one to replace the cold rolled steel that is original. Think the same company now has a flame deflector to let you do a couple steaks over a wood flame without the grease pan in place.

TexasGrunt
05-07-2017, 08:18 AM
I'd love a Mak. I had to settle for a Rec-Tec

snowwolfe
05-11-2017, 11:39 PM
Owned about 6 smokers in the last 40 years, including one of the Masterbuilts which was a total piece of .......... About 3 years ago I bought the last smoker I will ever need:
https://www.smokin-it.com/
Buy once cry once. 6 ounces of wood chips will give 5 hours of smoker. It is insulated and maintains a very stable even temperature.

PB234
05-13-2017, 11:06 AM
I recall seeing a Youtube video of how to set this up as a smoker. https://woodpelletproducts.com/product/portable-wood-pellet-grill/ . Made by a fellow named Tyson Traeger who takes pride in his US made product.

If money was overflowing this would be very nice to use: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag0sM8dIsHg

Bob in St. Louis
05-13-2017, 12:43 PM
I'm pretty sure Traegers are not made in the U.S.
I just checked their website for verification, and can't find where it says either way, which I would take as "not" made in the U.S.

D Crockett
05-13-2017, 01:25 PM
the best smoker you can get is one you make your self .I have made and sold a lot of smokers/grills over the last 14 years if you would like I will PM you with all the details on how to make one that will last you so fare mine is 14 years old. there is a trick to keeping your smoker in one piece / with out rusting the bottom out which most people do . the trick is simple KEEP THE OLD ASHES CLEANED OUT AFTER USE reason is water and ash makes a acid that will eat the bottom out of your smoker or grill. D Crockett

Bob in St. Louis
05-13-2017, 02:06 PM
Amen to that!
I've got an 80 gallon water heater I'm going to use as the cooker, and a 40 gallon I'll cut up and use as the firebox.
All I need is the time to do it.

zymguy
05-13-2017, 10:58 PM
the best smoker you can get is one you make your self .I have made and sold a lot of smokers/grills over the last 14 years if you would like I will PM you with all the details on how to make one that will last you so fare mine is 14 years old. there is a trick to keeping your smoker in one piece / with out rusting the bottom out which most people do . the trick is simple KEEP THE OLD ASHES CLEANED OUT AFTER USE reason is water and ash makes a acid that will eat the bottom out of your smoker or grill. D Crockett
Id be interested in any info

MaryB
05-13-2017, 10:58 PM
They were US made up until about 8-9 years ago...

I'm pretty sure Traegers are not made in the U.S.
I just checked their website for verification, and can't find where it says either way, which I would take as "not" made in the U.S.

Bob in St. Louis
05-13-2017, 11:01 PM
They were US made up until about 8-9 years ago...

That sounds correct based on what I've heard.
Since they went "cheap", the gauge of steel got thinner, various parts got cheaper (electronics).
So... if you can find an old U.S. made Traeger, you got something. A new one is just another piece of thin cheap junk from China.

Elkins45
05-14-2017, 04:49 PM
I ended up with my dad's electric Brinkman and it does OK except in very cold weather. I also have one of those simple Luhr Jensen Lirtle Chief cold smokers and I use it quite a bit. I smoke stuff then finish cook it on the regular gas grill or even inside in the oven. Seems to work fine.

MaryB
05-15-2017, 01:27 AM
Yup my Traeger was one of the last US made models. But I went to an aftermarket control panel that has better temp range and holds temps more even.

PB234
05-15-2017, 11:54 AM
Review this for another choice. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eo9RQ-AAK1U

Boz330
06-13-2017, 12:39 PM
Owned about 6 smokers in the last 40 years, including one of the Masterbuilts which was a total piece of .......... About 3 years ago I bought the last smoker I will ever need:
https://www.smokin-it.com/
Buy once cry once. 6 ounces of wood chips will give 5 hours of smoker. It is insulated and maintains a very stable even temperature.

Ordered a # 2 the other day, this should do exactly what I want. Thanks

Bob

DCP
06-14-2017, 08:15 PM
I have a BGE large it does a real nice job

Weber has the Summit Charcoal that looks real nice
https://www.wired.com/2016/09/review-weber-summit-charcoal-grill/

snowwolfe
06-23-2017, 10:17 AM
Ordered a # 2 the other day, this should do exactly what I want. Thanks

Bob

Bob,
Interested in hearing your opinion of the smoker after you used it. I absolutely love ours.

Kawgomoo
06-24-2017, 06:18 PM
The cuban style plywood box is the only way to roll..... {I'm for serious on this}

tallwalker
06-24-2017, 06:30 PM
The cuban style plywood box is the only way to roll..... {I'm for serious on this}

Interesting. Can you shed some light and details on how that works please? I've made wood "pig coffins" that sit on legs above ground before and kept the outsides wet, but they were mostly meant to be disposable (and were!).

MaryB
06-24-2017, 09:39 PM
The Cuban pig cooker is an oven basically... not a smoker...

sawinredneck
06-25-2017, 03:02 PM
The Cuban pig cooker is an oven basically... not a smoker...

Like this Mary?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000SVX85A/ref=asc_df_B000SVX85A5046745/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=395009&creativeASIN=B000SVX85A&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167155690034&hvpos=1o5&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4678131255510175850&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9024218&hvtargid=pla-370390670397

Bob in St. Louis
06-25-2017, 06:23 PM
Yip, that's the one bought by the masses now-a-days.
I wonder how much of a role the plywood has in the meats final flavor.

EDIT: A smoker has intake and exhaust ports to allow for flow of fresh air.
A smoker also contains combustion.The Cuban unit has neither of these traits.
In fact, the oven in your kitchen allows for more airflow than the Cuban one does.

tallwalker
06-25-2017, 07:30 PM
Thanks for answering that. I thought it was something new. Down here we call that a "cajun microwave" and we use cypress or oak to build them and stuff the cracks with wet spanish moss or sugar cane leaves. Wouldn't occur to me to use plywood though. The glue has gotta cause some issues I would think.

Bob in St. Louis
06-25-2017, 07:51 PM
Agreed. As a woodworker, I like to use scraps in my smoker, but plywood definitely does not go there. Granted, the glue is "internal", but still, you're heating it to a point where "things happen", and I'd rather not have that, ya know?
I use a high grade voidless Baltic birch plywood for some of my projects, and have thought about making end-grain cutting boards with the material.
Problem is, I can't get a solid answer from anyone if the glue is food grade. I'm concerned about this enough with putting a hot steak on the cutting board, I certainly won't be COOKING my food in a plywood box. Especially knowing that box isn't hardwood, and is most likely pine, and not voidless.