PDA

View Full Version : CCI large pistol primers

poacherjo
04-28-2017, 11:52 PM
I have a problem with these primers not fitting in the pocket about 5 per cent non fit. I took my primer pocket uniform tool and went through the brass and they still won't go in. It's got to be the OD of the primer not being consistent . I am using a dillon 550B to set the primers in 45 ACP. This batch of primers is 20 years old! Was there a problem with CCI that I don't know about?[smilie=b:

Der Gebirgsjager
04-29-2017, 12:07 AM
I use CCI almost exclusively and problems are rare. When I do have a primer that doesn't fit it's almost always the brass.

earlmck
04-29-2017, 01:37 AM
Always possible to have a batch where something went wrong but I have never heard of any particular year giving "fit" problems. I've been using CCI primers (not exclusively but they would be the majority of my primers) for close to 50 years and they have been remarkably consistent so far as I could tell.

rototerrier
04-29-2017, 05:34 AM
Maybe you have some military or crimped brass. Primers are so soft that they usually will crush in if the pocket is even close to size. Sounds like the brass is the issue.

TNsailorman
04-29-2017, 07:27 AM
You wouldn't be trying to load S&B brass would you? I quit using it because of undersized primer pockets. james

Lloyd Smale
04-29-2017, 07:57 AM
ive had problems like that with rem and wolf primers but never cci or fed.

alamogunr
04-29-2017, 08:44 AM
When I first started reloading, I bought a bunch of .45ACP brass that was described as military match brass. The brass came with inert primers. I don't know how they were made inert but they would not fire and I had to deprime each case. It was way old at that time and supposedly nickle plated. Long story short, the nickle plating was worn and the brass brittle. The primers were very hard to seat. I found out later that these particular cases had undersized primer pockets. None of the primers ever went off in seating and always fired. The biggest problem was necks splitting at first firing. The whole batch now resides in my scrap brass bucket.

Bookworm
04-29-2017, 08:45 AM
Back when I started reloading, in the 80's, CCI had a reputation for being slightly oversize. CCI strenuously denied the allegations.

I bought a bunch from a friend who was having the same trouble as you. He switched to another brand, and his problem went away.

I had no problem with them, I think I used them in 9mm range brass.

Perhaps your batch is older than you think ?

WJP
04-29-2017, 08:48 AM
Take a set of calipers to the primers and brass. I'd bet that it's the brass. I run across problematic brass time to time. I quit using S&B as well for the same reason.

TexasGrunt
04-29-2017, 08:54 AM
They're not small primer brass are they? There's getting to be more and more of that carp out there.

Bookworm
04-29-2017, 08:56 AM
....I took my primer pocket uniform tool and went through the brass and they still won't go in. It's got to be the OD of the primer not being consistent . .. This batch of primers is 20 years old! Was there a problem with CCI that I don't know about?[smilie=b:

It's not the brass, read the text. He uniformed the pockets.

It's the primers.

lotech
04-29-2017, 09:10 AM
I usually buy primers by the carton of 5,000. I've used all the American-made primers in all sizes since 1965, but more CCI than the others. Sometimes, slightly more or less effort is required to seat primers. Whether that can be attributed to primer dimensions, primer pocket dimensions, or a combination of both, I don't know. It's part of the process and I'm sure most long-time handloaders have experienced the same. I've never used foreign-made primers but would guess results would be similar.

poacherjo
04-29-2017, 10:16 AM
Good Read @Bookworm !! I am going to try and hand prime the rest. It seems more of a problem with the Federal brass. I didn't want to go through each piece and Mic it , I thought maybe others had the same problem. After I noticed the frequency of the nonfit I took out the uniforming tool and set the depth at.120 and I got quite a few shavings out of 250 cases. But after reaming them I thought it was fixed so it has to be a variance with the primers. I have 700 more of these old primers to use up. I ran 100 federal primers without any problem!!!!

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-29-2017, 10:34 AM
I've noticed CCI primers to be a tad difficult to insert, when others brands fit perfectly. I generally keep some CCI primers on the shelf, even though I don't regularly use them...when I stumble onto a batch of brass that seemingly have slightly enlarged primer pockets, CCI will tend to still fit nicely.

During the primer shortage, I bought some Herters (Japan made) primers that were a minimum of 45 years old. They are oversized for sure...I've used them a few times, enough to know they are mostly too large for appropriate sized primer pockets, but again, I'll save them for brass with problematic primer pockets. It's good to have options.

mdi
04-29-2017, 12:14 PM
For as many primers that are produced, the amount of failures/bad primers is infinitesimal, almost non-existent. I have been reloading for over 30 years (yeah, big deal :rolleyes:) and I can count the number of actually bad, for any reason, primers on one hand, the one with three fingers. Even including manufacturing tolerances, the only problems I ever had were with S&B cases which had no taper/break in the primer pocket mouth. I use a counter sink or a chamfer tool to remove primer crimps and after several thousand different make cases, no problems of any sort. IMO, using any "reforming" tool just add to the chance of screwing something up, and countersink, even if used by a tyro, will not damage primer pockets beyond use (one would have try to cut too much out of the pocket).

If I had this problem I would first get out my micrometers and measure (anytime there is a fit problem, with anything, measure!) I'd use pin gauges to verify primer pocket dimensions (or check a drill chart and find a drill that's the same size as the minimum dimension of the pocket ID, if it enters the pocket is too small).

Then I'd check the nut behind the handle to see if the problem was me...

Correction.; if the drill doesn't enter the pocket, it's prolly too small.

Corre

Char-Gar
04-29-2017, 02:33 PM
Take another look at those primers and make dead certain they are not Large Rifle Primers.

jsizemore
04-29-2017, 10:16 PM
CCI primers have been known to use thicker cup material. Less yield when trying to use them in tight primer pockets. Great to use when your hotroding though. I use them when loading 107's in my 6br to 3000fps.

David2011
04-29-2017, 11:58 PM
I recently used the last of my CCI primers in the green and black packaging and still have some in the tan and red packages. They have lasted a long time because they do not run well in my Dillon presses so I only use them when hand priming in small batches. The later CCIs seat very smoothly in the Dillons and any other seating method I've tried. I don't know what is different about the later ones but they seat better than Federal and as well as Remington or Winchester.

salpal48
05-03-2017, 07:30 PM
I Only use CCI. Flawless all the time

44magLeo
05-07-2017, 10:27 AM
My primer pocket uniformer only deepens pockets. It does not change pocket diameter. It could still be the brass.poacherjo says it's worse with Federal brass. I might suggest measuring a few of the Federal cases that are hard to prime. Leo

1_Ogre
05-08-2017, 08:55 AM
I have used CCI primers exclusively, never had a problem that wasn't "MY" fault. ALL of my brass goes through the Dillon Super Swager before the primer box is even opened. NEVER had a problem so far, and I've been loading since the 60's

Bookworm
05-10-2017, 05:40 PM
My primer pocket uniformer only deepens pockets. It does not change pocket diameter. It could still be the brass.poacherjo says it's worse with Federal brass. I might suggest measuring a few of the Federal cases that are hard to prime. Leo

I've noticed some of my Federal brass seems to have a sharper "shoulder" than some other brass, making it more difficult to start primers.
I use a primer pocket cutter that relieves the pocket shoulder, making it easier to start the primer. Same idea as flaring the case mouth to help start a boolit.

Perhaps I am wrong, but the OP did state that he used a pocket uniformer. I thought that all of them cut the pockets to a uniform size (hence the name....pocket uniformer).

Ken in Iowa
05-31-2017, 05:53 PM
You wouldn't be trying to load S&B brass would you? I quit using it because of undersized primer pockets. james

Due to tight pockets, ALL S & B brass goes in the scrap brass bin at my house.

Ken in Iowa
05-31-2017, 06:04 PM
I have a problem with these primers not fitting in the pocket about 5 per cent non fit. I took my primer pocket uniform tool and went through the brass and they still won't go in. It's got to be the OD of the primer not being consistent . I am using a dillon 550B to set the primers in 45 ACP. This batch of primers is 20 years old! Was there a problem with CCI that I don't know about?[smilie=b:

I just used up a small batch of large pistol primers from the same era. My RCBS hand priming tool did not survive. I sent the tool and the primer sleeves with lot numbers to RCBS for repair.

I have been having good results with Winchester WLP in the last several years. Primer trouble must go in cycles.

hermans
06-01-2017, 02:37 AM
S&B brass are notorious for having tight primer pockets, I have gone through all of mine with my primer pocket uniformer, and then beveled the entrance with my RCBS deburring tool. Then they work perfectly, even with CCI primers. I also have been using CCI LP primers for decades, no problems seating them in any other brass than S&B.
Make sure your 550's priming system is setup properly, being just slightly off can cause you all sorts of problems.

ioon44
06-01-2017, 07:53 AM
I treat S&B brass just like crimped brass and run it through my RCBS swagger, then it never is a problem.

I deprime all my brass before wet tumbling this really helps the 550 priming system to run with out any problems.

rototerrier
06-01-2017, 08:03 AM
Because I hand prime, 9/10 times I can just rotate the S&B brass until I hit a spot where the primer will seat. I've only had a few S&B's that refused to take a primer. If I were priming on the press I'd sort the S&B's out for sure. Big pain.

David2011
06-01-2017, 05:34 PM
I am using a dillon 550B to set the primers in 45 ACP. This batch of primers is 20 years old! Was there a problem with CCI that I don't know about?[smilie=b:

CCI primers that old are not the same as new ones. As I pointed out in a previous post the new ones (dark blue-black packaging) load easily in my 550 and 650. The old ones are very cantankerous in the Dillons but load OK in a single stage press.

RMII
06-02-2017, 02:40 PM
I use a variety of brands with no issue - except with a small primer .45 neaks in to the pile or cheap brass as mentioned before.

WJP
06-02-2017, 07:47 PM
CCI primers that old are not the same as new ones. As I pointed out in a previous post the new ones (dark blue-black packaging) load easily in my 550 and 650. The old ones are very cantankerous in the Dillons but load OK in a single stage press.

It's not the primers, it's the brass. I have old and new cci primers. It's the s&b brass that causes all my issues. Same issues with winchester and federal primers in s&b brass.

fredj338
06-02-2017, 08:06 PM
Good Read @Bookworm !! I am going to try and hand prime the rest. It seems more of a problem with the Federal brass. I didn't want to go through each piece and Mic it , I thought maybe others had the same problem. After I noticed the frequency of the nonfit I took out the uniforming tool and set the depth at.120 and I got quite a few shavings out of 250 cases. But after reaming them I thought it was fixed so it has to be a variance with the primers. I have 700 more of these old primers to use up. I ran 100 federal primers without any problem!!!!
As noted, the uniforming tool doesn't affect pocket dia but depth. Federal cases, do they say NT on them? There are small primer & large primer cases. Nothing wrong with the primers, it is likely you have the bastard small primed cases.

Mr Peabody
06-03-2017, 12:03 AM
The only times I've had problems with high primers in domestic brass it's been with CCI.

osteodoc08
06-03-2017, 12:20 AM
I use CCI almost exclusively and problems are rare. When I do have a primer that doesn't fit it's almost always the brass.

Same here

David2011
06-03-2017, 04:27 PM
It's not the primers, it's the brass. I have old and new cci primers. It's the s&b brass that causes all my issues. Same issues with winchester and federal primers in s&b brass.

Yep, it's pretty bad. I also saw Amerc mentioned and have to agree, it's worse than S&B.

I have two sets of primer pocket reamers (not uniformers), Lyman and Hornady. I can't tell that the Lyman does much but the Hornady is ground tool steel and does a great job. I highly recommend the Hornady to anyone with primer pocket issues. As they remove the crimp ring they also chamfer the primer pocket so primers enter smoothly.

ioon44
06-04-2017, 09:12 AM
I use the LE Wilson primer pocket reamer and it chamfer's the crimp ring of the primer pocket that have been crimped.
I use mostly WLP primers and have used CCI which did not run as smoothly as the WLP.

CraigOK
06-04-2017, 09:21 AM

Ditto. Is the problem with a particular headstamp?

kmrra
06-04-2017, 11:17 AM
I mostly use CCI but sometimes I have to buy Winchester primers and it seams like they are too soft , I never crush a CCI but I have a lot with Winchester.