PDA

View Full Version : Wanted....Percussion Lock and a Set Trigger

oldracer
04-28-2017, 08:34 PM
I have about gotten my last project finished up and seem to be starting a new one before I knew it. At out SBRGC "Table Top" sale this past Tuesday, one of my good friends was putting things out and just as I walked up (on purpose) he had waited on me I think, pulled out a very, very nice walnut stock that was about 60% carved out. The barrel channel is smooth as can be so must have been done by a router but no openings yet for lock or trigger. I said how much and he said what you got and I looked and had $4 left and he said fine!

So on the way out another member mentioned he had a fast twist barrel with false muzzle and bullet starter and breech plug (not installed yet) and he said it was about 12 years old and would make me a deal on it ($300). So I bought it and will pick it up shortly. The shooter he bought it from is a long time Scheutzen man and when making up a rifle only uses Douglas barrels so I hope that is what it is? We see a bit later so anyways I need a few parts, used is fine and I'd really like Ron Long parts if possible!!!!! Thanks guys (and ladies).

johnson1942
04-29-2017, 09:53 AM
douglass barrels are seriously good fast twist barrels. the 45 1/18 twist one i built shot holes in holes at any range.

scattershot
04-29-2017, 10:25 AM
I have a brand new Ketland percussion lock I could part with. If it's not too small and graceful for your project, shoot me a PM with your email adress for pics.

oldracer
04-29-2017, 09:26 PM
It appears I need what is called the L&R Scheutzen Lock as the front side of the lock plate is very low so it is used with a snail sort of nipple mount and not a powder barrel.
Thanks everyone

John Taylor
04-30-2017, 10:15 AM
I have a couple fast twist barrels with deep rifling, .450 bore and .465 groove. One is SS and tapered round the other is steel and tapered octagon. Both over 30" long. PM if interested.

oldracer
04-30-2017, 11:56 AM
Thanks for the reply John, but I have more than enough barrel for this next gun. I measured the twist rate using the very tight patch with a jag several times and came out with 1 in 16 or 1 in 18 twist so I think I will figure the 1 in 18 is probably correct. It seems to change slightly so it is possible the barrel is a gain twist rifled barrel so am working on finding a more accurate way to measure? I slugged the barrel and the rifling is 0.004 deep (forget the bore as my paper is downstairs) but has just a slight amount of choke close to the muzzle. So far I have about decided to go with a tang sight and front globe but may go with a scope?