PDA

View Full Version : Woodsman with King Sight

WineMan
07-15-2008, 05:54 PM
I picked up a series 1 Colt Woodsman Target model recently. It's serial number puts it into the 1934-1947 time frame and it does have wooden grips.

It had a strange rear sight that was missing the elevation screw. After some (a lot of) internet searching it appears to be a King Gunsight as the slide is relieved at the back and there is a channel going the entire length of the slide. I found the Patent document for this sight and it is a dead ringer for the one on my gun. It appears I am also missing the detent that bears on the elevation screw, the spring is there but no detent. There are a couple of pictures of modified guns on this site: http://www.colt22.com/jg/1/index.html that have the same sight: 1-7 and 1-11.

There does not seem to be much on line information on King Gunsight Company but it looks like they went out of business sometime in the 1950's???

The screw appears to be similar to a 6-40 thread but if anyone knows of a parts source it would be appreciated.

Thanks

Wineman

Pavogrande
07-16-2008, 02:43 AM
King Gunsights -- Duane W. King -- started 1913 in Denver, later moved to San Francisco, production ended in 1955 -- 555A Howard St SF calif.
There were apparently several sights made for the woodsman both front and rear.
perhaps you have the 161,162 or 163,164 "King Micrometered "click" adjusting windage and elevation rear sight" cost $5 plus $1 for widening the slot if needed. Or perhaps the #81 Hangun peep sight. Cost $2.50
From Stroebels Old Gunsights -- I would suspect the screw is 6-48 -- how long is it?
flat head, pan head or cheese head?

WineMan
07-17-2008, 10:12 PM
It is 3 5/8" long (the entire length of the slide) and the rear of the slide was cut away for the bottom of the sight. It has marks for elevation and windage. It is a square notch not a peep. It is ribbed on the top in the long direction and has a "parkerized" finish. The original Woodsman front sight is still there.

The front is held on with a #8 screw and tiny screw to hold the first one, and there is a slight step under the front mounting screw. I ordered some fillister head 6-48's x 1/4 with 0.200 head diameter from Numrich. Not the correct screw for click indexing but it should bring the sight down.

This sight has quite a bit of bend upward, there is almost 3/8 of an inch between the bottom of the sight and the relieved area on the slide (without the screw in place). Is this how it was made or has someone given it a bit of tough love? The detent for the elevation screw is gone but I am thinking a piece of brass rod could work, but since the new screw will be smooth it may not matter.

Thanks for the info.

Wineman

Pavogrande
07-18-2008, 02:04 AM
Unfortunately, stroebel has no photo or reference of what you describe for a pistol -- That exhausts my knowledge on the subject :-) He only shows pistol sights that fit into the rear dovetail.
There is a rifle sight that may be similar to your description, a leaf type but it does not appear to have a windage adjustment. It does have an insert that can be removed and reinstalled in four postions changing the size/shape of the notch. Text says all King sights are marked "king" and the model is hidden on the bottom side.
I just looked in an old pacific catalog, it also shows these sights -- Two screw mounting #8r, #9r and #51r --- if this sound like what you have I would be willing to copy the page for you. the quality is such that it should copy well -- Stroebel has poor quality graphics. -- gb

WineMan
07-18-2008, 08:11 PM
The only marking on the sight is the #2 and the same on the slot on the slide. It may be a copy or just resemble the King sights. I can find pictures of Woodsman with a similar sight from the side but none from the top. I will take some pics next week when I get my camera back.