PDA

View Full Version : Redding "Slide Prime" on a Redding Boss, I need suggestions

SARuger
04-28-2017, 08:43 AM
I have a Redding Boss press that I love and don't want to part with. I had the opportunity to try the Redding Slide Prime on a friends Big Boss and I really like that "on press" priming system, I want to make it work on my Boss.

I ordered the slide prime thinking I could make it work as is but there was no way. I have one mounting screw and its too high from the frame (the ram needs to rest on the frame for support) and with only one screw, it wasn't stable.

I'm thinking if I could find a machinist that understands the reloading process, they could modify my press to fit the slide prime.

And yes, I know I could just buy a Big Boss or Big Boss 2 and this primer system will fit, but that costs money. A big Boss is at least $160 and a Big Boss 2 is $190

Here are some pics. Those of you that can do machine work, tell me if you think it can be modified for a reasonable cost to work with this system.

The press I have to work with, a Redding Boss

The primer system, where it needs to be is no where near the one screw I have to work with. I think the frame will have to be cut down and a mounting plate added

I want the primer ram to rest on the press frame support, that's how it is on the Big Boss, and Big Boss 2

Do you all think this is possible, or should I just give up and buy another press. I really like this small "O" press for precision handgun (.44mag and .357mag) and I would like to use the prime on press feature of the Slide Prime.