PDA

View Full Version : What length barrel would you consider for self defense in 44 Magnum?

CDRGlock
04-27-2017, 11:39 PM
I'm just curious. I don't know if I'd ever carry a 44 Magnum for defense against 2 legged critters. But I'd like to hear some input and pics would be a bonus. I'm thinking 3-5" for a barrel.

Brand and models would be helpful, too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Bigslug
04-28-2017, 02:46 AM
4" S&W 629 in standard or Mountain Gun format, loaded with .44 Special level ammo.

Ruger's got a couple Redhawk options in those barrel lengths as well. They've got a 4.2" flavor that will shoot .45 Colts or ACP's with proprietary moon clips. That gets my vote. . .or more correctly "got" my vote.

Lloyd Smale
04-28-2017, 07:18 AM
ive carried 3 and 4 inch n frames and a 3.5 custom redhawk. Problem to me isn't consealing them its the weight. A fully loaded 44 mag is a tank to carry all day.

44man
04-28-2017, 09:09 AM
4" but weight is still there. One more thing, the .44 mag is not as good as the .357 or .44 special on BG's. It can have too much power and poke a hole. Forget Dirty Harry stuff. When Callahan shot live ammo, he used specials. BG's blown off their feet is a movie thing.
If I carried I would go .357 or .45 ACP. Maybe a .40. But a .45 Colt has to be included.
To see me with a .25, .380 or nine even though ammo is better--NOT.

str8wal
04-28-2017, 09:54 AM
Dirty Harry???

44man
04-28-2017, 10:07 AM
Dirty Harry???
WHAT? You did not watch movies? Clint Eastwood made the 29 the gun to have until you could not find one. Watch cowboy movies and you HAD to have a .45 Colt and watch Dirty Harry and you HAD to have a 29.

Larry Gibson
04-28-2017, 10:12 AM
As mentioned weight is the issue. A good stiff leather belt 1 3/4" + wide is best with a "pancake" style holster that holds the revolver tight so it doesn't flop/move around is what I've found to be best. My 4" Colt Anaconda is big and it is "heavy" yet carried as mentioned it isn't all that uncomfortable.

Larry Gibson

Dan Cash
04-28-2017, 11:18 AM
Against 2 legged vermin, Bigslug hits it if you want to carrry a .44. .44 Special will give more range and penetration but in my experience, a .45 ACP seems a better killer and a 1911 gets my vote. Hunting where big carnivores are the #1 hazzard, a 4 or 6 inch .41 or .44 loaded as hot as I can handle it (240 ball over 18 gr 2400 in the .44) is my choice.

44man
04-28-2017, 11:35 AM
Against 2 legged vermin, Bigslug hits it if you want to carrry a .44. .44 Special will give more range and penetration but in my experience, a .45 ACP seems a better killer and a 1911 gets my vote. Hunting where big carnivores are the #1 hazzard, a 4 or 6 inch .41 or .44 loaded as hot as I can handle it (240 ball over 18 gr 2400 in the .44) is my choice.
Yes animals are different. Anatomy is different. Shoot a man in the chest, get one lung so you better center to get the spine too. Shoot a deer and get both lungs but they still run. A heart shot deer can make over 100 yards.
It comes to where energy is placed. Or the CNS is hit. More police died when they had the .38.

ole 5 hole group
04-28-2017, 11:52 AM
More police died when they had the .38.

I doubt the caliber carried was the reason, if that statement is reliable. It has been reported in the past that some small firefights resulted in over 50 shots being fired from responding officers with no rounds striking the bad guy.;) Some days, nothing goes according to plan.

DougGuy
04-28-2017, 12:38 PM
With every conceivable combination of boolit/bullet and brass made available, I still do not know why we don't have a 44 ACP!

They made the 10mm and it was as dangerous for LEO use as any 44 mag ever was, so they made the 40 Short & Weak to compensate, there have been YEARS of arguments and ballistics tests and autopsies from shootings, on and on and on..

So a 210gr RF boolit or JHP leaving the muzzle of a 4" barrel at 950fps ought to be a great platform right? Brass to be 1.00" with a COA of 1.250" should feed like a dream right? Can use 45 ACP magazines interchangeably, pressure no greater than 19,500psi what's not to like about this?

Thumbcocker
04-28-2017, 01:18 PM
Isn't that what Elmer and Skeeter had in mind for the .41 mag. police load Doug?

DougGuy
04-28-2017, 01:46 PM
Isn't that what Elmer and Skeeter had in mind for the .41 mag. police load Doug?

Yeah but I'm talking an autoloader..

Lloyd Smale
04-28-2017, 02:13 PM
I don't know if I totally agree that to much power is a bad thing. If I'm only going to get a chance to poke one hole in a bg id rather it be a 180hp out of a 44mag then a 180 grain hp out of a 45acp at 500 fps less. My big complaint with a 44mag or is its uncomfortable to carry. Harder to conceal and recoil and muzzle blast are intense enough to prevent a fast second shot if needed and like you said the movie scenes of people getting blow off there feet are just that movie scenes. that and most people can get two good accurate shots off with something mild like a 9mm as quick as one inaccurate shot with a 44mag. I know good shooters who under field conditions can hit the vitals of a deer at 50 yards with a 44 mag. Now put someone out there in front of them that can shoot back, amp up the stress and then tell them to put two quick shots on a target at 10 yards with there 44 and they might as well throw rocks. Especially with the second shot. The 44 mag is a hunting round. that's what it was designed for. Its not a self defense round. If its all you have by all means pack it. But I don't know of to many that own a 4 inch 44mag that have it as an only handgun. The arguments about ideal calibers for defense always seem to drag me in. Bottom line is theres little difference in effectiveness between a 38 special, 9, 40 357 45acp ect. when a capable shooter is using any of those choices and using loads designed for self defense. Now my 4 inch 500 linebaugh is definitely more powerful but in my opinion not as good of a self defense gun as a glock 43 and this guy isn't going to pack it on a day to day basis..
4" but weight is still there. One more thing, the .44 mag is not as good as the .357 or .44 special on BG's. It can have too much power and poke a hole. Forget Dirty Harry stuff. When Callahan shot live ammo, he used specials. BG's blown off their feet is a movie thing.
If I carried I would go .357 or .45 ACP. Maybe a .40. But a .45 Colt has to be included.
To see me with a .25, .380 or nine even though ammo is better--NOT.

dverna
04-28-2017, 02:55 PM
I never understood why the .40 was called "short and weak". The problem with many of the "better" calibers has been recoil and muzzle blast, and as Doug, pointed out, being revolver cartridges. The autoloader has many attractions as a carry gun....easier to carry, shot capacity and faster reloads.

The .40 seems like a decent round when paired with good bullets but I find Doug's suggestion intriguing. A 44 Spl autoloader. The issue would be brass. Unless it was adopted by the LEO community, the cost of brass would be unattractive as there is no rimless parent case.

Sorry for the thread drift.

Thumbcocker
04-28-2017, 03:08 PM
.44 auto mag was based on .30-06 head IIRC

Silver Jack Hammer
04-28-2017, 03:23 PM
The scrapes I've been in with 2 legged critters had me wishing I'd had my SBH in every situation instead of what I had. Problem is the SBH isn't carried. Nowadays I do carry my SBH in a case designed for computers and no one notices. It's heavy even in a case. Still the SBH is a great gun for SD. Full factory loads are not necessary in SD, but the venerable.44 mags can be loaded down to the users choice of warmth for the task at hand.

Even the short barrelled Rugers are heavy for carry. I'm not a DA man but what about the Smith 69? I've heard it doesn't like cast boolits, but is smaller than an N frame, lighter that a Ruger SA and stainless. I often wear a handgun close to the skin which is hard on the finish in sweaty weather. How about a downloaded Model 69?

Ive been looking for grips for an N frame that provide an arch at the top of the blackstrap.

44man
04-28-2017, 03:24 PM
Yes, the right bullet from any gun will work, darn even a .380. But bullets must be different then for hunting. My .500 JRH will turn a BG to mush but will ruin my house and a car in the drive. The .41 was made for BG shooting but most could not control it and bullets were not made for hunting so I never bought one since the .44 was better for deer.
Cops are not known for good hits. So you need many rounds to spray. What about those behind? Where do missed shots go. Or a pass through?

Silver Jack Hammer
04-28-2017, 03:49 PM
In law enforcement we have the often mentioned problem of over penitration however we lack the actual examples of over penitration. What we have time after time is failure due to lack of penitration. The full house .44 mag is too much, the .380 is not enough.

Three-Fifty-Seven
04-28-2017, 04:17 PM
Mmmmmmm

Moonie
04-28-2017, 05:14 PM
My son has a Taurus Tracker 5 shot 44 Magnum with a 2 1/2" barrel. It's not something I'd carry but it is certainly a good candidate to do so with.

RogerDat
04-28-2017, 05:51 PM
I think the .357 mag is as big and bad as I would feel the need for. I suppose BG fire fight is a possibility but more likely to be a brief exchange with withdrawal on both sides of anyone still standing or draw and shoot. I'm thinking that round will take the frisky out of most people just fine, and at a lower weight to carry, and less cost for practice rounds might just up the odds of putting that first hole where it does the most good.

I'm no kind of authority but I think the Ruger 101's are a good choice. If you really need 15 shots you need to find a bar with a bit more mellow in the clientele. Not that I think folks who decide a moderate sized auto loader is for them, just doubtful of the need. After all don't BG's prefer unarmed victims? Not thinking they spend a lot of time assessing what they are getting shot with or shot at by.

Blackwater
04-28-2017, 07:32 PM
In a .44, I wouldn't consider anything shorter than 4". I already have tinnitus, and don't want ANY more of it than I already have. The .44's cylinder is so large that shorter barrels don't really enhance concealability, so there's really nothing to gain in a shorter barrel. The larger and more bulky the gun, the less is gained from the snubbie barrels. And from a holster, the 4" is plenty fast enough from a properly designed SD holster. Just nothing to be gained from going shorter than 4", really. Blast increases geometrically as you shorten the barrel, and most particularly if you carry full mag. loads. I'd opt for something milder for the sake of faster follow up shots. You never know when they'll come in a small group these days, and that might make quick followups really, really important. Just MHO, of course.

str8wal
04-28-2017, 11:10 PM
WHAT? You did not watch movies? Clint Eastwood made the 29 the gun to have until you could not find one. Watch cowboy movies and you HAD to have a .45 Colt and watch Dirty Harry and you HAD to have a 29.

I am familiar with the movies. Was just wondering why someone would want a 44 magnum for real life SD. Too long to recover for follow up shots and far more power than needed for 2 legged critters.

tygar
04-28-2017, 11:36 PM
I carry a 325PD .45acp & it is about what a LW Colt Officers weighs. S&W also makes a LW 44Mag that should be about the same weight & size. I don't find the PD uncomfortable or to heavy. I would definately consider the LW 44 for carry but would prefer 2.5-3" rather than 4 for carry.

As some have suggested, using 44 spl, should by fairly easy shooting. I have both a 3" Trail Boss & 4" 44 mags that I carry on the tractor & 4 wheeler & woods walking in regular Hunter holsters & find it easy carry, but not concealed, so different.

CHeatermk3
04-29-2017, 12:08 AM
If God forbid you ever need to fire in SD you can take it from me that the 25 in your pocked beats the 44 in your safe.

JHeath
04-29-2017, 01:15 AM
Choose a barrel long enough to install a wheel at the muzzle to help drag your .44 around without scratching it.

Lloyd Smale
04-29-2017, 07:12 AM
for giggles one day I shot a ppc comp in revolver class with my Alaskan 454. it was moon clipped so loading was easy. I used full power 454 loads and to say it made a racket was an understatement. there was 5 others on the line with me and they allowed them to reshoot there round. Couple said they could feel the concussion in the air and flinched every time it went off. One said a flame came out of the barrel about 10ft. Ended up shooting a 284 which is respectable. My normal average in the revolver class was 293/300 at the time. I still would have placed 6th in revolver expert class that day. So a big gun can be controlled. But I sure wouldn't want to cap it off indoors. If I didn't hit anything id surely make myself and anyone I was shooting at deaf for life! Was good for a laugh though and 5 years later guys still talk about it.
Ruger makes this Super Redhawk Alaskan in 44 mag 2.5" barrel ... I tried to ccw it IWB, it was Huge, and HEAVY, and quite a lot of muzzle blast too!

After six months, and 1000 rounds ... I went back to carrying my SP101 3 1/16" 357 Magnum ...

Ruger just recently came out with the GP 100 in 44 Special, if you don't need/want the Magnum ... 3" IIRC ...

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s220/ShawnTVT/Guns/Ruger%20Alaskan/New001.jpg (http://s153.photobucket.com/user/ShawnTVT/media/Guns/Ruger%20Alaskan/New001.jpg.html)

I ended up selling the above Alaskan

Petrol & Powder
04-29-2017, 07:50 AM
I'm going to toss in another vote for 44 Special over the 44 Magnum but with the caveat that it be a "Skeeter" type load. I think a 3" barrel would be a good compromise between size, weight and ease of carry. Maybe one of the new Ruger GP-100's in 44 Special? The other options would be one of the 3" S&W 624 (if you can find one) or one of the fixed sighted model 21 Thunder Ranch 4" revolvers (although I don't care for the decoration on the side plate).

The extra weight & bulk of a revolver capable of shooting magnum loads is not going to be welcome for a gun that is "carried a lot and shot a little". The "Skeeter" load pushes a 240-250 grain projectile 900-1000 fps, if that will not get the job done you better go home.

If it REALLY had to be a 44 mag, I would go with a 3" model 629 OR a 4" mountain gun, anything else would just be too much steel to drag around all day and even those are going to be a pain.

44man
04-29-2017, 10:40 AM
When young I carried my 7-1/2" flat top all over Ohio in a hip holster, fishing, varmint and small game hunting. I was never without it. But in Cleveland or other places I lived you did not open carry. Only in the field. You can't hide that monster! Back then concealed was still not allowed either.
Game laws were lax except for deer and we could not hunt deer with a revolver. In PA just buy a pistol permit with the license. But not carry in archery season when big black bears were everywhere. Of course it was buck only and to see one you need the Kepler telescope.
I never had a need to carry for SD. But if I did I would not choose a .44 mag. I am used to big guns and longer barrels but they do not fit carry. You can make a .44 mag into a BG gun but it is still large and heavy. At my age I hate heavy boots. I wore my packs last season in bad weather and told my friend I just lift my leg and the boots swing my leg. :D
A .44 special on a .357 frame would be nice, lighter then a .357 too.
You don't need the same for BD's that you need for big game.
Watched TV where they searched for a killer and found him asleep under a tree. He was shot 400 times! I assume about 5000 shots all told. Most likely Thompson subs and BAR's. Talk about over kill!

Silver Jack Hammer
04-29-2017, 06:40 PM
2 legged BG's are usually holding an anti social thing in their hand(s) which presents us with a need to use a projectile that can deal with passing through arm(s), go through clothing, muscle, then travel distance often cross ways through the thoracic. And the market demands that the boolit must expand, and fit with another 14 or so in a package that can be carried comfortably and concealed.

I'd rather use a minimum of 200 gr. calibrated to something that begins with a "4" traveling over 830 fps.

CDRGlock
04-29-2017, 06:44 PM
Thanks for the great input. I just considered it because I do shoot it well, but it is a bulky bugger.

I went to the gun show today, and I handled a lot of 44 Magnums. I'll reserve it for hunting and protection against animals.

I'll stick to 45 ACP, 9 mm or 357 Magnum at the most.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

6pt-sika
04-29-2017, 10:50 PM
4" S&W 629 in standard .

That's my choice !

Rainier
04-30-2017, 01:15 AM
Good gravy! ��
I can’t load anything for the S&W 329PD that’s comfortable/fun to shoot but the thing at 25oz is comfortable to be carried all day, very accurate and make no mistake is a .44 magnum. It comes with a 4” barrel and will launch 240gr boolits/bullets at impressive velocities. With the 329PD and a couple of speed strips I sure don’t feel “under-gunned” against 2 or 4 legged predators.
Just my .02 cents worth - YMMV
Rainier

44man
04-30-2017, 09:39 AM
My first love is the .44 mag. I can make it work for anything but the PD can be pain at both ends.
Now I have shot all kinds of guns and even some .357's were harsh, even worse then a .44. The .41 Black hawk can put a hurt on you too. Big needs weight. Still, one shot is best if you hit. Never depend on a magazine full. False security.
I hunt with revolvers and put 5 in any one, never have a pocket full. You have one shot only. But we can now kill two deer on the same day so I need another shot. I do not do a reload. I had five and in days killed three deer with two left to put back in the box.
But you that carry all the time need a lighter gun, I understand. I should carry when I walk my little one because I see fox or a yote and never have a gun. But a revolver would not do it anyway, need a rifle because they run and are far.

pmer
04-30-2017, 10:57 AM

This thread got me interested in taking out my Ruger 44 Alaskan. I shot my moving target with 255 grain semi wad-cutters and also had the 1911 on the target too. It really makes you keep an eye on the front sight as its rolling down the hill.

Rainier
05-01-2017, 10:39 AM
My first love is the .44 mag. I can make it work for anything but the PD can be pain at both ends.
44man, if I may be so bold, the PD not only can be a pain at both ends it is a pain - a light sprinkling of about any powder is painful in that light of a gun. I truly haven't found a powder/bullet combo that is comfortable to shoot... yet - but the PD with its 4" barrel really can be carried all day very comfortably.
Big needs weight. Exactly! for an enjoyable .44 shooting experience I shoot my RedHawk. :-)

Shuz
05-01-2017, 10:40 AM
I love my 4" Smith 329PD for ease of carry in a Bianchi 5BHL holster with a 1-1/2 strong leather belt. I carry this all day when working around the place, and I hardly know it is there. I keep it stoked with Lyman's Devastator 429640HP and 16g of 2400.
The velocity of this load outta this gun is 994fps. While not a "barn burner", it is easy to manage recoil wise and will do anything I'll ever want it to. For those that want an even lighter load, try 7.1g of Trail Boss and an MP-432-640LHP @218g. velocity is only 774fps,but is real accurate.

Rainier
05-01-2017, 11:24 AM
For those that want an even lighter load, try 7.1g of Trail Boss... Brilliant! Great minds and all :-) I just found a pound of Trail Boss at my LGS and that is the plan - I also got a Lee 200gr mold. Now for the rain to stop so I can get some PC'd.

tygar
05-01-2017, 11:41 AM
As somebody said, m/l, carry often, shoot infrequently. These LW big bore carry guns are for "ease" of carry, not shooting.

You won't be feeling anything in your hand if your in a gun fight! If you hurt, use Spl loads.

I don't hurt & use PD power 230s in my 325PD .45. I even use the wooden grips rather than the rubber ones cause it carries smaller. In a gun like the LW 44mag, if it bothers you, practice with light spl loads, a lot, then put a couple cyl of what you carry at the end for familiarization with them.

I carry a number of different CCW guns, usually a 45, but sometimes a nine or 38 & even a 380 on occasion. But, everyone is a LW version of whatever. Just got the S&W .45 Shield. It's 28oz fully loaded. About the same as all the LW 45s & the LW 44. They all feel about the same so extrapolating to a 230ish 950', 44. It should not be excessive. I have the LW Taurus Tracker in .45 LC & with full power 45s, its not bad, especially with those rubber grips on the Taurus. I would not expect the S&W to be much different.

Guess I'll need to get one now, just to make a liar out of myself. I'll come crying back if it hurts!

But...!!! If you can't handle "whatever" gun, get one you can! A .22 you can hit with is better than anything you can't hit with!

Rainier
05-01-2017, 01:02 PM
I think we might be getting off into the weeds a bit. The OP asked the question about barrel length for a .44 for personal defense. I choose the 4" S&W 329PD to carry around when I want a big bore on my hip and I highly recommend it. It is light, easy to carry and a 4" barrel isn't that hard to conceal. Several previous posters advised that weight can be a concern so I mentioned the 329PD with the caveat that the recoil isn't pleasant and it isn't. With that said, I tried the 429421 with 6gr of W231 and found it still hurt my hand (YMMV) which is why I say I haven't yet found a comfortable load for practice. Doesn't mean I don't practice, just means it isn't any fun (to me at least) and shooting is posta to be fun.

Geezer in NH
05-09-2017, 04:44 PM
NONE, fantasy for people protection