PDA

View Full Version : 9mm dies question.

mozeppa
04-27-2017, 06:41 PM
i know that the 9mm CARBIDE dies have a carbide ring in it to do the case sizing.

BUT the 9mm case has a slight taper.

so.......

did the early all STEEL dies have the sizing die cut to match the cases taper?

seem to me if the early dies did in fact have a taper that matched the 9mm case...the early dies did a better job of more accurately re-sizing the the spent case.

is this a fact...or am i all wet?

mdi
04-27-2017, 07:43 PM
Can't confirm your info. but I've read that the older steel dies were tapered...

Bzcraig
04-27-2017, 09:32 PM
SAAMI shows the taper as .3910 just above the extractor groove and .3800 @ case mouth so I don't think the .011 difference is significant enough to cause concern.

noylj
04-28-2017, 05:41 AM
Steel dies were tapered.
Carbide dies have a much thicker ring to "simulate" the taper. This is reason that 9x19 is so often more difficult to size as the ring is usually a lot thicker. Also, leads to the often questioned "wasp waist"/"coke bottle" effect seen.
If you line up the sized cases, you will see they still have a taper, or at least the case mouth OD is less than the OD of the bottom web section of the case.

gwpercle
04-29-2017, 01:54 PM
Yes. My CH4D steel dies are tapered and do a neater job of sizing than the carbide sizer I bought.
It didn't take me long to realize that in 9 mm the old steel dies didn't leave that ugly ring on the case so I went back to the steel die , spray on some Lee case lube mixed with alcohol and resized cases look normal again.
Gary

n.h.schmidt
04-29-2017, 03:08 PM
My 9mm steel die has the taper. My old Pacific 9mm carbide also has the taper. The carbide part is a tapered cylinder that is the full length of the case. I don't see how a ring insert can even work for the 9mm case. My 30 carb carbide is the same way. A full length cylinder of carbide inside the die. In both cases at least some lube must be used or I have problems. Stuck case and sheared off rim will happen.
n.h.schmidt