PDA

View Full Version : Ultrasonic Cleaners

Bzcraig
04-25-2017, 11:17 PM
If you use them, what for and will you buy another when your current one expires?

farmerjim
04-26-2017, 07:19 AM
I have the Harbor Freight one. I bought it to clean scuba regulators. I tried it for cleaning brass with citric acid and dish soap. It does a fair job of cleaning the inside of the case and primer pockets.
I have used it to clean tens of thousands of cases. It does about 300 per load in about 15 minutes.
I rinse and then dry them in my convection oven set at 200. I run them through the tumbler for 10 minutes with walnut shells and Nu Finish.
If it breaks, I would probably get a new one.

hc18flyer
04-26-2017, 07:31 AM
I like mine. I deprime and run thru my Lyman, prior to the tumbler. My walnut media stays clean Forever! Mine also cleans the tiny fog nozzles at our business, works excellent for that purpose too. Yes, I would replace it. hc18flyer

KCSO
04-26-2017, 10:09 AM
I use them for cleaning difficult guns. EG the 97 Winchester is a bear to totally disassemble and they usually need it as they are crud in everywhere. 1/2 hour in the ultrasonic tank and the action and breech assembly come out without a speck of dirt. I would not be without one any more.

marlin39a
04-26-2017, 10:16 AM
I've got a Hornady and a Harbor Freight. Both work very well with citric acid and a touch of dawn. Rinse and dry in the Arizona sun. Then I polish in corn cob with Nu Finish. They come out looking factory new.

popper
04-26-2017, 10:23 AM
Rifle brass PP generally come out clean if you have 'uniformed' them the first time. I dry by setting cases in plastic pistol ammo holders I find at the range. 50/rack and set them outside in the sun. Good to clean BCG as well as brass. Larger HF one didn't work very well but the small Hornady has lasted 4yrs or so.

Harter66
04-26-2017, 10:46 AM
I used one several yrs ago to clean up a badly fouled 9mm bbl . I worked so well I used it for a Single Action cylinder . I've off and on looked for the ability to put a bbl'd action in one so I could just pull the wood and leave a rifle to soak in Hoppes with a 30 min cycle on both ends for new to me and whoops that didn't go according to plan .

standles
04-26-2017, 10:55 AM
I got one with intention of using to clean brass. Won't buy again as it is mediocre and still required polishing in media. I replaced it with a Stainless pin tumbler and it does a much better job with more capacity.

beezapilot
04-26-2017, 11:31 AM
I have a Sharpertek, I bought the "guncleaning" accessory package for it. I use the main tank for cleaning carburetors and have a fairly steady stream of business based on that- every spring lawn mowers won't start, every hurricane people can't start their generators. I have the "sweep" function and a heater that dies a superb job if things. The "Gun Cleaning" accessory is a polycarbonate tank that is filled with oil, it sets into the fluid in the main tank and the ultrasonic waves are transferred to the oil from the fluid. I only use it for REALLY gunked up stuff as it puts a fairly heavy coating of oil on (and in) everything. I've had moderate success with it "unsticking" leading.

I love the ability to clean carbs without major disassembly and it is kind to gaskets and "o" rings.

It did OK on brass.

I think I'd get another Sharpertek...probably a larger one... mine has a hard time with big 4 barreled automotive carbs.

SP5315
04-26-2017, 01:09 PM
I have one that I use for detail cleaning of mainly old handguns. I use it with carburetor dip cleaner. After they are striped and run through about a 30 minute cycle everything comes out spotless. On tupperware guns I use distilled water and get very good results. I've never tried using it for cleaning brass, I have a couple of large tumblers for that and I'm happy with their results.

RKJ
04-26-2017, 02:39 PM
I've got the Lyman(medium sized) and have used it for brass,jewelry and guns &a parts.
it roes a good job and when used with a tumbler and walnut media it makes brass look brand new. I would buy another for sure.

lightman
04-26-2017, 06:58 PM
I don't have one but I think it would be great at cleaning gun parts. Things like bolts and trigger groups.

MUSTANG
04-26-2017, 07:18 PM
I have used Harbor Freight 2.5 Liter Ultra Sonic for about 8 years, and it's still going strong.
http://www.harborfreight.com/25-liter-ultrasonic-cleaner-63256.html

I have run many, many thousands of Pistol and Rifle brass through it using a few drops of Dawn dish soap and some Lemi-Shine as cleaning agent. The Ultra-sonic is great at removing the dirt and crud from range pick ups; fairly good at removing powder fowling on the brass (provided you use the Heat Function with this unit). The brass does tarnish after cleaning in the ultrasonic and drying. A short run through a tumbler for a few minutes addresses this problem. Some will criticize tumbling after Ultrasonic cleaning; but I learned I spend a lot less in Corn Cob or Walnut media by doing an Ultrasonic clean first as it does not load the tumbling media with dirt and crud doing this.

Soundguy
04-26-2017, 07:22 PM
Mine were free. Deceased father in law was a watchmaker.

They are nice for cases that need cleaning but aren't needing heavy cleaning action.

Kevinakaq
04-26-2017, 07:27 PM
Cleaning gun parts... very effective with simple green on cosmaline coated parts when my latest C&R shows up. Would definitly buy another should the need arise.

z28z34man
04-26-2017, 07:58 PM
I have the harbor freight unit. I mainly use mine for cleaning carburetors​ and gun parts and yes I would replace it when it dies

funnyjim014
04-27-2017, 09:11 PM
OK so I know nothing about the sonic cleaners...was thinking of getting the HF one just for cleaning small stubborn parts. Can the 2.5L model handle mineral spirits type cleaners or can it only be water based?

6bg6ga
06-23-2017, 06:04 AM
After reading thru all the threads on ultrasonic cleaners I figured this one was about the best. Some knock ultrasonic cleaning in general based on the purchase of some brands of cleaners which may in fact be questionable. While ultrasonic cleaning isn't going to bring back the 100% new brass shine it certainly if worth both the time and effort. The best ultrasonic cleaning job I saw was from my brothers garage. He put some absolutely black looking brass into his $500 ultrasonic cleaner for ten minutes and they came out looking almost like new only missing that mirror shine one would expect from new brass. He then dried the brass and put it into his large Dillon tumbler with some Lyman brass polish and the result was brass looking like it just came out of the box from the manufacturer.

Personal opinion here.... A good ultrasonic clean requires some type of cleaning agent as well as hot temp and good ultrasonic action. This is where you separate the men from the boys. The cheap cleaners dont heat up to a decent temp and or take hours to reach the temp wheras the more costly units have say 400 watt heaters and multiple ultrasonic devices.

Just ordered a close out from Walmart. List price is $900+ and its on a reduction to $202 plus change. Stainless steel unit lots of room and ability to heat. Looking forward to getting it.

Soundguy
06-23-2017, 11:59 AM
I have a stainless one that heats and love it.

6bg6ga
06-28-2017, 07:03 AM
Well I got my ultrasonic cleaner I had ordered from Walmart. Its a great piece of equipment and bigger than I had thought it would be. Now to come up with the perfect cleaning solution mix.

Soundguy
06-28-2017, 09:46 AM
Well I got my ultrasonic cleaner I had ordered from Walmart. Its a great piece of equipment and bigger than I had thought it would be. Now to come up with the perfect cleaning solution mix.

I use demineralized water, a couple drops dish soap per gallon, and a little rubbing alcohol.. say 2-3 ounces in a gallon. Works great for me.. no residue on the brass, and the water flashes off fine and no water spots. Mines a heated pot.

KenT7021
06-28-2017, 10:10 AM
I have the Harbor Freight version.I use it to clean parts from rifles I bought from IMA and Atlanta Cutlery.I use Purple Power as the cleaning solution.The one I have has a short cycle time but works well for my needs.The guns out of Nepal can be dirty to put it mildly.

Soundguy
06-28-2017, 10:22 AM
watch out about purple power.. fairly caustic. don't put any brass or aluminum bits in the cleaner... it can damage them.

popper
06-28-2017, 12:09 PM
I found a cheap powder form of Lauryl (active agent in Dawn) just a detergent. add some lemishine to get rid of the lime deposits. Brass comes out clean. $2 for a lifetime supply.

Soundguy
06-28-2017, 12:16 PM
Better water = no lime problems, thus the de mineralized water I use.

kingstrider
06-28-2017, 04:42 PM
I need to pick up an ultrasonic for cleaning suppressors. They would probably frown on doing that at work lol.

6bg6ga
06-29-2017, 06:44 AM
I use demineralized water, a couple drops dish soap per gallon, and a little rubbing alcohol.. say 2-3 ounces in a gallon. Works great for me.. no residue on the brass, and the water flashes off fine and no water spots. Mines a heated pot.

Mine is heated also. I will try your cleaning mix and see what happens. Thanks

Soundguy
06-29-2017, 10:53 AM
good luck. works well for me. between the heat and slight alcohol content and de-min water.. brass comes out very, very noce, and dries quickly.

Bzcraig
10-10-2017, 10:20 PM
Most answers are about brass. What about gun parts, slides, cylinders, barrels, etc?

6bg6ga
10-11-2017, 06:10 AM
Most answers are about brass. What about gun parts, slides, cylinders, barrels, etc?

I saw a 1911 go into the tank and come out clean. After coming out of the tank it was blown off, oiled and cleaned and put together. It looked like new.

I use Members Mark degreaser 1/2 cup to 3.5 gal of water plus two squirts of Dawn dish soap. My water is soft water from the tap. Cleans really good just requires a rinse after brass or other things are cleaned and left to dry.

woodbutcher
10-11-2017, 05:02 PM
:grin: I became a believer in those type of cleaners when a friend decided to try his out on an old carb that had been sitting on a shelf in his garage for about 20 years.Could`nt move any of the screws with a screw driver.Left it in for about 2 hours,and it came apart as easily as if was almost new.All I have to do now is get the coin saved for one.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

bstone5
10-11-2017, 09:19 PM
Have two of the cleaners, both still work but do not use them since I started using the stainless steel pins and my old Rock tumbler with the two rubber drums. I did clean an old revolver with the cleaner and the gun came out very clean. The revolver belonged to my wife's grandfather and he kept the gun on a shelf on his screened in back porch. Have never fired the gun due to a lot of rust inside the barrel.

country gent
10-11-2017, 09:28 PM
One local shop uses one for cleaning used guns and odds and ends. Several police depts. have purchased them for officers to use cleaning their pistols. We had a med sized industrial at work for cleaning fixtures and parts. And there were some on the floor in production for cleaning parts that had to be clean and grease free. They work ( with the right cleaners for the job at hand) I could see 2 one with a cleaner for oils and greases one for other foulings. A trip thru one and blow off then the other, and the gun should be spotless.

Land Owner
08-12-2021, 06:33 AM
One and done, eh mesonary?

Anyone aware that UltraSonic Cleaning (USC - a definition for brevity) has been around since AT LEAST the 1960's? USC is well adapted for small parts, ultra-fine orifices, minuscule recess, and components that do not require take down (or perhaps cannot be). The watchmaker FIL of the fellow above has probably benefitted greatly from USC.

ALL 1970's draftsmen, using ink pens to draw designs on mylar or linen for blueprinting, used USC on those pens at the end of the day. Woe be unto them that left their pens to dry out overnight. The ink dries (and fills) in the tiny orifice through the hollow pen head and without USC (or some harsh, environmentally repugnant, time-consuming solvent), it would have been EXPENSIVE to throw those pen heads away every day.

rbuck351
08-12-2021, 10:45 AM
I have the small Lyman USC and use it mostly for brass. Used with Birchwood Casey case cleaner it will clean the black brass that has sat in the ground for years quickly. For normal range pick up dawn and lemishine works fine. I then use lizard litter walnut with some auto rubbing compound and a bit of cerium oxide (rock polish). They look as good as new and have a wax finish that keeps them from tarnishing.