PDA

View Full Version : 550b blues!

sawinredneck
04-25-2017, 11:11 PM
Got around to setting up my new to me/newly refurbished 550b tonight, had some problems!
Took a loaded round to set the seater depth and crimper, made sure the sizing did was touching the shell plate, mounted the powder measure and went to set the flairing. Not terrible to set, but a lot more touchy than the RCBS dies I'm used to, half a turn with these is a LOT!
Got that sorted, then to throwing a charge, well, I understand why Dillon owners have so many powder measures! Trying to remember which way to turn for less or more, then getting it backwards a dozen times, never mind it must have come set fully open! Took a bit to get set right.
Remember, real men don't need instructions!
So set up, just wanted to do a short run to see how things go, I load up 10 primers, might have been part of my undoing? Then set the rod on and try to load, first primer goes in sideways, then it won't feed anymore! Tried lightly tapping them down, no love, pulled the inner primer tube out to reset it, don't do that!!! Dumps primers all over the primer slide!
Fish out all the primers and reload the tubes, works great, or so I thought! Three of the eight loaded upside down?
Before it starts, I know it comes with the large primer set up ready, I took out the bronze colored slide, installed the silver one. I have tube with the red end in the primer system, red end down, rotated until it seated fully, and used the yellow pick up tube.
Could it be I just didn't put in enough primers?
How do you safely empty the primer system to switch calibers?
So much to learn it seems.

JimB..
04-25-2017, 11:27 PM
I wrote "away is down" on my bench under the press. Also had a 10%+ failure rate when priming, but over time it has declined to almost zero, either I learned not to jerk things around too much or the press needed to break in.

Best way to change primers is to first load until the tube is empty.

I find that every now and then, say 5,000 rounds just to pick a number, the plastic dispenser at the bottom of the primer tube needs to be replaced. Was probably done with your refurb, but maybe not.

And sorry, my experience is with a SDB, but I think the experience is similar enough to give you hope that things will improve quickly.

OS OK
04-25-2017, 11:39 PM
Remember, real men don't need instructions! . . . :bigsmyl2: . . . Ain't that the truth!

dragon813gt
04-25-2017, 11:42 PM
If you're using the powder bar for the first time close it completely before you put it in the measure. This way you can only open it. There are vendors on eBay who sell inexpensive plastic knobs that install over the stock screw. They give you a good reference point when changing positions.

I've never had a primer system issue. I only load it w/ the amount of primers I'm going to use. I don't use it for short runs. I have other presses for that. While the 550B is a versatile press it works best for production runs.

NSB
04-25-2017, 11:45 PM
Can't you use your RCBS dies in this press? I thought only the SD required using Dillon dies.

sawinredneck
04-25-2017, 11:52 PM
Yes, everything is basicly new with the refurb, I think the only thing they didn't replace was the frame!
I realize it's not good for short runs, I just wanted to function test it before dumping more money into it, it's set up for 9mm and I don't even own a 9mm!
Ill have to write the away is down, or some such myself! Also will close off the other powder measure before putting powder in it!

sawinredneck
04-25-2017, 11:54 PM
Can't you use your RCBS dies in this press? I thought only the SD required using Dillon dies.
This is a 550, I can use all but the flaring die because Dillon flares and drops powder at the same station, like the Lee four die sets.

corbinace
04-26-2017, 12:45 AM
Think of the powder bar adjuster as you would any other regulator. On a regulator, when you turn it clockwise or screw the bolt in it increases the amount of flow or in this case powder. When you unscrew the bolt or turn it to the left you decrease the amount of flow or in this case the flow of powder.

David2011
04-26-2017, 01:56 AM
Keep in mind powder bars are cheap and easily swapped. If you have a powder bar for each charge you throw that's almost as good as having dedicated powder measures.

CCI primers work better than most in the 550 and 650. It's not that they're my favorite; they just work in the primer feed more smoothly.

A Dillon has to be mounted on a very solid bench or you'll have primer problems. They just don't do well if the press shakes or vibrates. My Dillon bench is well designed but not overly heavy. It is, however, mounted to studs in the wall. That really helps dampen vibration. The bench top is 3/4 ply on a 2x4 frame with a 2x12 under the ply and tied in to the front and back 2x4s and glued to the ply where each press mounts. It's very stiff.

David

rbuck351
04-26-2017, 03:01 AM
My 550 will somehow spit a primer on the floor every couple hundred rounds or so. Other that that and me using the wrong primer tube it works great.

Big Wes
04-26-2017, 06:23 AM
Smooth motion is the key to not having primer issues. The smoother you operate the lever/handle the better.

Lance Boyle
04-26-2017, 08:17 AM
Agreed. The 550b priming operation needs smooth and stable. I have moved numerous
times, bolted to a heavy or bolted to the wall bench is much better than a shaky bench. BTDT with it on a Craftsman tool chest style work bench. Need to be
deliberately smooth to avoid primer flipping.

imashooter2
04-26-2017, 08:28 AM
Flipping primers is a bench that isn't stiff enough. Inability to remember which way to turn a screw, I can't help you with. :)

kayala
04-26-2017, 09:03 AM
Flipping primers is a bench that isn't stiff enough. Inability to remember which way to turn a screw, I can't help you with. :)

I can - I've put '+' on one side and '-' on other side of the powder bar with permanent marker :D

mjwcaster
04-26-2017, 09:28 AM
When are the primers flipping?
As they drop from the tube or are they getting flipped while traveling?

I agree with the bench issue.
If it flexes at all you will have more issues.
A sturdy bench and a clean press eliminate most issues.

How to remove primers-
Unscrew the top, pull the two bottom bolts, remove the whole priming system and dump into your primer flipping tray.

Probably one of the biggest pains on the 550.

Don't feel bad, I have separate lines in my checklist-
Make sure powder measure bar is closed when starting to adjust.
Guess why I added that one.

Test the priming system with 10 primers.
This one was added when I didn't have the primer tube seated all the way.
I would rather find the issues with only 10 primers to deal with rather than 100.

I should add tp my list make sure primer flip tray is completely on the bench.
Got to pick up most of 100 primers a few weeks ago when I must have let it sit slightly over the edge of the bench. Then pressed down on it with the pickup tube and flipped it all on to the floor.

My checklist tries to idiot proof the process, but it is still growing.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

jmorris
04-26-2017, 09:37 AM

I load he current caliber until I am out of primers, then switch.

When you do switch, this will be a little faster than changing everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rCGV-JPYaE

Don't feel bad, there is going to be a learning curve to anything.

mjwcaster
04-26-2017, 09:59 AM
There is a learning curve.
When I started it was daunting to change calibers and especially primer size.
Now it is just a chance to clean the press, takes maybe 10 minutes if I hurry then my normal checking of all settings, which I do every time I start a session.

Another reason for the checklist, had a crimp die come loose and back out one time, ended up with a batch of ammo that wouldn't chamber until I recrimped it.

Now I also just check everything for tightness when adding primers, nothing fancy just twist each die and powder measure, grab the priming system, check the powder measure arm.
And blow the press off.

Another little thing that takes only seconds, but helps assure quality.

And I do this before emptying the bin, that way if I find something wrong with the press I know which batch of 100 could be affected.

runfiverun
04-26-2017, 10:17 AM
here is how I change primer sizes.
I take one step to the right to go from small pistol to large pistol.
I take one step to the left to change from small pistol to large rifle.
I take another step to the left to change from large rifle to small rifle.
I change primer sizes on the vibra-prime tool by reaching behind the large primer machine and pulling the small primer machine around it.
see that?
speed and efficiency.

on changing powder amounts.
they use right hand threads.
so righty tighty, lefty loosy.

my random number on changing out the tips is when they don't want to work, so far it's over 70-K rounds on the one machine and still counting I'm well over 20 on two the other one is well over 30-K.

you can get the primers to feed smooth all the way until empty by adding a 454 casull or 45 colt case to the top of the black primer rod. [I put a couple of small washers in the case too]
the extra weight keeps everything from jostling around and flipping over or sideways.

fatelvis
04-26-2017, 10:25 AM
WOW! Thank you Jmorris for that Youtube video. I will never change my primer slide bar again. Great time saver!
Man I love this site, always learning.

David2011
04-26-2017, 10:59 AM
I just thought of something else. Primers popping out onto the floor might be caused by the 'spent primer catcher chute' #13899 hinge pin, #13988. This is the most rinky-dink part on any Dillon press ever. A soft cotter pin (13988) is used as the pivot pin and it is not up to the job. Mine started bending and just got worse every time I straightened it. I replaced it with a very long 4-40 machine screw held by a self locking nylon insert nut. Seems like it took a screw about 1-1/4" long. Since that modification the spent primer catcher chute has worked much more smoothly and has ejected far fewer primers to the floor.

David

standles
04-26-2017, 11:03 AM
When setting up the powder die... The drop tube is put in and when you mount the powder hopper/dispenser DO NOT completely tighten the two setscrews to hold the powder hopper on the die. There should be a little play (up/dwn) but still in the groove. I finger snug but not crank on it with an allen wrench. This small movement allows the drop tube to better align and the belling to be more consistent if your cases are not radically different in OAL.

376Steyr
04-26-2017, 11:09 AM
I've been using my Dillon 550 for 27 years now. The other day it suddenly started spitting primers. It took me 20 minutes of fiddling, looking for a broken component, before I realized I had the wrong size primer slide installed.

Calamity Jake
04-26-2017, 11:16 AM
I've used a 450 converted to 450B for 30+ years, the only problem I've had with primers flipping
is when the priming cup gets out of line with the hole in the shell plate carrier.
As you lower the ram, if the primer cup catches on the edge of the hole in the carrier
it becomes spring loaded then slips into the hole flipping the primer.

You also need to keep the area under the primer slide clean as old primer residue will collect
under it causing it to stick under the primer tube or it will not move far enough
to the rear to pick up a primer.

I've used all primer brands in my 450B, have had no problems with any.

sawinredneck
04-26-2017, 12:01 PM
My bench is 6 1/2'x 17 1/2"s, made entirely of 2x8"s then 5/8" plywood scrwed to the top of 2x8"s laying flat on top. It's not moving.
That was a great vid on the primer cups, I like that! When I changed the slide bar I made sure I had the shell carrier all the way down to make sure it was lined up.
Doesn't look like I'll mess with it today, been throwing up since 4am, gotta love weather changes!
Thanks for all the tips and insight so far, it'll get sorted out someday!

sawinredneck
04-29-2017, 08:28 PM
Finally felt half decent today so I sat down to have a "chat" with the Dillon. First primer was loaded sideways, second was in the cup upside down!
Sometimes we are our own worst enemy!
As I went to flip the primer over I noticed how sloppy it was in the pocket. This got me thinking, so I pulled out the other primer slide and noted how the primer fit in that cup. Yup, no slop in that one! Dillon had shipped it with the small primer set up! Boy don't I look stupid?
Cranked out some rounds, no more primer issues! Still not getting the powder measure reset every time, but I'm a work in progress it seems!
Thanks for all the support so far.

mjwcaster
04-29-2017, 09:20 PM
I am laughing with you on this one.
I will try to remember to add this to my checklist.
Funny thing is that no one thought of it, the simplest issues are often overlooked.
Same thing as starting troubleshooting with 'is it plugged in?'
Surprised that I haven't done this yet, sometimes it seems like I have made every other mistake.
Loading a batch of unlubed Boolits was one of the better ones.

Glad you figured it out.

sawinredneck
05-01-2017, 10:51 PM
Just when I thought we were starting to get along! Set it up for another load, took a bit to get the powder measure right, again, but got it. Loaded a few, checked every primer to start with, but was mainly focused on the powder charge. Sure as ****, damn thing quit feeding primers! I'm seeing a trip to the scrap yard then machine shop down the street real soon! That stupid plastic primer pusher is fixing to be brass!

CHeatermk3
05-01-2017, 11:17 PM
Maybe I'm stupid, but I threw the primer actuator arm thingy away 20 yrs ago and just manually move the primer arm for each round.

I so regret selling my 450!!

sawinredneck
05-01-2017, 11:26 PM
It's not the acuater, it's the plastic rod that pushes the primers down the tube that doesn't weigh enough.

mjwcaster
05-01-2017, 11:32 PM
Put a 45 case on it, acp, colt 454 casul etc.
That is enough weight to keep it working.

The follower is plastic so it does not become a dangerous projectile in case of a primer chain explosion.

Are you sure the primer feed slide is going all the way back?

And that there is nothing in the way, like a spent primer?

I have had that happen a time or two.

Don't get discouraged, soon you will have a slick running machine.

PowPow
05-01-2017, 11:44 PM
This one was added when I didn't have the primer tube seated all the way.
I would rather find the issues with only 10 primers to deal with rather than 100.

I've done this on my 550. It only takes once for me to start double-checking it.

I should add to my list make sure primer flip tray is completely on the bench.
Got to pick up most of 100 primers a few weeks ago when I must have let it sit slightly over the edge of the bench. Then pressed down on it with the pickup tube and flipped it all on to the floor.

I thought I was the only one clumsy enough to do something like this. It's amazing how far those little buggers can go!

mjwcaster
05-01-2017, 11:55 PM
PowPow I think I only got about 95 of the live primers picked up.
I also picked up plenty of spent primers that were on the floor.
Glad I have bare concrete, could not imagine that on plush carpet.
And I have had the press mounted in my living room before, just never spilt primers then.

sawinredneck
05-01-2017, 11:59 PM
Yeah, we don't wanna talk about dropped primers! My press is in mama's computer room, I'm gonna have to fire up the shop vac soon.

CHeatermk3
05-02-2017, 12:11 AM
Followers?

Your Dillon RL550B has a follower to push primers down the feed tube?
Mine just slide down and feed by gravity.

sawinredneck
05-02-2017, 12:40 AM
Followers?

Your Dillon RL550B has a follower to push primers down the feed tube?
Mine just slide down and feed by gravity.
Yes, the black plastic piece that hits the low primer alarm?

sawinredneck
12-12-2017, 01:40 AM
Well, I’m a bigger idiot than I ever imagined! I finally got around to loading some 45acp for my dad this evening. Changed out the tool head, changed out the shell plate, primer cup and primer tube. Adjusted the sizing die and got the flaring die close, time to prime and adjust the powder charge. I go to load the primers, they won’t go in the tube? GRRRRRRR!! I had the large primer tube in with small primers and swapped it out installing the small primer tube! Not spilling primers everywhere was entertaining for sure, but I somewhat managed. Changed out the tube and managed to load 50rds without a single primer issue, imagine that! Idiot!

Mike Kerr
12-12-2017, 02:33 AM
Glad you got the primer tubes figured out. I've been running 450's with auto prime and auto powder system as well as my own 550 for some time (A couple of decades anyway) and it is amazing how we as human operators can figure out ways to screw up a system that does work once you get all the kinks figured out. I found that most of my hiccups were from ME not the 550 system. Good luck.

Kevin Rohrer
12-12-2017, 07:29 AM
The written instructions are fairly clear. There are plenty of Youtube videos, and Dillon sells one, too. If you don't know what you are doing, be smart and read/watch. Also find someone here who is in your area who owns one that is willing to show you how to set it up.

jmorris
12-12-2017, 10:11 AM
You didn’t read the op.

Your trying to take all the fun out of it for him.

dverna
12-12-2017, 10:20 AM
One nice thing about having multiple presses is that I do not change out primer systems. I am a lazy SOB.

sparky45
12-12-2017, 10:43 AM
I have a 650 and last week I had a similar problem with the primer system. Since I have two complete priming systems for the 650, I had the large primer system installed when "trying" to load some 38 special. It was a quick reminder to be vigilant when reloading. Switched out the systems and in business within 5~10 minutes.

kayala
12-12-2017, 11:05 AM
Got that sorted, then to throwing a charge, well, I understand why Dillon owners have so many powder measures! Trying to remember which way to turn for less or more, then getting it backwards a dozen times, never mind it must have come set fully open! Took a bit to get set right.
So set up, just wanted to do a short run to see how things go, I load up 10 primers, might have been part of my undoing? Then set the rod on and try to load, first primer goes in sideways, then it won't feed anymore! Tried lightly tapping them down, no love, pulled the inner primer tube out to reset it, don't do that!!! Dumps primers all over the primer slide!
Fish out all the primers and reload the tubes, works great, or so I thought! Three of the eight loaded upside down?
Before it starts, I know it comes with the large primer set up ready, I took out the bronze colored slide, installed the silver one. I have tube with the red end in the primer system, red end down, rotated until it seated fully, and used the yellow pick up tube.
Could it be I just didn't put in enough primers?

I've solved powder adjustment directions with a sharpie - just mark sides of the powder measure with '+' and '-' - never hesitate again. I've had primers flipped when I've forgot to change the tube and used small primers with large tube. Fastest way I've found to clear primers tube on 550 is to unscrew 2 bolts pull out complete assembly and flip it upside down to some container.

TenTea
12-12-2017, 12:10 PM
A tip that saves me grief with Dillon powder measure:
Say I want a 5.0 grain powder charge of WIN231, for example.
I weigh out 5.0 grains and dump it into the empty powder measure.
I then adjust the "cavity" in the charge bar to hold all the powder, level to the top of the bar.
This usually takes a few taps on the measure to bump all the powder into the right spot and a flashlight helps to see clearly in there.
Then I fill the powder measure and only need a slight adjustment up or down to throw 5.0 grains, while loading.
This saves a lot of "hunting and pecking" and the measure is adjusted quickly.

jmorris
12-12-2017, 09:13 PM
I never have enjoyed adjusting them; however, at times I am cheap, so I don’t have a bunch of measures sitting around ready to go.

Instead I just keep powder bars pre set and swap them out like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdNZkkTFQEM

David2011
12-12-2017, 10:51 PM
One nice thing about having multiple presses is that I do not change out primer systems. I am a lazy SOB.

Yep. Both of mine have small primer setups in them right now.

PowPow
12-18-2017, 06:53 PM
I had an issue the first time setting up the 550 for .45ACP. For some reason, every case that I sized would stick in the die as in pull out with pliers stuck. I tried case lube, even with the carbide die. No dice. Checked everything multiple times (except one thing). What the heck? Well, I had grabbed my .45LC die set off the shelf. The .45ACP dies were sitting up there looking at stupid me pulling my hair out for no good reason.

sawinredneck
12-19-2017, 05:03 AM
Lol! We all do dumb things once in a while!