PDA

View Full Version : Midway Prices

alamogunr
07-15-2008, 10:38 AM
Have any of you noticed that Midway prices are almost always higher than just about anyone else's? I was looking to buy one of those vises that can be turned sideways and looked at the gunsmithing tools section on the Midway site. They had it on closeout, approx. $22 off. Came to $60 incl. shipping. The same vise painted differently, is available at Grizzly for about $50 regular price incl shipping. I find that this is the case for just about everything. the same thing is cheaper somewhere else. I don't mean that I have to look very hard either. Case in point, Midway won't ship powder and primers together, so you incur 2 hazmat charges. Powder Valley ships together.
Am I missing something here???
John
W.TN

mtnman31
07-15-2008, 11:49 AM
I have been a Midway shopper for years and used to purchase almost exclusively from them. Their prices have definitely taken a jump and now I find that I rarely purchase from them and when I do it is only a sale item. Thier shipping costs and price increases have driven me away from them. I can say that all my past dealings with them have been great and I am disappointed that I can't afford to shop with them anymore. Their customer service and order wait times were excellent.

Lately, I have been purchasing from a friend locally. He has a business account with Grafs and most purchases are made through them. I coordinate my orders for powder and primers with his orders so that we can save on multiple hazmat fees. The prices he passes on to me are very fair. If I am buying from him the prices have to be good because I am frugal.

If anyone lives in the San Diego area and is interested in a local source with fair prices, PM me and I'll get you his contact info. I won't put it out in public because he runs his small business from his home.

Lee
07-15-2008, 01:24 PM
Same experience here. Posting stuff in the monthly catalogs, with $0.49 off, really does not constitute much of a sale price in my mind. And if they removed the tired old stuff they churn out each month at regular prices, it would no longer be a catalog. It would be a postcard.
Actually though, they call it a " monthly Flyer"
And we all know that a flyer is the one that just misses the mark.
If Midway is reading this, and they want to build a customer base, they could bring their prices in line with others......

bradh
07-15-2008, 02:07 PM
I have found this true for some time. I shop Midway as a last choice! We helped Larry build
that business and I believe he is now putting the screws to us. Just my feelings about
Midway.

Sprue
07-15-2008, 06:13 PM
When it comes down to it, they are all too high. By the time shipping is added to your online orders the prices are no longer competitive with the local stores.

As for Midway, have any of you seen the TV article showing Midways warehouse operations? Its all ran automatically on conveyor systems. All items are picked via computer control and dropped into a basket. The only human involved is the guy packing the items into boxes for shipment. Its hi-tech. Same day shipping is their plea/slogan.

One of the main reasons that I patron them is cause I'm always adding items to my Wish List. When those items go on sale (yea right) I send my list to the little woman , she orders and pays for it. Which is good on MY wallet.:drinks:

alamogunr
07-15-2008, 06:40 PM
As for Midway, have any of you seen the TV article showing Midways warehouse operations? Its all ran automatically on conveyor systems. All items are picked via computer control and dropped into a basket. The only human involved is the guy packing the items into boxes for shipment. Its hi-tech. Same day shipping is their plea/slogan.

If I had to guess the reason for Midway's prices, it would be bloated inventory and excess overhead. Those systems don't come cheap. As for same day shipping, I can easily wait a few days for anything I order. If I need it tomorrow, I'll buy it locally (or as close to local as I can).

MT Gianni
07-15-2008, 07:23 PM
Someone has to pay for all the catalogs.

500bfrman
07-16-2008, 06:33 AM
I bought 1000 pieces of magtech brass for 374 from midway on memorial day. show me where I can get that cheaper. I can't even get that local.

DLCTEX
07-16-2008, 08:17 AM
I wish that they would ship smaller items USPS instead of UPS. I suppose the reason is they only deal with a single shipper, so it makes things simpler. And shipping backorder items separately (every order has some) is an added expense. They will not hold the order until the backordered item comes in, either. That got my last order for them canceled. The automated system is cheaper than using people. No sick days, medical ins., vacations, raises, or union meetings, and fewer mistakes. The enventory does not have to be arranged by catagory or such, the computer just remembers where it put what. It actually should make it cheaper to buy from them. DALE

largom
07-16-2008, 09:05 AM
I buy most of my shooting stuff from Midsouth Shooters Supply. Their regular prices are usually cheaper than Midway's SALE prices and they will hold your order, at your request, for back-ordered items.
Larry

alamogunr
07-16-2008, 09:16 AM
I bought 1000 pieces of magtech brass for 374 from midway on memorial day. show me where I can get that cheaper. I can't even get that local.

1000 pcs of what? I've found that Graf's is a pretty good source of brass, especially for the mil surps. I'm getting ready to order some this week. A combination of loaded ammo and brass and I'm set for a lot of reloading. The loaded ammo gets me started with a new (to me) rifle in a cartridge that I've never shot before and generates some high quality brass.

I'm also going to try Mid-South. I know, bottom line, they will be more expensive since I'll have to pay sales tax. In TN that is 9.75%. Hard to overcome with low prices but they are very responsive to customer needs.

I guess, in the final analysis, Midway is just not in my future for most things.

John
W.TN

freedom475
07-16-2008, 09:40 AM

Buy direct from starline for best new brass prices......

475linebaugh $362 per 1000 from starline

$520 from midway.....and on backorder!

I buy just about everything I can from Grafs. Black powder.....$11 or $12 a lb hazmat included! Last month they were paying hazmats in addition to there $4 shipping.

cajun shooter
07-16-2008, 11:31 AM
Waiting on a package from Midway right now; but they were my last choice and the only one with my mdse at the time of order. Graf is good for the $4 shipping but if you comparision shop ;they have higher prices almost across the board. Mid- South has been my first choice for some time, then Graf and finally Midway with the high prices on everything plus shipping. They are however shipping my last small $92 order via USPS

timkelley
07-16-2008, 11:54 AM
Does anyone know if Midsouth and/or Graf accept a C&R FFL for a dealer discount?

alamogunr
07-16-2008, 12:39 PM
Graf does accept a C&R. To get the prices you have to pay shipping. I haven't checked to see if there is an advantage. Also you can't use a credit card. I have heard that Mid South does not accept C&R for dealer prices. I don't know this for a fact.

I have checked a few times and found that many times Midway's sale prices are the prices that you get with a C&R. Again, I don't know if this is prevalent.

John

copdills
07-16-2008, 01:50 PM
yes they are higher and I use to shop only with them and I still shop with midway on some special deals in their fliers, they have great customer service and shipping is fast, but I do buy from others now as well F&M and Midsouth and few others that are cheaper in price on the items I use

Heavy lead
07-16-2008, 02:28 PM
I do buy from Midway, Midsouth, and Grafs. Natchez Shooting Supply has some good deals on primers, powder and j-bullets as well, there website is awfull to navigate, but they're good people. I did get a good price on the RCBS 416-350 mould and the RCBS 475-400 mould recently I think at $57 or so the one thing I like about Midway is they are very quick, at least in my experience. Oh Natchez has by far the best scope prices in my experience.

Sprue
07-17-2008, 07:55 PM
I wish that they would ship smaller items USPS instead of UPS. I suppose the reason is they only deal with a single shipper,

All of my Midway packages ship via USPS at my request.

UPS does not have the technology to fine my house. I'm only 4 miles away from their terminal. Go figger.

kingstrider
07-19-2008, 09:57 AM
I like the Midway website, especially the reviews which are helpful. But I usually save a bundle by ordering from Midsouth Shooters Supply.

44man
07-19-2008, 01:53 PM
Larry Potterfield always says "Thanks for the business." [smilie=1:

Sprue
07-19-2008, 03:44 PM
Larry Potterfield always says "Thanks for the business." [smilie=1:

..couple months ago he slightly changed his tune to:

"Thanks for your business"

....."and thats the way it is". I would sure like to make the repairs and mods as quickly and simple as he does on the Wednesday night shows.

abunaitoo
09-26-2008, 09:30 PM
Last time I ordered for Midway, they refused to send it in a USPS flat rate box. I ordered anyway because Graf was out of stock. UPS shipping was fast, but expensive.
I only order for Midway if I need it right away and Graf is out. Graf has no problem shipping USPS flat rate. Just as fast as UPS.

Parson
09-26-2008, 10:03 PM
Let me add my 2 cents worth. I ordered a bunch of AR parts from Midway for a customer. I always ask for USPS shipping, regular not priority unless I know its heavy. Almost everything was backordered. Little by little they began to cancel the backordered items one at a time. I thought I had nothing more coming. One day the brown truck pulls up and drops off a small package "Prority", almost $10.00 shipping, so what did I get? A gas tube pin for the AR, retail on the pin is 99 cents, my bill is now pennys short of $11. I call them up and they blame me for not telling them I wanted the cheapest shipping. I tell them to look it up, I asked for USPS regular mail. They smarted back with something like, that was the original order, not the backorder. I do not do bussiness with them anymore, Just got their new "Hunting" catolog, threw it in the trash. I even e-mailed the boss, told him the story and demanded they take my name off of their mailing list, still get it and still throw it in the trash. A good company normally, wish I could do bussiness with them but will not

Bad Water Bill
09-27-2008, 02:39 AM
I have heard that U P S has space in the Midway bldg. Therefore they give cheaper billing to Midway. I have the same problem on back orders. I ordered a crony and 218 bee brass on a birthday discount. After 60 days the back orders were canceled. I called cust service and complained. they put the items back on my list. The next time I checked the list the items were there but reflected a price increase and no discount. Another phone call to get it fixed. Finally got the crony at disc price. Guess what, the 218 brass was canceled again. Called again and fixed it I thought. Wrong, An $80.00 price increase. Another call fixed the price and am still waiting for Winchester to make them. One order shipped in 3 parts should have been shipped for $10.00 now will cost me 30 in shipping. Will question the haz mat fees at a later post.

Ghugly
09-27-2008, 02:40 AM
Perhaps I've just been lucky with Midway. So far, when their website says an item is in stock, it is and I get it quickly. When I've strayed from Midway, I've payed the price by having to wait while wondering whether or not I was going to get all my order, or just parts of it. I'm willing to pay a little more for good service and, so far, Midway has been good to me.

smokemjoe
09-27-2008, 09:00 AM
Went I drive down into MO. I stop at Grafts, by now they should have their store open to shop in. I once got all my stuff from Mid- Way but got o f put of hand. Thanks- Joe