PDA

View Full Version : Buckboard Bacon

SciFiJim
04-25-2017, 07:02 PM
I tried my hand at buckboard bacon. I used Cabela's Bacon Cure (http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Bacon-Cure/940417.uts) on deboned pork shoulder. I used it as a dry rub cure and added additional maple syrup and black pepper. After curing for I slow smoked it with hickory to 160º. It turned out great.

Nueces
04-25-2017, 07:12 PM
Sure looks good, too.

pipehand
04-25-2017, 08:04 PM
Just picked up a couple of High Mountain Buckboard cure mixes this afternoon. A friend of mine did a loin with it and then smoked it. Shared some thin sliced with me, and it was the best sandwich ham I have had in ages. I have also done shoulder as Buckboard, and it is great fried up as a BLT sandwich.

Boaz
04-25-2017, 08:13 PM
Buckboard bacon is a good deal , speaking from experience . Lol . Need to make some .

Elkins45
04-25-2017, 08:42 PM
I used a package of that buckboard bacon seasoning to make venison bacon. I bought a big pork shoulder and ground it up, then mixed it with ground venison. I made five pound loaves and smoked them. Sliced and fried it is some darned good stuff, and the venison lets you back down the fat content a bit.

hwilliam01
04-25-2017, 11:22 PM
I tried smoking a pork shoulder once....it was good....but that was in college, and I didn't inhale. I never tried again because it was hard to find rolling papers big enough....it was real hard to keep lit, and drawing on it made my jaws sore....:lol:

gwpercle
04-26-2017, 01:31 PM
Just the thought of that buckboard bacon stacked on a couple of hot biscuits is making me weak in the knee's. Lord that looks some good !

Lance Boyle
05-02-2017, 09:26 PM
I tried smoking a pork shoulder once....it was good....but that was in college, and I didn't inhale. I never tried again because it was hard to find rolling papers big enough....it was real hard to keep lit, and drawing on it made my jaws sore....:lol:

use wax paper or parchment paper. The wax paper will help keep your fingers clean