PDA

View Full Version : Morning smelt

Echo
04-25-2017, 02:41 PM
Got energetic and hit the turkey fryer about 0800 this AM. I had prepared the dutch oven last PM for the first effort - and had a problem.
I bought 60 lbs of ww ingots on eBay, received them yesterday, and split out 35 lbs to make my favorite base metal (35 lbs WW, 5 lbs Mono, + 1% Sn). Flooded ingot molds to make about 40 lbs of alloy (8 molds full), and then made ready to make some WW+2%Sn with the rest of the WW's. Should have been 25 lbs. Wasn't. Was only 15 lbs. Paid for 60 lbs, received 50 lbs. So. Started the process...
Anyway, made the 15lbs WW + 2%Sn this AM, then made some pistol alloy. Fifty/fifty the base/Pb, plus another 1% Sn. Makes about 2+% Sn, ~3-% Sb, and did 23 lbs base/23 lbs Pb, and 7.3 oz Sn. Enough for one morning...

lightman
04-25-2017, 04:55 PM
Kinda sucks that you got shorted on your order. Hope you get it straightened out.

ikarus1
04-25-2017, 04:57 PM
yeah I don't buy other user's ingots on Fleabay. The costs are much higher than our S&S for one, and usually exorbitant shipping.

lightman
04-27-2017, 08:34 AM
Yeah, I browse around on EBay some and the lead seems to be much higher than our members sell it for. If you find some cheap, you better look at the shipping cost! I would much prefer to deal with our members.

04-27-2017, 10:33 AM
So far 100% of my lead has been from eBay and it's not much more expensive than the best deals here. I'm paying about $1.46 delivered for COWW from 3 sources one eBay I now trust. None of my purchases were junk but a couple were not as clean as the three people I've now settled on using. I buy from them every time they offer something up which is somewhat random. I have some very clean COWW and some unbelievable Isotope lead in my stack. The best deal going right now with our members is Kathie and it's $1.26 delivered for her COWW. I didn't know she existed until a recent post. I'd never consider smelting at these prices. I'm probably going to order 100lbs from her to see how it does. Members will likely be my new normal source. I just want to make the point that one is doing themselves a disservice by ignoring eBay as a source for lead.

Yeah, I browse around on EBay some and the lead seems to be much higher than our members sell it for. If you find some cheap, you better look at the shipping cost! I would much prefer to deal with our members.

HoosierShooter
04-27-2017, 04:53 PM
At first I was expecting to hear about dipping for smelt in the rivers of Upper Peninsula MI and cooking them up for breakfast.