PDA

View Full Version : 41 magnum

nagantguy
04-24-2017, 10:03 AM
I did something that I almost never do ; I took a sick day at work, running a small family business it just makes more work for everyone else and makes my work load double for the next 2 days. It's not even to do something fun or hunt or just because it's beautiful out which it is but I'm really sick,seems to be stomach head and chest started about 3am this morning and it feels like a cross between the worst hangover I've ever had and the body aches of hell week at Paris Island!
Whats got me worried is the head part; I've been up all night reading about the misunderstood overlooked neglected gem 41 magnum! It sounds so good looks so good on paper, those whom have them are often fanatical about them. I have 357s and many 44 mags actually I have and have had more weapons in 44 than anything else except 7.62x54r. So am I missing the boat, is this 41 the great walking around woods loafing hunting lighter big game caliber? I'm trying to talk my myself into one but two long time friends and very accomplished pistoleros I know have booth had and than sold 41s, though neither can pin point why or share any great flaw so I've come here to ask y'all why do you love or hate it?

HATCH
04-24-2017, 12:09 PM
I love 41 mag.
I own a 1894 Marlin Lever, a 3 inch magna ported 657, and a 6 inch 657.
I like it because it has more power then 357 mag but isn't as bad of recoil as 44 mag.

My dad got me into this round. I have maybe 5K cases. Mostly new starline.
I have cast up 4K boolits sitting on the shelf and currently have about 2K loaded rounds.
Its funny that I haven't shot it in about 3 years. Life has me busy lately.

Lately 40 cal has been my thing. Its what I carry and I have been shooting it more to get better.
I picked up a sweet conversion (rifle). Its basically a SEMI-UMP that shoots 40 cal. Has 30 rd mags. I love it A LOT.

Anyway, if you cast then 41 mag you will love.

C.F.Plinker
04-24-2017, 01:40 PM
There is a good discussion of 41 vs. 44 magnum including history as well as performance issues in the reloading subfourum of the S&W forum as we speak.

jmort
04-24-2017, 01:49 PM
It seems like a good compromise between the .357 and the .44
No good reason not to get one
If you reload as most do here, then you can download a .44 mag and just move on.

nagantguy
04-24-2017, 02:20 PM
It seems like a good compromise between the .357 and the .44
No good reason not to get one
If you reload as most do here, then you can download a .44 mag and just move on.
See that's my problem; I have many things in 44 and have loads all over the map, from real light special to fast "Keith " specials to low end mags just above where you can take the special to full bore crazy 320 grain monsters and have settled on a 265 swc over h110 as my all day everyday walking/deer hunting load and couldn't be happier; do I need a 41,no can I do anything with it I can't already do,nope. I'd have to buy new molds and dies and gas checks, but I still want one

huntrick64
04-24-2017, 05:56 PM
None of us 41 guys (that I know of anyway) bought a 41 because we were lacking in anything other than another caliber to load for and play with. It shoots relatively flat, has great knockdown, yet doesn't really smash your knuckles. I own 357s and 44s, yet I still grab a 41 most of the time. I own an 1894FG, an 8" Smith 657, several Ruger 41 blackhawks (NM and OM), one 41 Ruger Bisleys, and enough .41 molds to be embarrassed if anyone really finds out. I have leftover cans of just about any kind of powder you can shoot out of the 41, and liked them all! I will probably buy any other 41s that come my way with an attractive price. Is it a cult, probably. Is it addictive, definitely. Is it making a really big "comeback"? Nope, but it never really took off anyway because the 357 and 44 were already here. Every once in a while, I pick one up pretty reasonably because the owner doesn't reload and can't find or afford ammo. They never shot it enough to even know if they liked it.

If you're looking to gain something big over a 357 or a 44, don't buy it. If you are like the rest of us, and you want to try something different, jump on board. You will never know what it's like until you try it. What else in life can you buy to try, and if you don't like it, get back most if not all of your money back (if you buy used).

I really haven't ran into anyone who regretted buying one, but I have ran into several people who regretted selling theirs. I guess that last sentence really sums it up.

LUCKYDAWG13
04-24-2017, 06:53 PM
None of us 41 guys (that I know of anyway) bought a 41 because we were lacking in anything other than another caliber to load for and play with. It shoots relatively flat, has great knockdown, yet doesn't really smash your knuckles. I own 357s and 44s, yet I still grab a 41 most of the time. I own an 1894FG, an 8" Smith 657, several Ruger 41 blackhawks (NM and OM), one 41 Ruger Bisleys, and enough .41 molds to be embarrassed if anyone really finds out. I have leftover cans of just about any kind of powder you can shoot out of the 41, and liked them all! I will probably buy any other 41s that come my way with an attractive price. Is it a cult, probably. Is it addictive, definitely. Is it making a really big "comeback"? Nope, but it never really took off anyway because the 357 and 44 were already here. Every once in a while, I pick one up pretty reasonably because the owner doesn't reload and can't find or afford ammo. They never shot it enough to even know if they liked it.

If you're looking to gain something big over a 357 or a 44, don't buy it. If you are like the rest of us, and you want to try something different, jump on board. You will never know what it's like until you try it. What else in life can you buy to try, and if you don't like it, get back most if not all of your money back (if you buy used).

I really haven't ran into anyone who regretted buying one, but I have ran into several people who regretted selling theirs. I guess that last sentence really sums it up.
that sums it up

sixshot
04-24-2017, 09:50 PM
Bought my first one in 1967 (model 57 S&W) & I've had one every since then. Is it better than the 44, nope, is it as good, probably with correct bullets. Shoot a 250 gr. bullet in both & nothing can live on the difference. Took my very first elk with a 41 magnum & also my last elk with a different 41 magnum. Both were one shot kills with complete penetration. My favorite bullet for most of those years has been a 230 gr. Keith & a good charge of 2400 powder. Many deer & one black bear have also fell too my 41 magnums & accuracy has always been easy to find in several different guns including the current 5 1/2" Bisley, the same one I used on that last elk at a tick over 70 yds with iron sights. I stood next to a friend a few years ago when he dropped a very nice bull moose with one shot from his Ruger 41 magnum using a cast slug as it faced us head on & he placed the bullet perfectly at the base of the throat at 62 yds, what's not to like about the 41 magnum.

Dick

jeepyj
04-24-2017, 10:08 PM
Book marked with interest

Idaho Mule
04-24-2017, 11:09 PM
I agree with most of the others here. Do you "need" it? Probably not. Will you like it? Maybe, maybe not. Are they fun? You bet!! I have an older Ruger Redhawk, a Blackhawk, and a Marlin FG. I need all 3 for some silly reason. JW

nagantguy
04-25-2017, 10:24 AM
See gents this is the enabling behavior I was afraid of, you get a wild thought like a 41 in your head and everyone says "get one they are so wonderful " and then a local guy whom you deal and trade with just happens to have a Blackhawk in that flavor for sale!

375supermag
04-25-2017, 11:31 AM
Hi...

I bought my first .41Magnum, Ruger BlackHawk probably 30 years or so ago from a co-worker.
Hooked immediately...I have put thousands of handloads both cast and jacketed through that handgun over the years.
A few years later, I added a S&W Model 57 that simply reaffirmed my belief that this cartridge is a perfect combination of power and controllability that provides excellent accuracy with 215gr LSWC and Hornady 215gr HP/XTP when handloaded with tested powders such as 2400, 296 and Unique.

Last fall, I came across a very slightly used Ruger BlackHawk in .41Magnum in a local gunshop. I didn't really need another .41Magnum but for $315US, I couldn't pass up the deal. FWIW, that is the most I have paid for any of my .41Magnum handguns. I haven't had it out to the range yet due to ongoing health issues but I have every confidence that it will be a worthwhile addition to my SA revolver collection.

I think everyone who shoots handguns should at least try the .41Magnum. It is one of three or four calibers that I shoot the most out of SA revolvers, the other three being .357Mag, .45Colt and .44Spl.
Is it my favorite??? Hard to say...I tend to think what I am shooting at the moment to be my favorite, but I wouldn't want to be without it in my collection.

This really is a very good, underappreciated cartridge that deserves to be more popular.

Kawriverrat
04-25-2017, 07:10 PM
The 41 mag is capable of one thing some 357 loads & the 44 cant do. That is not beat up an N frame Smith in short order with sane magnum loads. Ive had two 29's & know of others that havent done well shooting heavy loads with it. It's been my experience that 357 in the N frame can flame cut badly with some loads & not just hot loaded 125 grain. Ive put a few pawls in my 57, when the timing went bad. There is a bit of erosion however it still shoots as well as it did new.

The N frame & 41 mag go together like peanutbutter & jelly. Im a Ruger fanboy. But when it come to the 41 mag my thoughts are.... the model 57 Smith & Wesson with sane loads, is the best all around, most handy platform for this caliber....Jeff

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-25-2017, 09:05 PM
As a castbooliteer, the 41 holds advantages over the 44. Manufacturers make all the 41 guns to the same/similar specs, but the 44 has it's quirks with separate and different SAAMI specs for Rifle and pistol...add to that, some foreign manufacturers chose to make their pistols to Rifle specs, so they don't have to have twice the tooling. Just recently Ruger came out with a SP-100 in 44 spl, and guess what, a couple castboolit members report their gun's had cylinder throats measuring .434 making me believe Ruger's whole first batch was that way, maybe? And I suppose that could happen to any new product by any manufacturer, but it's a 44 and with the SAAMI rifle specs, it would probably be acceptable by some...Rossi for one, I had a older Rossi 720 revolver with .434 throats.

Now, if you are all setup to cast and load for all your 44 guns, there would be no need to add a 41, as I consider them equal enough, if you reload and cast your own...so again, no need to buy a 41, unless you want to.

427smith
04-25-2017, 09:10 PM
got rid of my 41's back in the mid 80's I had a mod 58 smith and a 3 screw 6 1/2 ruger Blackhawk. I was casting and loading for 357 mag. 41mag, 44mag and 45 colt. I got tired of changing dies. keeping brass separate etc. A year ago this month the local gun shop had a 4 5/8 3 screw Blackhawk mint condition. made in 1967 for $500 offered them $450 and to my surprise I owned it. I'm shooting the heck out of it and sorry I sold my other 2

nagantguy
04-25-2017, 09:28 PM
Enablers one and all!!! Thank you truly for the good input; it's on the list,my list anyhow ,just got the wife's list and it includes new windows.... which cost slot more than I have to spend on guns; but it's been a good easy year for getting fire wood with the most damaging wind storm in state history last month so maybe after selling some cordage I can do both; guns and windows!

Texas by God
04-25-2017, 11:45 PM
My favorite revolver cartridge, period. .38 special is second. I don't own one at the moment but I'm looking for an older 4-5/8" Blackhawk at a decent price.

376Steyr
04-26-2017, 11:23 AM
Get a .41 Magnum, and then get some 41 Special cases from Starline brass. Put target/general purpose loads in the Special brass, magnum loads in Magnum brass. Life will be good.

Some folks claim that the Special cases produce better accuracy than the Magnum cases when used for sub-magnum loads. I don't know if that is necessarily true, but I can say that 220 cast Keith+7.0 Unique + Special brass gives me the best groups I've ever shot with my S&W 657.

Texas by God
04-26-2017, 03:55 PM
Get a .41 Magnum, and then get some 41 Special cases from Starline brass. Put target/general purpose loads in the Special brass, magnum loads in Magnum brass. Life will be good.
I bought Starline nickel plated brass for my full tilt hunting loads and my cast everyday loads were put up in regular brass.
I have a 3 screw(factory converted to transfer bar).357 that I may have converted to .41 special some day.

gwpercle
04-26-2017, 06:11 PM
I don't know , I just like it....it suits me.
My avatar is a model 58 S&W 41 magnum.
She's my baby and likes to go dancing. Extremely accurate with cast boolits. It's a keeper.
Gary

contender1
04-27-2017, 09:56 AM
Hard to add much to the above posts. I'll try.

If you have to ask why,,, you just don't understand.

Crazy Carl
04-27-2017, 08:03 PM
I've always been a .357 fan, but .41 is my go-to. Bought a DA 6.5" .44 years ago & hated it. Not fun at all & hard to shoot well. One of my dad's friends was a die hard .41 guy & let me shoot his .41 Blackhawk & I've been hooked ever since.

I realize my "collection" might seem pretty meager to most here, but of my 4 SA revolvers, 2 are .41s & I just got my mitts on a Henry .41 carbine. Very fun, very potent round & it's nothing for me to shoot 200-300 rounds per range session. I doubt it would "replace" anything in the OP's lineup, but will make a hell of a nice addition.

Drm50
04-27-2017, 09:32 PM
I bought a 58 when 1st out back in 60s and a Blackhawk when they came out. Later I bought a
57. I shoot a lot of revolvers. I have always had a bucket of 44 mags and shot them all the time.
I had a good many 357s also. Even today I have a couple 57s. I never saw much difference in the
41 & 44 mags. If you didn't own either one and was in the market for a magnum pistol either one
would be a good choice. Recoil is result of the weight of bullet and charge. Both can be loaded
up or down to match the other. So that arguement don't fly. So it is more personal choice than
a practical matter. Anymore I have been shooting 38sp 44sp & .45Colt more than any of the mags. I have seen where guys are having 41sp made up. Different strokes for different folks.194181194182

Bookworm
04-29-2017, 05:28 AM
I recently purchased my first 41 Mag, a non-converted 6.5" Blackhawk made in 1969. I haven't even fired it yet, using the past several weeks to gather the accoutrements needed to cast and load some rounds.
Oddly enough, I have owned loading dies for the 41 Mag for probably 10 years. I don't remember how or exactly when I acquired the dies. This marks the first time I've purchased a firearm to keep my already-owned dies company. Perhaps I had a sub-conscious plan all along.

I was hoping to shoot it today, but the weather is not cooperating - hail and heavy rain not being conducive to using my small outdoor range out behind the barn.

gwpercle
04-29-2017, 02:21 PM
I recently purchased my first 41 Mag, a non-converted 6.5" Blackhawk made in 1969. I haven't even fired it yet, using the past several weeks to gather the accoutrements needed to cast and load some rounds.
Oddly enough, I have owned loading dies for the 41 Mag for probably 10 years. I don't remember how or exactly when I acquired the dies. This marks the first time I've purchased a firearm to keep my already-owned dies company. Perhaps I had a sub-conscious plan all along.

I was hoping to shoot it today, but the weather is not cooperating - hail and heavy rain not being conducive to using my small outdoor range out behind the barn.

Buying dies does tend to lead to buying firearms for them.
I was given about 1000 once fired military 7.62 cases years ago, that lead to me buying dies , next I got a 30 cal. boolit mould (I have three other 30 cal. rifles) . I haven't found the rifle just yet , but I know the right deal will pop up...that's just the way things work out !
Gary

mold maker
04-29-2017, 04:01 PM
I had 2 sets of dies and over 600 pieces of brass, for many years, before ever finding a 41 to play with.
What in the heck took me so long? There are now several, and their my favorites. Less punishment for equal performance. What's not to love?

jetinteriorguy
04-29-2017, 05:07 PM
I will be buried with my 6" Model 57 I bought back in the early 80's. My 4" and my Henry will go to my son.

huntrick64
04-29-2017, 05:34 PM
I will be buried with my 6" Model 57 I bought back in the early 80's. My 4" and my Henry will go to my son.

Uh....Exactly where are you going to be buried? Wanna pay my respects, of course, with a shovel!!! Just kidding, I understand the connection.

JSnover
06-09-2017, 12:43 PM
I was actually looking 44 Magnum this week and there were none to be had at the gun shops near me. The last place had a 5.5" Redhawk in .41 and I thought, "why not?"
Sounds like I made a good choice, even though the Blackhawks and 57s appear to be more common.

Art in Colorado
06-09-2017, 08:57 PM
I have been a fan since 1967. My Air Force room mate in Pinedale Wyoming scored a 4 5/8" three screw Ruger and we shot a bunch of rock chucks with it . He was killed in South East Asia in 1969 and that married me to the 41 Mag ever since. Had S&W 657's and even a Freedom Arms Model 83. Now have a no dash S&W 57. I have sold my 44's and just have the 41 and a S&W 686-3. Only keeping the 357 for a family member who loves it and it will be her's when I am done. The 41 Mag in my opinion is the the perfect revolver round to have. The need for any thing more powerfull is a rifle.

chuckbuster
06-09-2017, 09:36 PM
Full Disclosure, I DID NOT read all the posts above. Sort of skimmed them. I am a .41 Nut. As for enabling how's this.

Nagantguy, I know you are in Michigan, I forget where but we are sort of neighbors if I remember correctly. I am in Jackson County. I have several Ruger variations along with a Marlin Cowboy 1894 and a Henry. If we can make schedules etc match I would be willing to bring the guns and ammo, you can shoot what intrigues you.
For completely NON-GUN Related reasons a couple are even available so maybe you better plan to bring your CPL Purchase Form and some cash :)
by the way The Whitetail in my Avatar was killed with the 6.5" Blue Blackhawk .41 I am holding
Kevin

arlon
06-10-2017, 12:54 AM
As long as you're a reloader the .41 is a gem. If you aren't 100% into reloading, stick with the .44s.

RJM52
06-10-2017, 09:22 AM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?276144-41-Magnum-41-Special-Load-Data-Center

LUCKYDAWG13
06-10-2017, 04:12 PM
I was actually looking 44 Magnum this week and there were none to be had at the gun shops near me. The last place had a 5.5" Redhawk in .41 and I thought, "why not?"
Sounds like I made a good choice, even though the Blackhawks and 57s appear to be more common.
Hey congrats I thing you will like it

Texas by God
06-11-2017, 09:50 AM
A 220 gr Lee swc(discontinued) over 9 grs Unique was my everyday farm carry load in the 4-5/8" OM Blackhawk I had as a young whippersnapper.

Scharfschuetze
06-11-2017, 12:03 PM
Count me in on the .41 band wagon. I've been loading and shooting for a Model 58 since my LEO days. It's just the perfect melding of power and shootability. My favorite load mimics the old police load of a 210 grain SWC (swaged) at about 1,000 fps. I use the 210 grain RCBS SWC bullet over 8 grains of Unique for about 900 fps out of my 4" barrel. It's 38 Special accurate; yet in the N Frame S&W, still very comfortable to shoot.

JSnover,

Regarding that Redhawk in 41, I'd have bought that in a minute. Lucky you!

derek45
06-11-2017, 06:33 PM
41 mag is really neat

The only downside is less bullet choices than 357 or 44

richhodg66
06-11-2017, 08:36 PM
You guys need to stop. There's a nice long barreled Black Hawk in .41 nearby and I've been fighting the urge to trade something off for it. I need to load and cast for another cartridge like I need a hole in my head, but something about the .41 intrigues me.

If I own that revolver soon, I'm holding all of you responsible, LOL.

barebow60
06-11-2017, 10:43 PM
Get it, you won't regret it. There is something magical about .41's -mike

30calflash
07-16-2017, 10:22 AM
I don't know , I just like it....it suits me.
My avatar is a model 58 S&W 41 magnum.
She's my baby and likes to go dancing. Extremely accurate with cast boolits. It's a keeper.
Gary

Just picked up a model 58, looking forward to shooting it later today.

What loads have you used in it in the past?

My other is an 8 3/8 model 57, used for silhouettes when it was popular. Don't need 200m loads for the 58.

Charliemac
07-16-2017, 12:34 PM
Life is too short to worry about getting a new revolver. If you can afford it and you want it, get it and enjoy it.

rintinglen
07-16-2017, 03:03 PM
Let me throw a bucket of reality in here. Aficionados have made the 41 sound as if it were the better, second coming of chocoate ice cream. Tain't so.

A good 41 is about almost as good as a good 44. But there it stops. You can type till your fingers fall off, but you are not going to change the fact that nothing is going on with the 41. It lingers on as a specialty piece but mold availability, ammo availability, component availability and even gun availability all favor the 44. I dare say there are 10 44 magnums for every 41 magnum out there--maybe more.
Any gun that is available as a 41 is also available as a 44. If you just want to be different, go for it. I'm partial to red heads myself, but don't claim magical benefits from co-habiting with one. Like wise, don't fall for the amazing claims of excellence. Buy one or three if you want to, but be honest and say "because I want to, and because I can." Not that there is some amazing property that only the 41 has.

Now the 327, there's something special.

Driver33
07-16-2017, 08:19 PM
I really like my .41mag. But I like having oddballs . Friends can't bum ammo when they run through what they bring over to shoot

Greg G
07-29-2017, 12:21 AM
When I was old enough to buy a gun I wanted a Model 29, but the gun store was sold out of them. Everybody wanted one. They *did* had a Model 57 in the display, a 6" nickel, and I couldn't pass on it. It's a great caliber. I have 29's now too, and even a Pre-29 made in 1957, but I'll never get rid of my 57's. I really like them.

GLynn41
07-29-2017, 11:12 AM
Popularity and availability, or likability does not make the .44 or .41 better-- a deer or hog -- is not likely to know it was shot with a .429 or a .41 bullet-- - I live in West Ten and find .41 stuff is easy-- that is all i can speak to... no doubt the .44/429 is more popular
I currently have a 500 GNR -- after shooting
that the .41& 429 are two peas in a pod-
i have the .41's mostly because I was given a lot of .41 stuff and happened to have a 6.5" Bhawk--I got laid off and sold my .44 -- and have stayed with the.41 since then-- it was fine by me-- and have used up to 296 grain cast or 275 gr hp-- in my DWA they were good
I have had a .454 /.45 Colt but in the end the .41 was & is fine for me-- actually if the .475 had been around in the 70's I doubt I would have ever used a .41 or .44 ;)

JSH
07-29-2017, 07:51 PM
I was a late starter on the 41 magnum. If I had started with the 41 magnum rather than the 44, I doubt I would have looked much farther. I listened to a lot of folks that at the time, I thought they knew what they were talking about. A bunch of parrots for the most part, repeating what they had heard.

Not to get off track, why is the 327 somthing special?
I have a couple, but they don't come close to what I can do with my 32-20 of a modern platform. A nice cartridge, is what the 32 mag should have been, yet it wants to be what the 32-20 can do.
Jeff

bob208
07-29-2017, 08:46 PM
i have a few of them a round here all 3 screw rugers. they all shoot great. in fact if I was to be dropped in the middle of no where I could do quite well with one. but then I could say the same about the .357 the .44 or even a .45 colt. but it is nice to have another useful caliber to use shoot and load for.

Scharfschuetze
07-29-2017, 10:57 PM
I really like my .41mag. But I like having oddballs . Friends can't bum ammo when they run through what they bring over to shoot

The .41 magnum is getting to be an "odd" round outside of our circle or like minded shooters. Even during its police use in the 70s and 80s, it has really only been a "niche" round for dyed in the wool aficionados.

Larry Gibson
07-30-2017, 06:34 PM
I like the .41 Magnum and have for many years. I don't try to make my .357 Magnum a .41 Magnum and I don't try to make my .41 Magnum a 44 Magnum. I appreciate and use each for their intended capabilities.

missionary5155
07-30-2017, 09:19 PM
Greetings
Some time around 1980 bought the first 41 Mag a Dan Wesson. Then later realized with the 45 Colts about the 44 (43 mag) was right in the middle of those two calibers. So out went the so called 44's. No regrets !
Only 44's in our cabinet are the fine 44 Specials we like so much.
Still have all the 41 mags we ever bought. Something about that caliber just seems to fit what we need to get done. And thanks to Henry Rifles we can each have a 41 mag carbine to make very personal.
Mike in Peru

Shooter6br
07-30-2017, 09:39 PM
My "Bucket list" was a Smith 25-2 in 45 ACP. Got a 657 6 in in 1986 . "Buy the best you can and cry only once"

osteodoc08
07-30-2017, 09:53 PM
When I was old enough to buy a gun I wanted a Model 29, but the gun store was sold out of them. Everybody wanted one. They *did* had a Model 57 in the display, a 6" nickel, and I couldn't pass on it. It's a great caliber. I have 29's now too, and even a Pre-29 made in 1957, but I'll never get rid of my 57's. I really like them.

Exactly as my father came to the 41. His was a 6" no dash. I have several
Now.

nagantguy
07-30-2017, 10:16 PM
Another deal just fell through; I have a wish for one,the means to buy one it just everyone I look at someone else seems to need much worse than me! O well some times the hunt for the thing is as good or better than the thing.

cainttype
08-01-2017, 06:32 PM
The 41 Mag is a great round. It can, and will, perform outstandingly in every reasonable condition you might conceive.
Arguements in favor, or against, any cartridge or firearm are easy to spew out.
Anyone that doesn't recognize the 41 Mag as an excellent all-around choice in a medium-to-large bore pistol cartridge (including any medium game you might define) is simply someone that knows nothing about the round, and shouldn't be taken seriously.

sixshot
08-02-2017, 12:44 AM
Shoot a 250 gr. bullet in both & tell me something could live on the difference. There is a difference but it's very, very small. I guess that's why they make chocolate & vanilla......so we have a choice!

Dick

RJM52
08-02-2017, 09:08 AM
Just picked up a model 58, looking forward to shooting it later today.

What loads have you used in it in the past?

My other is an 8 3/8 model 57, used for silhouettes when it was popular. Don't need 200m loads for the 58.

8.0 grains of Unique with a good cast 210-220 grain bullet will duplicate the original factory POLICE load at 950+- fps... Very VERY accurate and easy on the hand.

Also shoot a Keith HP with 9.0 grains for 1100 fps for a round that will expand and 10.0 for 1180 with a PentaPoint for hunting with the Smiths...

Bob

Scharfschuetze
08-02-2017, 05:45 PM
8.0 grains of Unique with a good cast 210-220 grain bullet will duplicate the original factory POLICE load at 950+- fps... Very VERY accurate and easy on the hand.

That's good advice and it's also about all I shoot out of my Model 58.

30calflash
08-03-2017, 12:38 PM
I'll try the 8 Gr Unique load this weekend. I have some Albert swaged 210's that I loaded with 5.0 Gr Bullseye, easy on the recoil and were able to lob some in at 100 yds. Prolly 800 FPS??

Larry Gibson
08-03-2017, 02:25 PM
That's good advice and it's also about all I shoot out of my Model 58.

8 gr Unique.....same as I use with the Lee TL41-210-SWC and the RCBS 41-210-KT........great load.

Larry Gibson
08-03-2017, 02:33 PM
I'll try the 8 Gr Unique load this weekend. I have some Albert swaged 210's that I loaded with 5.0 Gr Bullseye, easy on the recoil and were able to lob some in at 100 yds. Prolly 800 FPS??

Might be worth a try but I wouldn't load too many initially as 8 gr Unique may be a bit much for a soft swaged bullet as leading my become an issue. Velocities with 210 - 220 gr harder cast ran 950 - 990 fps out of my 4" M57 and 58s. Runs 1050 - 1100 fps out of my 7 1/2" Ruger Bisley.

30calflash
08-03-2017, 07:22 PM
I've some cast commercial and my own cast also, just need to work within the limits of each for now. IIRC some of the RCBS and some gas checked from a Lyman #.

RJM52
08-05-2017, 07:40 AM
Might be worth a try but I wouldn't load too many initially as 8 gr Unique may be a bit much for a soft swaged bullet as leading my become an issue. Velocities with 210 - 220 gr harder cast ran 950 - 990 fps out of my 4" M57 and 58s. Runs 1050 - 1100 fps out of my 7 1/2" Ruger Bisley.

I was thinking the exact same thing.... Alberts were always very soft and would lead very quickly if pushed... The Hornady swaged will do the same...

Bob

RJM52
08-05-2017, 07:44 AM
See that's my problem; I have many things in 44 and have loads all over the map, from real light special to fast "Keith " specials to low end mags just above where you can take the special to full bore crazy 320 grain monsters and have settled on a 265 swc over h110 as my all day everyday walking/deer hunting load and couldn't be happier; do I need a 41,no can I do anything with it I can't already do,nope. I'd have to buy new molds and dies and gas checks, but I still want one

The nice thing about buying a .41 is that you can rid of all the .357s and .44s....

If you look over on the Favorite Caliber Board there is a sticky on .41s...

Bob

Lloyd Smale
08-05-2017, 09:10 AM
Never saw the big attraction to it. Ive owned quite a few of them and other then 357s the 41s seem to be the first thing that goes down the road when a trade comes up. Not a bad round, not a poor killer of deer sized game. Its just that it does absolutely nothing that the 44 mag or 45 colt don't do better. Some say less recoil but id bet you if I took an N frame 4 inch 41 and 44 to the range and loaded them both with factory ammo and blind folded you and had you shoot them two minutes apart you couldn't tell the difference. If there is a difference the 44 with the same weight bullet can be loaded down to the same exact recoil level and be shoot as fast of faster. I still own a couple 41s. A clements build old model 357 frame done in a 4 5/8s 41 and an old 58 smith. I keep those two because there kind of cool. But for a hunting gun give me a 44 any day over a 41. Especially when the game gets bigger then whitetail.

GLynn41
08-05-2017, 11:27 AM
For what it is worth; a friend of mine had two 7.5" Redhawks -- one was a .41 and one was a 44.
Loads .41 --22 gr H110 210 Hornady
.44 24 H110 240 Hornady - I watched Him shoot and he watched me-- we were just having fun 25 years ago--never thought about a comparison He said "is it just me or does the .44 kick a lot more.. ?" It was the same for me-- muzzle climb was greater in the .44 well duh
you can not say the 44 out performs the .41 and then say it kicks the same- for normal guys with out .475 or 500 yes there is a difference .
after shooting my son's 500 GNR ( which quickly gets to be far more than I want an yes I know it is very much below .475 LineB or the 500 LineB-- or what ever) :) I have no interest in those at full power . A .500 370 gr @ 1100 is plenty-it will go much higher- personally I am content with my .41's both OEM platforms and wildcats-- in revolvers, TC and soon a lever action rifle. .. As a wise man once said "a man has got to know his limitations." C Eastwood

30calflash
08-05-2017, 04:03 PM
I've a 57 for years, never shot it much other than silhouettes. Liked it but had others...

Picked up an M58 and didn't want it to lie in a drawer. Been out with it twice and will again tomorrow, weather and time permitting.

Still like the 44's, 357's et al. They each can have a place or job that it does well.