PDA

View Full Version : Load development question

Cowboy_Dan
04-24-2017, 01:53 AM
So, I have been working up a load for my Yugoslav M59-66 SKS-patern rifle. If it matters, which I suspect it might, I have been working this load with the gas port closed (grenade launcher mode).

First step was to try various loads a grain apart of AA1680 in individual 10-shot groups. Step two was to pick the best three loads (all sequential, fortuitously) and reshoot them and the half-grain intermediates into similar 10-shot groups.

Question now is what's next? I have chosen an acceptable, albeit large-ish grouping, load from Step 2 which is 1/2 grain off of the Step 1 winner, so consistent. The boolit is seated to an arbitrary point and I have an 8-lber of AA1680, so I am inclined to think seating depth, but am I decieving myself because I have a good stash of AA1680 (I chose it because I had 8 lbs of it)?

GhostHawk
04-24-2017, 08:34 AM
Well first off you have to ask yourself what you want to do with that load.
Then make an informed WAG about what kind of accuracy is acceptable.

For me when I started playing with mine. I chose the Lee .312 185 gr Gas checked bullet. I also knew I did not need 2300 fps to be happy. So I backed off the powder looking for roughly 1600 fps.

I chose 4895 as it would let me use light loads. I happened to have IMR but I guessed they were close enough that it would work.

I ended up at 20 grains of IMR 4895 under that 185 gr gas checked bullet lubed first with Ben's Red, then BR with a top coat of Ben's Liquid Lube. And now with just 3 light coats of BLL.

At 50 yards with iron sights I can pick out and hit a quarter sized fragment of clay pigeon. Which with these old eyes is not so bad. Report and recoil is mild but those hammers hit hard on the far end. I had a AR500 8" plate that I regularly tipped over with just 2 shots. And it was hitting hard enough that it was knocking the paint off the back side of the steel.

Good enough for me.

Try opening the gas port and see what happens.

Love my straight pull Yugo Bolt rifle.

runfiverun
04-24-2017, 10:20 AM
the next step is to decide what you really want from the rifle.
more accuracy?
if so then playing with boolit diameter and BHN and the lube is your next step.
100% operation?
then moving to a slower powder that provides lower pressure but more gas volume initially is your next step.
or you decide what you got is goodnuff and your next step it to collect more soup cans for the berm.

Gee_Wizz01
04-24-2017, 01:37 PM
You didn't say what boolits your using. I use the Lee 312-155 with a gc lubes with alox 50/50 sized . .313. I use 16 grn of 1680 and I get 5 shot groups at 50yds that run about 1 1/8". At 10pyds the groups run about 3 1/2". This about as good as any SKS that I have will shoot with commercial are mil ammo. I remove the gas piston so that I don't have to Chase brass.
GW

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Cowboy_Dan
04-26-2017, 02:15 AM
the next step is to decide what you really want from the rifle.
more accuracy?
if so then playing with boolit diameter and BHN and the lube is your next step.
100% operation?
then moving to a slower powder that provides lower pressure but more gas volume initially is your next step.
or you decide what you got is goodnuff and your next step it to collect more soup cans for the berm.

Thanks for breaking it down, Run. You can see details of what I've tried below. Maybe try water dropping? Any further development would be to wring any further accuracy out of the load. As is, it would make for an adequate deer load out to 50 yards or so, but better is better. Side note, I don't really care if it cycles the action, I'll work for that with my Blackout.

You didn't say what boolits your using. I use the Lee 312-155 with a gc lubes with alox 50/50 sized . .313. I use 16 grn of 1680 and I get 5 shot groups at 50yds that run about 1 1/8". At 10pyds the groups run about 3 1/2". This about as good as any SKS that I have will shoot with commercial are mil ammo. I remove the gas piston so that I don't have to Chase brass.
GW

GW, I am also using the Lee 312-155, ACWW + some Sn, gas check installed. I've tried it powder coated at about .3135 and lubed with Lar's 50/50 Alox at .314. Didn't see much a difference between those two. Best load yet has been with 18.5 of 1680, about 1.75" for 10 shots at 50 yards. Haven't shot it at 100, yet.

Cowboy_Dan
04-26-2017, 02:20 AM
And GhostHawk, I do plan to see what that 185 gr boolit can do in my Yugo, but that is a project for later.

Oklahoma Rebel
04-27-2017, 05:22 PM
ghosthawk has good info, I use the 185 gr lee also, but I use 16.5gr of rel7, and I think 20gr for the 155grlee. I plan on getting some h4895 to try ghost's load. oh I also use imr4198 with good results for both boolits, but I don't have the info for it handy. ghosthawk, with the 185gr lee and h4895, where do you think that load falls between starting load and max? just curious. good luck to you cowboy dan! Travis