PDA

View Full Version : Need some info on this old Redding scale

SARuger
04-23-2017, 07:26 PM
I bought this not because I need it, but I wanted it! I have 2 RS1's and a RS2, but this is similar to a #1 but doesn't have the oil reservoir and the beam is brass.

Its an older Redding, before the RS1 and "oil dampening". How old is it? Who made it?

richmanpoorman
04-23-2017, 08:49 PM
Good old scale. Oil damping was a gimmick, the proper use of a scale is to not wait for the beam to stop.

daboone
04-23-2017, 09:12 PM
It is an excellent scale. It is oil dampened but I've found old fashioned "3 in 0ne" doesn't creep over the top and get all over the base or effect the pivots. I've had mine since 1972 when my dad quit reloading. Just be sure to clean every exposed inch of it with dish detergent and a soft toothbrush before using. Like any scale a proper set of scale weights will give you confidence. I do kinda agree, once you get comfortable with it, it's OK to eyeball the weight before the beam comes to a complete stop. This scale is a bit slower than for instance a 505 as it is not magnetically dampened.

SARuger
04-23-2017, 09:13 PM
I prefer the hydraulic dampening over the magnetic dampening to be honest. Its quicker and smooth.

However, I know what you are saying, a gentle touch doesn't cause the scale to fluctuate.

SARuger
04-23-2017, 09:15 PM
It is an excellent scale. It is oil dampened but I've found old fashioned "3 in 0ne" doesn't creep over the top and get all over the base or effect the pivots. I've had mine since 1972 when my dad quit reloading. Just be sure to clean every exposed inch of it with dish detergent and a soft toothbrush before using. Like any scale a proper set of scale weights will give you confidence. I do kinda agree, once you get comfortable with it, it's OK to eyeball the weight before the beam comes to a complete stop. This scale is a bit slower than for instance a 505 as it is not magnetically dampened.

This scale does not have a oil reservoir or the paddle hanging below the beam. The area below the pivot is solid.

Alstep
04-23-2017, 09:40 PM
That's a great scale, it'll never wear out if taken care of. I have the oil damper model, bought it new in the mid 50's when I got started loading. Box is marked $14.00. Contrary to what others have said, the oil dampening feature works great for me. Been using it continuously for 60 years. With that brass beam, yours pre-dates mine. Why not give Redding a call?

too many things
04-23-2017, 10:14 PM
check down in vintage reloading tools, pressman has pics and info

SARuger
04-23-2017, 11:11 PM
check down in vintage reloading tools, pressman has pics and info

Wow! I didn't even know that forum was here! There goes the rest of the night carousing that gem!

So according to Pressman, I have a1949 Redding #1!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?330663-Redding-Scale&p=3997464&viewfull=1#post3997464

C.F.Plinker
04-24-2017, 09:17 AM
This scale does not have a oil reservoir or the paddle hanging below the beam. The area below the pivot is solid.

Since it doesn't have a paddle, will the beam swing up and down when you are near the balance point for the object you are wieghing or does the beam just go from all the way down to all the way up?

SARuger
04-24-2017, 09:30 AM
Since it doesn't have a paddle, will the beam swing up and down when you are near the balance point for the object you are wieghing or does the beam just go from all the way down to all the way up?

I don't have it in my hands yet, it's in the mail. Maybe tomorrow or Wednesday

Maven
04-24-2017, 10:51 AM
I had one very much like that except the scale pan was brass. The underside of the scale said Pelouze was the manufacturer. They're still in business and still make scales, though not for reloading.

SARuger
04-24-2017, 08:25 PM
I got the scales today. This set of scales are in great condition!