PDA

View Full Version : "Best" Stand Alone Priming Tool?

308Jeff
04-23-2017, 06:41 PM
Thought about making this a poll, but there's too many options out there.

I don't mind priming pistol on the progressive, but I prefer to prime my rifle brass off the press.

I'm partial to a discontinued and borrowed-time tool, but I'd like to hear what ya'll are liking.

Thinking a balance of feel, speed, consistency, and reliability.

Hick
04-23-2017, 06:58 PM
RCBS Hand Primer. I like it so much I bought another so that I have one dedicated to large primers and one dedicated to small primers. Over 20,000 primers installed so far without a problem.

M-Tecs
04-23-2017, 07:01 PM
RCBS Automatic Bench Priming Tool https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/457599/rcbs-automatic-bench-priming-tool?cm_mmc=pf_ci_bing-_-Reloading+-+Metallic+Reloading+Equipment+%28Not+Presses%29-_-RCBS-_-457599

Used on since the early 70's

Jniedbalski
04-23-2017, 07:23 PM
I liked my old lee round priming tool. I have loaded thousands and thousands of rounds ,pistol and rifle with it. It's at least 20 years old and getting worn out. The plastic tray where the seating rod goes up and down is getting oblong and not round any more. You have to be carful when seating primers so they don't go in crooked. I tried the new lee lawyer approved primer tool and it just doesn't work good. I am also looking for a good hand primer tool

gwpercle
04-23-2017, 08:07 PM
The "Best" doesn't come cheap , so if price is not an object , the Sinclair Priming Tool claims to be the "World's Finest". I've looked at one but could never afford the $120.00 price tag. They look and feel very nice. Maybe when my Lee tool wears out and I win the lottery .
Gary

GOPHER SLAYER
04-23-2017, 08:22 PM
I have two of the old Lee hand priming tools that I use and like them very much. A friend gave me an RCBS but it was too uncomfortable for my smaller hands so we parted company.

VHoward
04-23-2017, 08:25 PM
The "Best" is also subjective for each person. For me, I like the RCBS bench mounted automatic priming tool. I have the Lee Ergo Prime which works well, but not as good as the RCBS. There is the best for me.

Artful
04-23-2017, 09:24 PM
Hmm, let us see
My Most used is Lee Auto Prime round tray
http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mz-2hQAfy5IN-K_CartKXYg.jpg
- disadvantages they ain't made anymore
but you can still find them on the internet (ebay) or some gun shops with old stock.
No cutoff on the tray and the cover over times gets brittle and warps so doesn't stay on
the tool as well (fix with rubber band), you can fix the ram arm from Lee "ergo" tool.
You have to have special shell holders for the Lee tools
http://leeprecision.com/images/C/APShellHolders.jpg

Next most used is the RCBS universal hand prime tool.
http://images.cabelas.com/is/image/Cabelas/s7_216103_imageset_01?
Advantage no shell holders needed
but it doesn't feel as good in my hand as the lee. Oh another advantage is RCBS customer
service - I broke a part and lost a part and they just sent new parts without charge - AWESOME.

Bottom of my hand tools is
Lee Ergo
http://www.butchsreloading.com/shop/247-large_default/lee-ergo-hand-priming-tool.jpg
Doesn't feel good and doesn't work as well as Original Auto Prime.

Bench mounted I have
Forster primer tool
http://www.forsterproducts.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/primer-seater.jpg
Doesn't use shell holders, the flipper tray is built in so you want to mount to a
block of wood, little finicky about alignment but once adjusted works well.

I can use the dillon seater without issue but my preferred is course
is
1) Decap cases and clean
2) Inspection and them prime
3) run thru Dillon to size, flare, powder charge, seat, crimp or remove flare

SARuger
04-23-2017, 09:32 PM
I have the Frankford Arsenal hand primer and it works very good, comes with the shell holders. I DON'T like the shell holders, they are cheaply made. I bought the Lee shell holder set to go with mine, I haven't tried them yet, will let you know if they work.

reivertom
04-23-2017, 10:18 PM
I have two of the old Lee hand priming tools that I use and like them very much. A friend gave me an RCBS but it was too uncomfortable for my smaller hands so we parted company.

THIS^^^ Lee! Cheap and works!

jmort
04-23-2017, 11:09 PM
I have been using the Lee Bench Prime of late
Have the RCBS bench primer and
And fleet of the old round trays and some others, Ram Prime, Lee Ergo etc.
For around $30 the Lee Bench Prime is my current favorite.

Greg S
04-23-2017, 11:18 PM
Gwpercile, a friend has the sinclair, not good for mixed brass. Nice for one lot with uniformed pri er pockets. The ram is adjusted for stroke and it is a repeatable cush/seat on each cartridge. If different length of stroke are needed i.e. mixed brass or un-uniformed pockets the final crush/seat pressure will vary. You can achieve that with an RCBS or Lee hand primer.

I've got an older rcbs bench primer, one at a time that can be adjusted simularly to consistant crush or by feel as a hand primer. I was looking at the primer strip model but rcbs is doing away with the strips plus, you need the load to load the empty strips.

Drew P
04-23-2017, 11:33 PM
Well I didn't know about it until recently but this cps priming tool seems like it fits the bill for "the best" but I'll never know at $600. Does looks slick though.

I tried the Forster bonanza bench unit and found it to be a complete joke. I now use the rcbs bench primer and it's good, real good, but still has room for improvement for sure.

OS OK
04-23-2017, 11:45 PM
OK...so I'm for the bench model but I did keep my Lee hand priming tools too...one set up in LP's and one for SP's.

But...if you have old aged hands, the bench model is easiest on them.

HeavyMetal
04-23-2017, 11:53 PM
I have the RCBS bench prime tool, used the Lee hand primer for years but between primers size being "off" and my hands getting a little shop worn I've gone to the RCBS tool with much glee.

Got the Lee bench primer to, seems to need a little work to move primers along but very easy to seat them right once you can get a primer out of the try, LOL!

DougGuy
04-23-2017, 11:55 PM
I tried the new Lee Bench Priming Tool and it lasted about a day and got sent back, worse than priming on the Load Master. Couldn't believe anything could do that but it did. Went back to the Lee Ergo prime hand primer with square tray. The new fold up flipper tray is pretty crappy too, sad to say.

What I WISH for, is a foot operated cable pull for the Lee so you don't wear your hands out in a session priming 300-400 cases. Leaves the tool free to be shaken which is necessary to keep primers feeding reliably, you could still "feel" the primer seat to the bottom of the pocket.

Drew P
04-24-2017, 12:02 AM
Now hold on, here's an express version of the cps, press mounted. This looks very promising. 159$

I do like how my bench mounted unit isn't bench mounted. This wood arrangement (purple heart in this case) makes a very portable and solid unit that I sometimes bring inside to use.
For me the cons on the rcbs unit is the thwapping primer tube in your face, the fact that the last few primers in the tube are more than likely to fly out and away, and yes I consider filling primer tubes a flaw. There must be a way to overcome that.

jmort
04-24-2017, 12:20 AM
The CPS system may well be the best
Someday possibly, I will find out

Bmi48219
04-24-2017, 12:21 AM
For $25.00 the Lee Bench is the best money I've spent. Yesterday I primed 500 9 mm, 300 45 acp (LPP) & 200 .30 carbine, took less than 3 hours, one SPP started to seat sideways. My fault for not paying attention. Never had a LPP go sideways. This tool has well over 9000 primers through it. No more than 9 wasted total, and even those were avoidable if I had been watching. Like everything else, if we expect things to work perfectly, we have to do the same.

Three44s
04-24-2017, 01:45 AM
I like my RCBS hand held tool that uses regular shell holders .... the holder does have to be of the newer manufacture ........ you can tell if it's the right one if it has the bevel on the underside of it where the new primer rises through it.

I am told that if you send the old style to RCBS they will replace it ........... (for free I believe).

Once I get them all seated, I inspect them and if I need to push any of them deeper ........ I break out my RCBS bench tool of the Lachmyer style ...... the one with the cam in it.

Three 44s

SARuger
04-24-2017, 05:16 AM
I tried Redding's "slide prime" on a Big Boss press. That is the best priming system I have used so far. I bought the slide prime unit for my older Boss, but it will not work. I'm looking for a good deal on a Big Boss or Big Boss 2.

Kevin Rohrer
04-24-2017, 05:59 AM
Another oft-asked question.

The Lee is the most popular and the one I use. Just buy extra pieces when the pot-metal breaks.

Tried the RCBS unit that uses separate shell holders. I continually lost tiny pieces trying to assemble it and gave-up. What a piece of Dreck; RCBS should be ashamed to sell the ***. :x

Shawlerbrook
04-24-2017, 06:08 AM
RCBS Automatic Bench Priming Tool https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/457599/rcbs-automatic-bench-priming-tool?cm_mmc=pf_ci_bing-_-Reloading+-+Metallic+Reloading+Equipment+%28Not+Presses%29-_-RCBS-_-457599

I'll vote for this ^^^^^^^^^

Lloyd Smale
04-24-2017, 07:33 AM
my vote goes to the old lee hand primer. Ive primed 100s of thousands of pieces of brass with them. Tried others that were more expensive and kept coming back to the lee.

GhostHawk
04-24-2017, 08:16 AM
RCBS Universal hand tool, and if you buy one buy 2 so never have to fuss changing.

Not that with a little practice changing is hard, cause it isn't. But for me it is the only fly in the oinment.

No messing with shell holders, switch from .444 marlin to 9mm it don't care. But if you don't buy 2 you do have to switch the internals out.

Solid cast aluminum handle, solid linkage, and in almost 4 years I have not had a problem with mine.

ioon44
04-24-2017, 08:25 AM
I still use the RCBS Bench Priming Tool I got in the 1970's for rifle loads but all of my pistol loads are primed on my 550.

Ole Joe Clarke
04-24-2017, 09:01 AM
My priming tools.

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad123/olejoeclark/Reloading/20160324_143114_zpsvk4tcidj.jpg (http://s928.photobucket.com/user/olejoeclark/media/Reloading/20160324_143114_zpsvk4tcidj.jpg.html)

Have a blessed day.

farmerjim
04-24-2017, 09:39 AM
RCBS hand prime (not universal)
It's fast and easy.

mozeppa
04-24-2017, 09:47 AM
i have 4 rcbs APS machines....each is bolted to a piece of 4" long 3" square steel tube.

they are stored on the wall until needed ....i grab one, lock the square tube in the bench vise. and rock & roll!

i've done 5000 primed brass in 6 hours

blikseme300
04-24-2017, 09:53 AM
Hand priming tools work well if your hands are up to it. Arthritis and then CTS in both hands put a stop to my using the old style Lee units. The RCBS bench tool is what I now use and it works perfectly. For filling the tubes I use a Frankford Arsenal vibra prime.

375supermag
04-24-2017, 10:25 AM
Hi...

I have used the RCBS APS bench-mounted priming system ever since it was first made available.
It does require that the strips be in good condition and that it be kept reasonably clean but it works well.
I have primed untold thousands of cases on mine over the years and will use it as long as I can continue to get new strips when the ones I have wear out.

dverna
04-24-2017, 10:27 AM
Hand priming tools work well if your hands are up to it. Arthritis and then CTS in both hands put a stop to my using the old style Lee units. The RCBS bench tool is what I now use and it works perfectly. For filling the tubes I use a Frankford Arsenal vibra prime.

Same here. Old age sucks. Got the RCBS a few months ago and it works well.

SARuger
04-24-2017, 12:59 PM

I've been looking at the vibra prime. Is it worth the money?

blikseme300
04-24-2017, 02:00 PM

Some people swear by it, others swear at it. I do did some tweaking with a blade to get rid of mold flash but that's all. I use mostly CCI primers, large and small, and they seem to work better than the Federal LPP I had. I also needed to hold and squeeze the tray and unit a bit to make it work. No biggie once learned.

Once I figured how to hold it, along with my mouth, I can fill a tube with 100 primers in about 10 seconds. It's not a perfect piece of equipment but with some patience I made it work for me. There is no going back for me. I am currently recovering from CTS surgery on my weak hand but will carry on with my hobbies as well as life.

Learning to adapt and use other tools to get things done colors your perspective and choices. What works well for others my not be for you because of physical limitations. This does not make any of those tools inferior, they just don't fit you.

prestonj12
04-24-2017, 04:58 PM
The old Lee hand primer worked great. I have a new one with the square primer tray. Not near as good as the old round one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dragon813gt
04-24-2017, 05:11 PM
I prefer the Lee Safety Prime over all others. I know it's press mounted but it's the quickest and easiest to use for me. I have four different version of the Lee hand primer. I have the RCBS hand primer. I think I have a few others. I don't like any of them. I'm young and it hurts my hands over long sessions. I can't imagine someone w/ arthritis using them.

Green Frog
04-24-2017, 06:10 PM
If I am priming ONLY, I like the very old LEE aluminum tools with the screw-in shell holders and the old Lyman tool that uses the J-type shell holders and came with the old wax bullet loading sets.

For rifles, I frequently prefer to de-cap and re-cap at the same time, so I use one of the old style tools emulating the ones made by the likes of Pope and Schoyen for schuetzen use around the turn of the last century. As somebody already said above, it depends on you and what you are comfortable with and want to do.

Froggie

poacherjo
04-24-2017, 08:36 PM
I used to use the old bench mount" Bonanza " priming press now it's owned by Forester and then I went to the RCBS bench mount but now I either use the 550 press or the RCBS hand tool. I can feel the primer go in the best with the hand tool and it's fast

Morgan61
04-24-2017, 08:54 PM
I still use the RCBS hand primer that came with the Rockchucker press that I bought 12 years ago.

hermans
04-25-2017, 08:44 AM
RCBS bench mounted unit, been using that for the last 25 years or so for all my rifle reloading, great feel when seating the primer, made from steel, so should outlast me for sure.

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-25-2017, 09:14 AM
I prefer the Lee Safety Prime over all others. I know it's press mounted but it's the quickest and easiest to use for me. I have four different version of the Lee hand primer. I have the RCBS hand primer. I think I have a few others. I don't like any of them. I'm young and it hurts my hands over long sessions. I can't imagine someone w/ arthritis using them.
Of the few different tools I've tried, I also prefer the Lee safety Prime, mounted on the Classic cast turret or the classic cast single stage. The handle is adjustable 360º, so I have found that if I adjust it, just so, where the handle ends up near the rear support post when the primer is being seated, you can grasp that post with your fingers, while your palm is still on the handle, you get incredible good "feel" during seating and all the machanical advantage of the linkage to eliminate any fatigue.

But, as far as the OP's question, I prefer the Lee hand primer with round tray for "off-press" priming...is it the BEST? IDK? I do know it's obsolete as far as Lee is concerned, and they no longer sell replacement parts that were specific to that design, so I will buy up any of those units, when I see them at the gunshows...I've probably accumulated a lifetime supply...especially since I do 99% of my primer installation on the Lee classic Turret.

Sakoluvr
04-25-2017, 09:19 AM
My priming tools.

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad123/olejoeclark/Reloading/20160324_143114_zpsvk4tcidj.jpg (http://s928.photobucket.com/user/olejoeclark/media/Reloading/20160324_143114_zpsvk4tcidj.jpg.html)

Have a blessed day.

No need to clamp the primer down with that set-up Ole Joe? I have mine screwed to a piece of wood but C clamp it to my bench when I use it. Great idea that I may just have to copy.

Drew P
04-25-2017, 11:31 AM
No need to clamp the primer down with that set-up Ole Joe? I have mine screwed to a piece of wood but C clamp it to my bench when I use it. Great idea that I may just have to copy.
Nope, that's how mine is too. Makes it handy to use, store, etc. Doesn't need to be mounted, and in fact doesn't want to be!

Sakoluvr
04-25-2017, 01:27 PM
Drew, just saw your purple heart set up. Sweet. Going to go the same route. Looks like a handle length base will take care of the leverage. Thanks!

robg
04-25-2017, 05:55 PM
I've always used the round Lee hand tool .got 2 repaired the broken lever on them as you can't get them now .if I have to replace them i fancy the Lee bench tool as I've got all the shell holders I'm likely to need .

jmort
04-25-2017, 06:28 PM
I have heard that the handle for the square tray will work, but Lee will not confrim as they want all the round trays to disappear.

MT Chambers
04-25-2017, 06:34 PM
I'm in no hurry and like priming on my Co-ax, lots of feel when bottoming out primer, sometimes I like to use my 310 tool if I'm watching tv, again...good feel.

salpal48
04-25-2017, 07:37 PM
My two Favorite primer seaters are The Gun Clinic. and then The Vamco. The gun Clinic is Flawless and There is a Change over process from Large to small.
Vamco again Is simple push the slide and press the handle. Self Adjustable shell holder . minor change Over to small so I have 2

castalott
04-25-2017, 08:29 PM
The RCBS bench mount is very,very good. I bought mine abused and had to add some weight to the pivoting primer tube arm to stop the 'bounce'. It now works close to perfect. It doesn't have the leverage to seat like the new Lee bench mount. I use the Hornady vibrator 'pistol' to load my primer tubes. Get that figured out and loading the tubes is fast and efficient.

The lee Bench mount is fast and powerful. And eccentric! Works great one time and not the next. I went back to the RCBS unit.

I have bits and pieces of most of the hand prime systems. The oldest Lee and the newest RCBS are the best of these although I do not like to hand prime at all.

Somewhere I have 2 of the units that sit on top of the press and you use tweezers to put a single primer in and use the press ram power to seat. I have a Lee and an RCBS. I used to use these if I wanted to send the very best. They are a little slow but this priming is perfect.

kryogen
04-25-2017, 08:36 PM
I try to prime all I can on the dillon xl650. (9mm, 223).
Precision 308 gets reloaded on the forster co-ax, so I either prime with the lee ergo prime, or the lee safety prime on the single stage press.
I am not very strong, so I dislike hand priming, it gets tiring very fast for me. Easier on the press with the lee safety prime.
I don't prime enough 308 rounds in a session to get a kit for the xl650, not worth it. I do just 50-100 at a time.

I do batches of 1000+ rounds of 223 of 9mm, so single priming is out of the question.

Ole Joe Clarke
04-25-2017, 08:49 PM
I keep my RCBS under the table until I need it. I don't clamp it down, just use it as it's shown. Feel free to copy, glad I posted something that will help you.

Have a blessed day,

Leon

Lloyd Smale
04-26-2017, 06:36 AM
little bit of a learning curve to them but I wouldn't be without one. As a matter of fact I use two of them and have two more new ones stuck away in case they discontinue them again. I'm one that doesn't balk at spending money on loading tools that save me time and effort. I bought one of the Dillon fillers and all the parts to convert it from small and large primers. I fought that sob for a year. tried all of dillons suggestions like a adjustable rheostat, putting it on a rubber matt ect and it still never worked right. Even sent it back to them twice at there suggestion and it still never worked. I love Dillon stuff and this is the ONLY dillion product that was a waste of money in my opinion. For 300 bucks or more I could have bought 10 of those FA units. For under 50 bucks there is NO BETTER primer tube feeder made. Its not perfect but for less then 1/5 the price I can excuse the fact that there not flawless.

David2011
04-26-2017, 11:11 AM
I've tried several but prefer the RCBS Bench Priming Tool. IMO the feel of it is as good as any dedicated priming tool I've used.

308Jeff
04-26-2017, 11:21 AM
Those look like some serious priming tools, salpal.

Sur-shot
04-26-2017, 01:24 PM
I use the RCBS bench model priming tool, mounted, when using a single stage press. For the money, it is a best buy item.
Ed

jmort
04-26-2017, 02:17 PM
I use the RCBS bench model priming tool, mounted, when using a single stage press. For the money, it is a best buy item.
Ed

I have two of the RCBS tools. For the $$$, it is not a "best buy." That is like saying the Pro Melt is a best buy for the $$$. I have a Pro Melt which cost three times as much as the Lee Pro 4, 20. I have a 4-20 as well. The Pro Melt and Automatic Bench Priming Tool are both expensive tools. Worth it, but quality that you pay full freight price for.
Lee Auto Bench Prime, $25
RCBS Automatic Bench Priming Tool $85
I have two Lee Auto Bench Primes that together cost less than of one of my two RCBS Automatic Bench priming Tools. Let's be real.

Drew P
04-26-2017, 11:03 PM
I have two of the RCBS tools. For the $$$, it is not a "best buy." That is like saying the Pro Melt is a best buy for the $$$. I have a Pro Melt which cost three times as much as the Lee Pro 4, 20. I have a 4-20 as well. The Pro Melt and Automatic Bench Priming Tool are both expensive tools. Worth it, but quality that you pay full freight price for.
Lee Auto Bench Prime, $25
RCBS Automatic Bench Priming Tool $85
I have two Lee Auto Bench Primes that together cost less than of one of my two RCBS Automatic Bench priming Tools. Let's be real.
You lost me J. Is the lee auto bench prime as good as the rcbs tool? Is the rcbs the most expensive option? No, as I posted a 600$ priming tool.
To me it seems like a priming tool is one of the most important tools we have in this hobby because priming is:

fussy
requires "feel"
dangerous
necessary on literally every round we load for all calibers

so, 85$ doesn't seem like a lot for a quality tool that does the job. Not that I wouldn't rather it was less, but cmon, lets be real as you say, is a priming tool where we want to skimp? For the OP, obviously not, or he wouldn't have posted the question.

What I can't figure out is how people can use hand primers for very long, seems like a lot harder on the hands than I'd like. Heck I can almost get a blister using my RCBS bench primer.

dragon813gt
04-26-2017, 11:23 PM
"Best Buy" can only be determined by the individual paying for the tool. Price isn't a consideration for me when we're discussing "best buy." To me it means the best tool regardless of price. Buy once, cry once is usually the best option.

jmort
04-26-2017, 11:35 PM
We all have opinions. For $25 the Lee tool is a best buy as that term is commonly understood. I have two of each of the tools in questions so I can at least compare from experience. If someone considers the $85 RCBS a best buy so be it. I much prefer a tray as opposed to tubes. I much prefer the smaller foot print of the Lee tool. I have all four mounted on Inline Quick Change Plates. I find myself liking and using the Lee tool more often. I have around 10 Lee Round Tray hand primers that I still use as well. Regardless, I will always prime off the press.

VHoward
04-26-2017, 11:50 PM
The round tray I have from Lee fits the Ergo hand primer from Lee that takes those horrible folding trays.

flyingmonkey35
04-26-2017, 11:56 PM
I have been using the Lee Bench Prime of late
Have the RCBS bench primer and
And fleet of the old round trays and some others, Ram Prime, Lee Ergo etc.
For around $30 the Lee Bench Prime is my current favorite.
+ 1 for this one

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Bayou52
04-27-2017, 08:42 AM
So far, my favorite hand priming tool has been the discontinued RCBS Posi-Prime. It has a great feel to it, fits well in the hand and is very smooth in operation. The tool offers a great "feel" for when the primer is bottomed out. It uses standard shell holders. Have been using the Posi-Prime for quite some years now, and it continues to work very well.

Bayou52

WFO2
05-03-2017, 06:33 PM
Another vote here for the old Lee round hand priming tool .I have one set up for large primers and one for small . When I heard that they where discontinuing them I bought three spares .Now when I use my dillion I use the press mounted one .

km101
05-04-2017, 09:31 AM
And another vote for the old Lee round hand priming tool. I have gotten too used to it to change and I have enough spares and spare parts that I will wear out before they do.

i have tried other hand tools and two bench mounts but I keep coming back to the old Lee.

jetinteriorguy
05-05-2017, 02:44 PM
I guess I'm the odd one out, I absolutely 100% love the Lee Ergo Prime. Gives good feel for seating primers and just plain works. It took a little getting used to at first to get the right angle to hold it at, it doesn't have to be super precise but if too shallow won't feed properly and if too steep primers can tip sideways and slow things down. But there is a very generous amount of leeway before either of these things cause a problem so it's very easy to get used to it. Now having said this, I have the older model with the original square primer trays. Having tried the new folding primer trays on my Loadmaster and how crappy they work there, I wouldn't recommend them now unless these trays work better on the Ergo Prime than on the Loadmaster.

308Jeff
05-05-2017, 02:52 PM
Thanks, guys.

The old style round Lee's are what I use. Just didn't know if something much better had come along in the past few years.

Managed to grab a couple of extra Lee's here and there over the past few years.

Anyone know if someone makes a replacement handle? The first one I had broke a few years ago, and I still have the rest of the parts.

Gillie Dog
05-05-2017, 04:54 PM
I guess I'm the odd one out, I absolutely 100% love the Lee Ergo Prime. Gives good feel for seating primers and just plain works. It took a little getting used to at first to get the right angle to hold it at, it doesn't have to be super precise but if too shallow won't feed properly and if too steep primers can tip sideways and slow things down. But there is a very generous amount of leeway before either of these things cause a problem so it's very easy to get used to it. Now having said this, I have the older model with the original square primer trays. Having tried the new folding primer trays on my Loadmaster and how crappy they work there, I wouldn't recommend them now unless these trays work better on the Ergo Prime than on the Loadmaster.

I am with you. Much better for me than the other four or five hand helds I have used. I use the old round trays. But still my favorite is the press mounted Auto Prime II. To bad the lawyers got to the Auto Prime II but for those of us who have them, we are the lucky ones. Saw one on the bay for $102.00 recently and the other day one went for $26.00 so they are still around.

GD

Andy
05-06-2017, 08:54 AM
I really like the rcbs universal hand priming tool, once you factor in the cost of the special lee shellholders for theirs it's only about $15 more, permanently eliminates one more thing you have to keep track of and saves you swapping out a different shellholder for every different case

VHoward
05-06-2017, 11:35 AM
I really like the rcbs universal hand priming tool, once you factor in the cost of the special lee shellholders for theirs it's only about $15 more, permanently eliminates one more thing you have to keep track of and saves you swapping out a different shellholder for every different case
A whole complete set of those "special" Lee shell holders come to about $12 and they come in a case.

hd09
05-07-2017, 03:55 PM
The curved handle from the xr will work on the newer round tray models. Not sure when lee changed the arm it attaches to that pushes the priming post up but I have one that needed a little mod. The curved handle from the xr sticks out more square to the tool making it a little harder to use but they are $1.79 at midway on sale.

mauser98us
05-07-2017, 09:55 PM
The old Lee round press mounted model.Had mine for thirty years and probably primed a 100 thousand cases.Still works well.Wonder why it is not available anymore

omgb
05-07-2017, 11:33 PM
Ditto. I'm still using mine from 1978. I love it and will never part with it. You can have my Lee, Hornady and RCBS hand tools.....all crappy in comparison

deadeye ruck
05-23-2017, 10:29 AM
It depends on what you want to do. Sinclair makes a great one but it is not designed for high volume.