PDA

View Full Version : Question on Weighing cast bullets for consistency

Tripplebeards
04-23-2017, 06:11 PM
I just made my first batch of a 100 bullets and was going to weigh them so see how close they are to one another. How many grains in variance is acceptable before you experienced shooters see groups opening up. My bullet I am working with is a lee 310g 44 mag And will be shooting it out of my 77/44 around a hundred yards.

DocSavage
04-23-2017, 06:26 PM
My variance is 1% on my cast bullets but is usually less than that.

bullseye67
04-23-2017, 08:17 PM
Good afternoon,
I measure and weigh rifle boolits only. I use a simple system. For a 2 cavity mold, I weigh in 5 boolit batches. This way I eliminate the difference between cavities. If it is a 4,5 or more cavity mold and the boolits are light enough up to 10 boolits for the batches. This establishes a base number. Using LEE 170 FN in 30 cal, LEE says 170gr. 2 batches of 5 boolits should be 850grX 2 average of 170gr.....my rifle alloy has them at 890, 893, for an average of 178.3gr. I now mark a tray + and a tray - As I weigh the boolits they end up in 2 piles. That is usually as far as I go for plinking. For target work I sort to 2gr. Using the same boolits, 177.3 and 179.3 are all weighed out, if most fit into this bracket I use the rest for foulers and plinking, if not, I use the next bracket 175.8 and 177.8, 179.8 and 181.8. I have found that the heavier the boolits the bigger the difference in weight can be without a change of impact.
If you want to make things easier use a mold chart by keeping 5 boolits from each cavity seperate and measure and weigh out an average for the cavity. The picture is of a 6 cavity mold but you can see how it works.
When shooting the heaviest and the lightest boolits in "MY" rifles. The POI moves up or down from the POA by about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch at 50 yards. For plinking at up to 100 yards it all works!
Have an awesome week:drinks:

runfiverun
04-23-2017, 09:05 PM
pull the shiny smooth ones first.

your gonna have a 2-3 grain variance, the key is to keep them all in that window.
your just weighing looking for the outliers. [voids or extra weight]
after doing that 1-2 times and shooting them, you'll figure out how many your really looking for in a casting run.

Smk SHoe
04-24-2017, 10:12 PM
If you don't weight them you have a built in excused for the fliers:p

Seriously, I usual give 1% ish either way when weighing rifle bullets. I mostly ring steel and work transition drills so maximum accuracy isn't needed.